11.02.2022

"Shampoo Your Brain" Weekly Wisdom

 

Inspiration quote in black letters on a white background with a black and grey polka dot boarder.

How many hours of sleep do you get a night?

Sleep. Wow, I used to think 6 hours a night was really good. I thought I felt great. I thought I was running on a full tank of gas everyday. Then it would dwindle to 5 hours and only then, is when I felt the impact. 

Until I started sleeping 7-8 hours a night. 

I realized I was running on fumes when it was <6 hours a night. What was I thinking?  Who can survive on a depletion of sleep over and over again?  I think of the mamas out there with babies, or people with insomnia, what a struggle it is for them to get adequate sleep. And now, I am entering into a new biological stage in life, I find myself struggling to get those quality hours while realizing how important they are to my long term health. 

It is not cool to run on empty and caffeine everyday. Coffee has a place, energy drinks do not. No one should be happily fatigued and think they are going to live a long and happy life. Sleep does so much for our bodies but most important it shampoos our brain. We need to clean and clear our brain each day to keep it functioning to maximum capacity, to keep our cells happy and keep our neurons synapsing appropriately. I want my brain to keep up with my body as it ages and vice versa and the #1 way for that to happen to is move and sleep. 

I know we have a lot on our plates and endless things to do in a day, but please take care of yourself and aim for >7 hours a night. I would rather win a sleep contest than a social contest, how about you?

Turn off your phones and televisions, turn off your lights. Get into bed, get cozy and get your ass to sleep. 

#bigdietitianenergy | #embracethehellyeah

~AE

No comments:

Post a Comment