9.25.2019

September "Embrace the Hell Yeah" Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.


Inspirational quote

Do storms scare you or do you like them?

Yes, I am talking both metaphorically and literally. I am a huge fan of mild thunderstorms, there is something exciting about the wind picking up, dark skies and the rumbles of thunder which seem to calm me. I am not a fan of snowstorms or storms causing destruction. These destructive storms seem to be happening more and more in our world and the devastation it is causing is heartbreaking. It makes me more aware of the choices I make affecting our climate and doing my part to make changes, no matter how small. Every little thing adds up to big things and it starts with each of us. 

We are put through storms in our lives of all different kinds. How we get through them is the true test to our strength and what we learn from them. And we get through them. And it might take a little time to discover what the lesson is from them because when we are in the swell of the storm, it sucks. When it subsides and the calm sets in, that's when we rise, wiser and better than we were before the storm. 

Expect the unpredictable climate in your life sometimes. Know you are strong and will get through it. Don't try to out run it, it will only catch up to you and embrace what the universe is trying to help you with. There is always sunshine after a storm and sometimes even a rainbow for you to see. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast


What makes you say “hellyeah” at the end of the day?  For any question I am asked or I ask myself, if I cannot 100% say hell yeah as my answer then it is a hell no. I want you to embrace saying yes with your whole heart and soul by enjoying every part of your authentic life. At the end of each month, I want to get more up close and personal with you all on the other side of the airwaves and share with you more about how my podcast guests are I are doing our best to #embracethehellyeah.  This month, I’m continuing the conversation about my personal health quest and sharing a great place for registered dietitians to get great supplements for themselves and their clients. 


Connect and let me know what you think by emailing me or connecting with me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter

Nosh Three. Monthly Hell Yeah!

Lightning Strike on Water Heater transformer

Speaking of storms, here is the LITERAL storm story. I was at the gym one morning and a crazy storm blew through. I barely heard a thing because of the music playing at the gym and in my earbuds. Once I got home, it was raining but nothing crazy. I go to open my garage door and nada. I thought "no biggie - the power must be out."  But there were lights on in my house. Parked the car, went inside and my carbon monoxide tester was going off. No problem, reset that. Then I go to turn on the TV but no Internet connection. Go to resent the modem, not turning on. I walk into my bedroom and my ceiling fan is on turbo. I cannot shut it off.  Go back downstairs to make my "Daily Hell Yeah" protein smoothie and plug in my blender, it's not working. The kitty fountain is not working. Then the icing on the cake, the water heater stopped working. This photo is of my transformer in my water heater that was sizzled. 

My house was struck by lightning. 

Not directly, nothing was on fire, but very, very close. None of my neighbors had any problems. Just me. It was the weirdest thing ever. I spent the first 2 weeks of this month getting things repaired. A new modem, a new water heater and new garage door opener, quite a few new outlets and a new transformer for my fan. All replaceable and easy fixes. 

It could have been way worse and it really was an eye opener of all the luxuries I really have and how I can live without them.  I didn't have a melt down and just really felt grateful for everything I do have. Even in the middle of a few very cold showers telling myself "mind over matter"  storms come and go with the lessons lasting forever. 

Here is one home-owner lesson learned:  get a surge protector on your fuse box. All newly built homes in 2020 will have them automatically installed. They cost less than $120 and last for around 5 years. It will save you from a power surge or lightening strike that could wipe everything in your house like TV's and appliances. 

Heart Health Month and Walnut Pasta


September is a busy month of getting back to a routine after the craze of summer and I am working on my meal prepping game hard!  I am also trying to incorporate more plant-based components of my meals to pair nicely with a variety of proteins I am eating. At work, we recently had a heart-health promotion with California Walnuts and this was one of our delicious recipes. I also really enjoyed making my dressing from scratch and realized how easy it is and how much more I like the taste. I have made this a couple of times, most recently with grilled salmon in the mix.

