6.29.2022

"But Did You Apply Sunscreen" Weekly Wisdom

Quote about health in black letters on a white background with a photo of a cute girl.
But  really, did you apply sunscreen?

We contemplate and hopefully do a lot of things for our health. We focus on eating nutritiously, staying hydrated, working on our fitness, getting enough sleep, and decreasing our stress. There are endless pills and potions we can buy to cure any ailment or help us live longer. There is one non-negotiable for me that pairs nicely with my fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, dairy and water. 

It is and always will be sunscreen. 

I will forgo all the other tempting snake oils on the market claiming to help me age gracefully and decrease my wrinkles, which is on my mind because of my age. I want to look at feel the best I can for as long as I can. But guess what?  Nothing will work if you don't have a prevention mindset. A prevention mindset is the exact reason we eat more nutritious or make daily physical activity happen. We are trying to prevent the breakdown of our bodies and sunscreen is part of this equation. 

Your skin is the largest organ and has a surface area around 2 square meters which equates to about 16% of your total body weight. To put this into perspective, the second largest organ is your liver and it equates to about 2% of your total body weight and think about the importance we put on our liver health?  Your skin should get the same love. 

Wear sunscreen, everyday. Even for all my friends who experience different seasons, it doesn't matter. SPF 30 is my favorite, doesn't need to be higher and definitely should not be lower, it should be broad spectrum (to catch those UVB and UVA rays) and try to find water resistant. 

I have tried A LOT of sunscreens and my favorite for face is Elta MD UV Clear Broad Spectrum 46 and for body is Sun Bum SPF 30 Spray and don't forget your lips with my favorite being Sun Bum SPF 30 Mineral (for the ladies, the tinted balms are lovely too!). Don't forget to all the little places that tend to burn the most like your earlobes, scalp, tops of your feet and toes and under your buns. 

If you sweat, swim or cry, reapply. 

#bigdietitianenergy | #embracethehellyeah

~AE





 

No comments:

Post a Comment