4.26.2023

"Don't Ignore Your Health" Weekly Wisdom

Inspirational quote in black letters on a white background surrounded by red polka dots

What was the last thing your did for your long term health?

Lots of thoughts in my head this week about preventative health as I had my first colonoscopy (more on that later). Preventative medicine is the exact reason of why I went into dietetics. I thought I wanted to be a doctor until I saw the "sick side" of medicine and knew that was not the path for me. I wanted to be on the preventative side and nutrition seems like the area I could really help people with their health, happiness and longevity. 

But many many many people are not hip on preventative health. And I do know healthcare is a luxury for some and I understand that.  Many that do not have healthcare would do anything for the opportunity to have access to preventative medicine. It is the humans who have healthcare who do not use their resources. They avoid yearly physicals and dental exams, they avoid vaccinations and preventative testing and exams, they avoid mental health and seeking out professionals to help them when they are in need. I hear things like "I don't have time", "they don't really do anything during my physical", "I don't want to know what is wrong with me", "I don't need a therapist, I can get through this on my own."

WTH?

If we do not take ownership of our own health, each and everyday, we are just showing our heartbeats what it will be like to live without us. Of course this starts with the basics:  hydration, sleep, nutrition, physical activity, connection. But sometimes, we need to look at the big picture and know there is a time do a little more. If you have access, get the physical, go to the dentist, do the mammogram - so your heartbeats can have you around for as long as possible. 

#quality | #embracethehellyeah

~AE


 

No comments:

Post a Comment