8.08.2018

#WeeklyWisdom and Top 5 Adventures in Colorado Nutrition Noshes Part One

Nosh One. Wisdom.

#WeeklyWisdom:  Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown~Gaby Basora


Are a person who plans out your travel or do you wing it?

I used to be a serial planner of my travel. I would do a lot of research, book the travel and create a loose "itinerary" of all the things I wanted to do. It was exhausting and disappointing. I would get frustrated if things did not go as planned or if I did not make one of the planned destinations. Then I would be a brat and be unbearable to be around. Gross. 

The last few adventures have be very loosely planned. Meaning, the destination and mode of transportation has been determined but anything after that is whatever tickles my fancy. It is awesome to feel no pressure, excited for whatever the day brings and no negative vibes. It only took a couple of decades to figure it out. My friend Erin shared a great concept with me she calls "slow travel" where she comes back from vacation refreshed and energized rather than needing another vacation...from vacation. This is will be step 2 of my new found travel experience and really diving into the gorgeousness of teetering in the relaxation of the unknown. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast featuring Registered Dietitian Mary Purdy

Today’s conversation is with Mary Purdy, a registered dietitian, speaker, writer, video star and host of Mary’s Nutrition Show.

Over a year ago, I watched a video of a dietitian in a beautiful red dress dancing in the kitchen with leafy greens and kissing an onion. I knew in that moment I needed to meet this person and was thrilled when I was introduced to Mary through a previous guest, Krista Ulatowski. Mary has the most amazing energy and when I learned more about her unique journey, it is easy to understand how she is marrying all of her professional passions like the star that she is.


Connect with Mary at her website, subscribe to her YouTube Channel and subscribe/listen to her podcast on Itunes, Stitcher and Spotify.  You can also connect with her on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.

Nosh Three. Week in Review.

Last week at this time, I was packing my suitcase for an adventure with my mom to Colorado. We have made this voyage a few times in my life, well more than a few times. This was a frequent summer trip as a family to visit my Aunt Tedde and family. It was a little different this time without our other two travel companions and I know both of us thought of Dad and Kate numerous times throughout the trip. The trip seemed much faster as an adult than it ever did as a kid. I mean 8 hrs in a car when you are 10 is an eternity, as an adult, not so much. Funny how that happens.

Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, CO

We got there in the evening and the next day I planned on waking up and just seeing where the day would take me. Mom and Tedde were going to hang out for the day and I was going to explore.  I have been to Colorado Springs so many times and did all the things so many times, it was fun to see it all in a different light as an adult. 

Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, CO

I wonder how many times I walked by this sign and never read it?

Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, CO

I wonder how many times I went to the Garden of the Gods and complained on all the walking I had to do?  Probably a memory my Mom has blocked out of her mind. This is why I wanted to revisit and re-explore this beautiful park. I spent the entire afternoon there. I went inside the welcome center and read about all the history. I walked every trail in the park and got a lot of steps in to explore the beauty and peace I was surrounded by. There were parts of the trails where I saw no one. I also sat on a rock and was just peaceful, when I realized it was 45 minutes later and I was getting hungry. 

T-Byrd's Tacos & Tequila Downtown Colorado Springs, CO

I decided to drive downtown and explore there a little. I do not ever remember going there when we visited, so this was another fun part of the day. I parked the car and walked around downtown. There is a lovely park in the center of downtown and quite a few cute restaurants and shops. Since I was in Colorado, I knew tequila and tacos were going to be a must for my taste buds. Luckily, I found the perfect place. 
 T-Byrd's Tacos & Tequila Barbacoa Taco and Arta Anejo, Colorado Springs, CO

T-Byrd's Tacos & Tequila was just what I needed after a day of hiking. I am new to the Tequila world and never really consumed much of it after a certain night in college involving shots of Jose (ugh I still remember that hangover). They had a nice variety of tequilas. I have discovered I am a fan of sipping on a little Añejo, so I ordered a shot Arta Anejo because I thought the bottle was cool. My awesome bartender Kristie, informed me Arta is locally made in Denver, so I guessed I picked correctly. They made small batch tequilas made with Blue Weber Agave sustainably grown.  She also taught me that tequila should be served with oranges sprinkled with cinnamon to bring out the delicious flavors of the tequila. Lime and salt masks the taste of not go great tequilas to make it less harsh to consume. From now on, I will be ordering my sipping tequila with oranges and cinnamon. Thanks Kristie! 

Good Vibes Only T-Byrd's Tacos and Tequila Colorado Springs, CO

As I walked back to my car, I couldn't help but let this sign catch my eye. 

Cacao Chemistry Chocolatier and Pastisserie Colorado Springs, CO

Chocolate would sure be lovely after a spicy taco and tequila lunch. I love the name of the business and I had to go in: Cacao Chemistry.


Cacao Chemistry smelled like pure chocolate heaven the minute I walked in. I was greeted by a lovely gal behind the counter who immediately asked me if I wanted a sample. I wanted a sample of everything. I ended up trying a milk chocolate and a dark chocolate, both melted in my mouth like pure bliss. They had a table of macarons in all colors and flavors. 


A wall full of barks from sweet, savory and spicy. I especially liked the ability to choose different sizes of each creation so I could buy a small amount and try a bunch of things. I found out at checkout they also deliver nationwide, so when I need my next fix, I can make it happen. 

Cacao Chemistry Colorado Springs, CO

I decided to go with a 2-pack of double chocolate macarons, 70% dark chocolate discs and milk chocolate roasted hazelnut bark. Just a small amount of each choice was the perfect end to all of my days in Colorado. I almost put one on my pillow every night to be fancy. 

Summer dessert on the patio

I returned back to my Aunt Tedde's just in time to find out we had dinner plans at my cousin Jane and her husband Jim's house. We spent some time in their beautiful backyard that had meticulously manicured landscaping for a recent garden tour their home was featured in. We enjoyed lovely conversation, food and especially a summer treat I have not had in a long time: sliced fresh peaches and vanilla ice cream. This was probably my favorite eat of the day. Such good memories of summers pass...

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week.

Every road trip needs a playlist. I chose artists who are native to the state of Colorado and songs we couldn't get out of our heads during the trip. Find this weeks playlist on Apple Music and Spotify

Colorado Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

A 4-in-1 Tool for Outdoor Cooking with Confidence - Food and Nutrition Magazin

This past week, my review for the Maverick PT-60 Pocket Knife Thermocouple Digital Meat Thermometer was featured in Food and Nutrition Magazine. I am always excited to review products for this magazine and this tool is something even I can use when trying out my grilling AND food safety skills this summer. I have never used an easier thermometer and it makes me feel more confident to get the grill going all by my big girl self. 

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment