6.27.2018

#WeeklyWisdom and Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.

#WeeklyWisdom:  There is more to life than arguing about diet philosophy...what do you want your legacy to be? ~Amber Pankonin

What do you want your legacy to be in terms of nutrition communications?

As I was driving to work on Monday, I listened to my friend Amber's podcast, Healthy Under Pressure. During the first 5 minutes, she is speaking with her husband, Ben, about how there is more to life as registered dietitians than arguing about diet philosophy or what kind of dietitian we are. She continues to discuss more about how dietitians are communicating their messaging and questions how she will be known in communicating her own nutrition messages. Which made me think a little bit more about my own. How am I creating my legacy?

Everyone has their own way of sharing their ideas, expertise and philosophies when it comes to something they are passionate about. What is more important is to understand how your delivery leaves a lasting impression. Amber mentions in her podcast, everyone, including dietitians, have their own set of pressures. Creating conflict with other dietitians over the way we communicate with each other and the public, should not be one of those pressures. Focus on your own legacy, focus on how you want to leave something important behind. Be mindful of what you stand for, write, speak and non-verbally communicate...make it meaningful, make it unique and always make it significant. 


Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation.

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast: June's Top 5 in 5

Each week, I put out my Weekly Wisdom Blog which includes my Top 5 Nutrition Noshes: Wisdom, Weekly Conversations, Week in Review, Workout Playlist of the Week and What I Love Right Now. At the end of each month, I want to get more up close and personal with you all on the other side of the airwaves. I will be recapping my crazy, delicious and random as hell adventures as well as having a conversation with you all on this side of the mic. It’s my Top 5 in 5. The first day of summer was last week and I am looking forward to the beautiful (and hot) months ahead. I also talk a little bit more about it is never too late to reinvent yourself. Enjoy!
Connect and let me know what you think by emailing me or connecting with me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter

Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

As I sat back and started to review my past week, I really did not do much except eat!  I wasn't gallivanting all around the town and decided to spend a little more time at home. But I did manage to get enough fuel for the week.

Fleur Drive Hy-Vee, Poke Bowls by Sushi Chef David.

Most of you who read the blog know I work in the best grocery store in the land, Fleur Drive Hy-Vee. I have been there 10 years (whooooaaaaa) and I have gotten to know a lot of my co-workers really well. I am also always on the hunt for something new, healthy (or healthier) and delicious. Sushi Chef David, introduced me to something I have been very curious about, the Poke bowl. 

Poke bowls available in the Sushi Department of Fleur Drive Hy-Vee

Poke bowls (pronounced POH-keh) are delicious bowls with fresh, raw marinated fish on top of rice or lettuce, mixed with fresh veggies and a variety of flavorful sauces. It is native to Hawaii and I have seen them all over social media, which sparked my curiosity. I am very partial to our Sushi department because it is delicious. It seriously is the freshest sushi I have had and I appreciate how I can order a fresh item anytime I want and Chef David will make it right then and there. I was a little leery about trying a Poke bowl. I have always been comfortable with raw fish inside a rice roll and wrapped in seaweed but not sure of it in a bowl setting. It had raw tuna and salmon, edamame, cucumbers, green onions and avocado, sprinkled with sesame seeds all on top of fresh lettuce and it was so good. I will be having one again in the near future. Have you had Poke bowls? What is your favorite combination?

Waukee Ice Cream Shoppe, Waukee, Iowa

Waukee Ice Cream Shoppe, Waukee, Iowa

Friday evening was lovely outside. The unbearable 90 degree weather decided to take a little break and it was the best night to head to downtown Waukee for a little ice cream. The Waukee Ice Cream Shoppe never disappoints. The line was not as long as usual and there were plenty of benches to sit on in the park close by. The grass was green, the air was cool and the ice cream was sweet. Perfect Friday night.

Breakfast in Bed:  Pancakes, eggs and berry love!

I also decided to treat myself to breakfast in bed over the weekend and got fancy with my fruit. There is nothing like the fruit in the summer. It is so sweet and pairs so well with a variety of dishes. I made a few pancakes with my trusty Kodiak Cakes mix, made a mini omelet and put some love on top with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries from my Hy-Vee. All weekends should start like this. 

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

Enjoy this weeks "Leaving a Legacy" playlist on Apple Music and Spotify

"Leaving a Legend" Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

What I Love Right Now:  Pre-made Hard Cooked Peeled Eggs

I stood in front of the egg aisle last week and was mesmerized by the new additions of hard-cooked peeled eggs, all right in front of my eyes and ready to rock. Boiling eggs is not my strong suits, I am not really sure if it is anyone's strong suit. While I was home a couple of weeks ago, my Mom mentioned a recipe she saw for the perfect boiled egg, so we tried it. It wasn't so perfect. These are perfect and I do not have to wrestle with the shell.  High quality proteins, such as eggs, are easily digested and contain all the essential amino acids for muscle build. One of these ready-to-eat hard cooked eggs has 6 grams of protein and when paired with yogurt, will provide me with enough protein to promote muscle protein synthesis after a morning workout. Just another incredibly easy and enthusiastic way to get my day started with good eats. 

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment