11.06.2019

October "Embrace the Hell Yeah" Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom. 

Inspirational Quote about sleep

How do you function on a minimal amount of sleep?

How are all my FNCE friends doing today?  Sleep deprived?  Travelling home with bags stuffed full of goodies?  Full of inspiration and knowledge? If you say hungry, I might be a little concerned for you (ha ha). Another great conference has come and gone, which makes me grateful and extremely tired. I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I hope you had a great experience and feel rejuvenated in your profession. I hope you went back to your dietitian "aha" moment and rekindled with all the reasons why you became a dietitian in the first place. I kind of lose touch of that during the year because I get so overwhelmed with the day to day and question why I chose dietetics in the first place. 

How you feel right now (minus exhausted)...you need to bottle it up and keep it for your next rainy dietitian day. Within the next few days, journal about your experience and write down all the warm and fuzzy feelings you are having about you career in the present and where you want to take your career in the future. This documentation will be pivotal in staying the course of your goals and not giving up on your professional dreams. Conference motivation fades quickly if you do not take some sort of action on what you learned, who you connected with and resources you obtained. Within this next week, give yourself 3 action items to complete to keep the momentum going. 

These are mine:

1. Catch up on sleep
2. Follow-up with contacts by email and connect on social media
3. Organize and condense my notes from the lectures attended applicable to my practice.

Extra Credit:  Pencil in FNCE for next year. 


Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 



What makes you say “hellyeah” at the end of the day?  For any question I am asked or I ask myself, if I cannot 100% say hell yeah as my answer then it is a hell no. I want you to embrace saying yes with your whole heart and soul by enjoying every part of your authentic life. At the end of each month, I want to get more up close and personal with you all on the other side of the airwaves and share with you more about how my podcast guests are I are doing our best to #embracethehellyeah.  In this post-FNCE episode, I just had to debrief on all the happenings and what a great experience it was this year. 

Connect and let me know what you think by emailing me or on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter

Nosh Three. Monthly Hell Yeah!

National Pork Month

October was National Pork Month and I am a huge fan of pork. Once of my favorite cuts of pork is the tenderloin and I forgot how delicious it is. The #1 important thing to remember when cooking pork is temp to 145 degree and not overcook.  Pork is very lean and dries out quickly and cooking to 145 degrees is the key to a juicy and delicious product.  This recipe for Cuban Pork Tenderloin is really great and easy to prepare. 

Cuban Pork Tenderloin
Recipe adapted from www.eatpork.com , Serves 6

































































































            







QuantityIngredientAdd
1 ½ lbs.Hy-Vee Midwest pork tenderloin, trimmed
¼ c.fresh orange juice
¼ c.fresh grapefruit juice
2 tbsp.Gourmet gardens cilantro
1 tsp.Hy-Vee ground cumin
1 tsp.Hy-Vee dried oregano leaves
2 clove(s)garlic, minced
½ tsp.kosher salt
½ tsp.Hy-Vee crushed red pepper

Primary Media



Recipe Dat


Directions

1. In a large bowl, whisk together orange and grapefruit juices, cilantro, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes. Pour into a large plastic bag. Add pork; seal and refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.

2. Bake tenderloin as according to pork package directions. The last few minutes, change oven temp to broil. 

3. Transfer pork to a cutting board and allow to stand 3 to 5 minutes. Cut and serve with desired sides.


Cocktail Club

October is also a special month of birthdays. We celebrated my friend Jason with fun little Cocktail Club featuring the Clover Club which is realllly delicious. My friend Kevin even made Raspberry Syrup from scratch.
  1. Recipe Source: modified from EatPork.org 


Author


Get Your Flu Shot

I celebrated October with my flu shot. I get one every year. Not for myself but for all the other people in this world who are immuno-compromised. There are many people who are battling harsh medical issues and I never want to be the reason someone gets the flu. The flu can be deadly, be wise and vaccinate yourself. 

Birthday Cake

Birthday #2 was for my cousin Christine. We made sure to eat well and sing well to celebrate her special day. Our night consisted of 2 bottles of Meomi, meat and cheese boards, cake and great conversation. 

Blowing out birthday candles

I hope she made some pretty amazing wishes. 

Photo of a white house

And finally, I am celebrating something I am very grateful for and that in 10 years of living in my home. It was this week, 10 years ago, I moved in. Kind of a similar day, raining and chilly. This was house #2 as the first one was to be completed in May of 2009 but the builder went bankrupt and the house was left incomplete. There has been A LOT of challenges with this home from a flooded basement, twice, and a bathroom ceiling caving in, broken window, cracked sidewalks, a divorce and many others. But it is mine. It is cozy. And I love coming home to sit in my chair each night by the fireplace and snuggle with Lil g.

Nosh Four. Monthly Mixtape. 

October 2019 Mixtape
October's Mixtape is inspired by my travels to Philly and what my friend Dave Sherotski made sure I had on my playlist. You can find it on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Flower arrangement

Christine was too sweet to me and brought me flowers on her birthday. One thing I have been focusing on this month is setting up my eating surroundings to be special. A cloth napkin, a candle, sometimes flowers and music in the background. There is something meditative about cooking a meal and then taking the time to eat it in a comfortable environment. It's all about the little things that can lead to big things. I think this way of enjoying my food is changing my mindset about really taking the time to taste my food. 


#embracethehellyeah | #lessstuffmorelife

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment