4.22.2020

"What is Your Food Superpower?" Weekly Wisdom

White background with grey polka dots with the words I'm not great at growing plants but I'm great at eating them

What is your food superpower?

I remember when I was little, my grandpa would pick up my sister and I after dinner for a 3 wheeler ride. He would take us out to the farm and we sometimes would snack along the way. We would stop by the mulberry trees and coat our lips and fingers in different shades of purple and then we would stop by his garden and snack on fresh peas from the pod. My absolute favorite is when he would pull the long and skinny spring onions before they turned round and plump and let me eat them to my hearts content. I can still taste how delicious they were. There is nothing like food fresh from the earth.  

I have tried a few times to grow things. I really kind of suck at it. I have sustained the life of a few house plants but as far as growing food...not so much. I have managed a few herbs here and there, one tomato plant and that's about it. I keep trying each year but I have decided I am much better at eating plants than growing them. And I welcome all kinds of plants in all forms, as long as I do not have to grow them. 

There is a lot of patience and a lot of work that goes into growing and supplying our food to us. Just thinking about having to help with a garden by pulling weeds and watering is a lot of work, think of that on a grander scale?  Farmers and ranchers of all kinds are all committed to growing the food we depend on. Empty shelves in the grocery store can cause concerns but it would be even more concerning if fields weren't planted and barns were empty. Farmers and ranchers cannot stop planting their crops or stop caring for their animals. They are #StillFarming during all questionable times we go through. 

Everyday, I am beyond grateful for those who produce our food as I grab my milk, spinach, blueberries and chia seeds and make my morning smoothie. We are so lucky to have so many options of nutritious and safe food. I am so lucky I do not have to grow or produce my own food (it would be a little dicey). 

I thank them all for their food growing superpower and will continue to use mine to consume their delicious products. 

#embracethehellyeah

~AE

No comments:

Post a Comment