6.20.2018

#WeeklyWisdom and Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom. 
#WeeklyWisdom:  Replace What-ifs and should-haves with hell-yeahs and no regrets.

Have you donated your time to volunteer for something you are passionate about?

In 2009, I kind of fell into a volunteer position with a group I had a slight interest in and knew nothing about, known as the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. One of my peers was unable to fulfill her volunteer position and another dietitian, Stacey and I, decided to take over for her and also take a leap to try it out. After a couple of years being the Marketing co-chair, it was something I truly found to be one of the most rewarding experiences I had done to date. I realized how passionate I was about my profession and supporting other registered dietitians along this crazy but delightful journey. 

I had those wandering thoughts of changing my mind and not volunteering but I can honestly say the day I committed in 2009, I changed a questionable confidence in myself I never knew existed. The feelings I had that day, reminds me I never want to have what-ifs and should-haves. I only what to have hell-yeahs and no regrets on the rest of this life I have been given. If you find yourself on the fence when thinking about committing to something bigger than you and it is hard to get it off your mind, simply ask yourself:  do I want to look back and say I wish I would have? 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast featuring Registered Dietitian Allison Tropf

Today’s conversation is with Allison Tropf, a registered dietitian who specializes in eating disorders, sports nutrition and is passionate about helping individuals develop a healthy relationship with food and their bodies.

At the end of April, I headed to the beautiful state of Michigan to speak with the Michigan Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics during their Annual Meeting. Each time I travel, I love having the opportunity to meet new people and hopefully podcast with them. Allison became my new friend in Michigan and we had the best conversation. Allison’s passions for sports nutrition and eating disorders come from a deeply rooted personal experiences in both. She was a collegiate athlete who struggled with her own eating disorder and shares her story of recovery and her purpose of helping individuals like herself. She bravely started her own practice and is now living her professional dreams. Allison provides a lot of great insight and advice on starting a private practice and sincerely shares it all from a genuine personal place.


Connect with Allison on her website ALT Performance Nutrition, Facebook and Twitter

Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

Last Friday, June 15th, I officially transitioned out of my volunteer experience with my state dietetic affiliate, the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (IAND). Today, I am sitting at my beloved Caribou Coffee, enjoying my favorite RXBAR, where many a meeting took place and reflecting on the past 9 years and why I wouldn't trade this experience for the world. 

Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

When looking back, a lot of personal things happened during those nine years. I started a new job and was learning a whole new career path, I built a house, I became a godmother (5 times!), I experienced a pretty intense car accident, I got malignant melanoma,  I got a divorce, I lost my grandpa, my father and my sister, I wrote a book, I started a podcast, I had speaking opportunities around the country and ultimately, I found myself. In a way, I think volunteering for this organization was the one consistent thing I was doing among all the chaos in my personal life. It gave new meaning to my professional life and kept me focused on something I could control. 

IAND:  Registered Dietitians the Real Nutrition Experts

It also gave me opportunity to grow as a registered dietitian. I was able to meet new people I would have never crossed paths if it wasn't for IAND.  I discovered I really thrived in an environment where all the dietitians come from different experiences and backgrounds. I wanted to get to know them and understand what fuels their fires. I was also a great way to learn about the variety of jobs dietitians in Iowa are doing and how many amazing RD's we have in our state. Including this beauty below, Erin, who has become one of my favorite dietitian person!

Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting with Erin Thole Summers

My second favorite adventure with IAND has been being a marketing co-chair, doing media and working with partners. There are many people who make IAND a success and we appreciate the partners who assist us along the way. One of the most important reasons to volunteer with your state affiliate is to spread the good word about registered dietitians. We are the real food and nutrition experts and we need to be recognized by everyone where we live as their go-to for nutrition information. IAND increased the strength of our media spokespersons group during my time and we increased awareness on WHO13 and KCCI in Des Moines by having our own media spots, as well as featuring Iowa partners like Iowa Choice Harvest

Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics WHO13 Media with Megan Reuther

Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics KCCI News Media with Iowa Choice Harvest

We have also made a lot of great informational and fun videos, commercials and featured videos to highlight our members and our organization. 


If you have ever volunteered for your state affiliate, it is tough to find people willing to take on the more challenging rolls. About year 3, I was learning it is very common for affiliates to recycle those members into different positions because of their willingness to volunteer. Our state organizations need more buy in from our membership on why it is important to take a role on the boards and councils. The time commitment varies with the positions. If it has been on your mind, there is no time like the present to find a position fitting to your schedule. We have volunteers from all walks of life, including jobs and family. As I was seeing the struggle to find volunteers, I decided to take the leap and run for president in 2013. Talk about going all-in with this 3 year commitment but I felt a tugging on my heart to do this.

Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Executive Board 2015-16

Not only did I have Lori and Christy by my side to teach and guide me, but we have the most dedicated and outstanding Executive Director, Monica.  She is the best teacher, support system and advisor a president and IAND could have. She sets the tone for our group and the consistency from year to year is all because of her. During my 3 year term, there were some trials and tribulations, endless emails and conference calls but there were great annual meetings, conversations and laughs which are something to be said for. I sat back on Friday during our transition meeting and was so proud to see all the work that has been down and the individuals who are continuing the passion to progress our great organization. 

Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Media Spokesperson

Around 1 pm, the gavel was passed from our current President Becky to our new President, Erin (see there is a reason why we are connected) and officially I transitioned the Marketing Chair position to a fantastic dietitian, Katie. She is young, smart and will do great things during her time volunteering. I will continue as a media spokesperson for a little while and will relish in the newness of all the volunteers who will continue advancing our profession in Iowa. 

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

Music and memories always go together in my world and the Iowa Academy will always bring great ones to mind. Enjoy this weeks IAND Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify

Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (IAND) Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

One of my favorite things we did during my time with IAND and what I love right now, was make some great t-shirts. These will be the t-shirts I will wear until I am 100. They are soft and really provide a clear message of why registered dietitians are so awesome. 

Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics T-shirts on eatrightiowa.org/store

We have limited quantities of different colors online, so make sure to grab one before they are gone by going to the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Store

It's been a great experience being a part of the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

Thank you Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for all you have given me and our profession. The experience has been priceless. 

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment