8.11.2021

"Let's Not Drink About it" Weekly Wisdom

 

"Let's Not Drink About it" Weekly Wisdom

When you are stressed do you reach for a cocktail?

Ok, don't fall out of your chair that I am saying let's NOT drink about it. I love a nice cocktail, don't get me wrong but I am a little concerned about the increase of alcohol intake over the past couple years. I have actually started drinking less since the pandemic hit last year and honestly, I couldn't feel better.  I am actually less stressed, less fatigued, thinking more clearly, sleeping better, and being more productive. 

According to a recent study published in JAMA Network Open, as the COVID-19 pandemic surges, more people may be turning to alcohol to cope with unprecedented uncertainty and stress.  The study found that alcohol consumption among adults increased by 14% from 2019 to 2020. Women, in particular, were more affected than men.

Now I love a celebration with some bubbles, a cocktail and conversation with friends and a funny wine meme but I am not as concerned with the alcohol consumption as much as I am concerned that people are sad, stressed and suffering - and not talking about it. 

Instead of drinking about our feelings, we need to truly start talking about our feelings. We were all stressed and fatigued before the pandemic, I cannot even imagine how everyone is feeling now. We need to really talk about things to work through things we are going through. Maybe it is with friends, families or co-workers. Maybe you need a neutral ear and it's time for a therapist. Whatever you need, don't "bottle" it in - let's talk about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment