6.30.2021

"Dear Dietitian - Get Your Seat at the Table" Weekly Wisdom

Inspirational Dietitian Quote in black letters on a gray polka dot background

As a dietitian, do you feel you have a seat at the nutrition table?

There are just some days I feel defeated as a nutrition professional. So much nutrition noise is out there, booming like fireworks across the airwaves and interwebs by people who are not registered dietitians. It makes me crazy but it also makes me sad. Sad because I do not think we are seen as experts, we are not valued and we are not touting some crazy hook with the sound and science based knowledge we have. 

We need to have a hook, we need to keep giving nutrition a sexy, science edge. 

What is going to set us apart and make us more dominate at this nutrition table?  What is going to get a permanent seat - ALL entities will immediately think of us when it comes to nutrition. I believe what is going to set us apart is being more loud, being more bold and being more "in-your-face" with what we know. We need to be strong and honestly a little more pushy when it comes to getting there. We need to call others out on their nutrition BS and not feel bad when we do it. I used to be the person who would just let it go when I see someone sharing incorrect nutrition information and I feel like I am part of the problem for doing so. If I keep letting it go, I let it get bigger and bolder. 

The only way we are going to get there is to have a hook, based on science, and keep it on repeat. Turning up the volume at all the right times to drown out the others sitting in our chairs. 

#embracethehellyeah

~AE



 

No comments:

Post a Comment