Pasta Salad with Chickpeas, Walnuts and Arugula 


INGREDIENTS

PASTA SALAD

  • 4 ounces mozzarella cheese*, fresh
  • Black pepper, freshly ground
  • 1/2 pound pasta shells, whole-wheat, small or medium-sized (up to 1-inch), dried
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
  • 1 cup arugula (about 8 ounces)**, packed, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup California walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
  • 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained (1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas)

DRESSING

  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon garlic (about 1 good-sized clove), minced or crushed
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt (plus some for the pasta cooking water)
  • 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
*Luxury ingredient: Fresh mozzarella. It really makes a difference here. If you like, you can use those tiny fresh mozzarella balls (they are so good), and if they seem too big you can cut them in half, or even in quarters. Don’t make them too small, though, because it’s nice to bite into a chunk of fresh mozzarella in this texturally fun dish. If using a larger hunk of cheese, just cut it into large dice.
**Young, small (and therefore not-so-bitter) arugula is best for this. Just pinch off and discard any stem extending past the base of the leaf and use the rest. For older, larger arugula, remove and use only the leaves, and discard the stems.

PREPARATION

  1. Stir chickpeas, mozzarella and dressing together in a large bowl, and grind in a generous amount of black pepper. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, foil, or just a plate, and let it stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes.
  2. When you are ready to assemble the dish, put up a large pot of water to boil over high heat and add a tablespoon of salt. Place a large colander in the sink. When the water boils, add the pasta, keeping the heat high. Cook for the amount of time recommended on the package, checking it toward the end of the suggested time, to be sure it is not getting overcooked. When the pasta is just tender enough to bite into comfortably, dump the water-plus-pasta into the colander. Shake to mostly drain (it’s okay to leave some water clinging); then transfer directly to the chickpea mixture in the bowl.
  3. Toss well from the bottom, sprinkling in the Parmesan, chopped arugula, tomatoes and walnuts as you go. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

DRESSING

  1. In a bowl, combine the vinegar, garlic, salt, thyme and oregano; whisk to blend. Keep whisking as you drizzle in the olive oil until it is fully incorporated.
  2. Makes about 1/2 cup dressing.

NUTRITION

KISS in concert Des Moines, Iowa

The biggest highlight of my month and biggest HELL YEAH of the month was seeing KISS in concert. You all know if you read the blog how much I love live music and try to go to at least 3 concerts a year. This was number 5!  Now, prior to this concert, I cannot say I was a fan. I liked a few songs here and there but it was not on my radar to actually "go" to a concert. 

KISS in concert, Des Moines, Iowa featuring Gene Simmons

I am totally a fan now!

KISS in concert Des Moines, Iowa

KISS puts on an amazing show and I seriously was shocked how many songs I actually knew. Gene Simmons is goofy and fun to interact with on stage (I was sitting 2nd ROW!) and Paul Stanley has some serious lungs. There were lasers and confetti and fire and smoke and fireworks and streamers and fake blood. There people of all ages including kids and 3 guys behind us (who didn't know each other) all had full back tattoos of KISS. The crowd was great with tons of people decked out in KISS costumes and full on makeup. Seriously bad ass and soooo much fun. I would highly recommend you catch them on their #EndoftheRoad tour, even if you only know a couple songs. 

Central Iowa Dietetic District Association Fall Meeting

The month ended with this years kick off event for the Central Iowa District Dietetic Association group in Des Moines with a great speaker, Katie Martin, on food pantries and the role of the RD.

Did you know?

-1 in 9 Americans rely on food pantries on a chronic basis
-There are 200 Food Banks in the United States
-There are 60,000 charitable food programs in the United States
-Many of our agricultural companies donate food to local food banks
-Clients of food banks rank fruits, vegetables and lean proteins as items they want most with healthy food being less available in low-income neighborhoods

RD's can partner with different food banks to help with education, recipes, shopping and other ways to offer their expertise with clients choosing foods. Katie works as the Executive Director for the Institute for Hunger Research & Solutions and is implementing an easy program to help individuals navigate the health of food in food banks with an easy green, yellow, red program. 

It was a great session with A LOT of food for thought. It is also important for all of us working with clients to be mindful of their food choice but also of their food security or insecurity. 

Nosh Four. Monthly Mixtape.

Monthly Mixtape Playlist
September's Mixtape is inspired by KISS blended with some other new songs I am enjoying right now. Find it on Apple Music and Spotify.
Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now.

Rosatis Pizza Waukee, Iowa

I love pizza. All kinds. Thin crust, thick crust, deep dish, you name it. I used to get to Chicago about every 3 years and enjoy a delicious deep dish when I am there. But the wait is over!  Have you heard of Rosatis?  It is a delicious pizza joint all over the United States with awesome eats like toasted ravioli, chicken parm sammies and I think the best deep dish and thin crust around (even better than a few Chicago deep dish legendary places, which I am saying quietly). They even have tiramisu by the slice and gluten-free options. Look them up and see if they are in your neighborhood. 

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment