6.13.2018

#WeeklyWisdom and #NationalDairyMonth Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.

#WeeklyWisdom: National Dairy Month Food Puns
What is your favorite dairy delicious food?

Mine has changed over the years. As a kid and teen, I loved milk. I was the kid who grabbed the gallon out of the fridge and drank it from the container when no one was looking (sorry Mom, now you know). It was the best when it was cold or on a big bowl of Life Cereal. Then in my 20s, it was the one of the two items on my shopping list each week, the other being Mac and Cheese. Now, I cannot get enough cheese, yogurt and making my own coffee and matcha lattes.  When I discovered the vast variety of cheese and yogurt in the grocery store and how easy it was to make lattes at home, it was like celebrating my birthday on the daily. 

I have dabbled here and there in the non-dairy versions of many foods, but I always come back to the nutrition profile and deliciousness of dairy. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation.

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast featuring Registered Dietitian Susie Roberts

Today’s conversation is with Susie Roberts, a second career dietitian who was attending the same college as her teenage son when she purposely and passionately choose dietetics.

A few years into my retail dietetic career, I was contacted by Susie asking if she could interview me on my role as a registered dietitian. When we met and started talking, I kept finding myself wanting to interview her about all the professional experiences she has had in her lifetime. All of her jobs actually lead her to becoming a dietitian, without her really even knowing it until much later in life. Susie is the perfect example of it is never to late in your life to do what you love. She is also the perfect example a very passionate dietitian who I know has inspired many other individuals along the way and is now using her expertise in leadership in her current job.


Connect with Susie by email.
Nosh Three. Week in Review.


June is National Dairy Month #UndeniablyDairy


Happy National Dairy Month!  June is one of my favorite food months because of all the awesome ways dairy makes the summer special. Right now, I love making charcuterie boards for patio parties and get-togethers. There is also nothing like ice cream during the summer, I have been going up and down the frozen department looking at all the new fun products out there. 

My usual #undeniablydairy delicious breakfast

During the summer, I am not a huge hot breakfast kind of girl, so this has been my go-to breakfast. Dairy is nutritious. Dairy foods – milk, cheese and yogurt – are simple, real ways to provide you and your family with the energy and nutrients you need. By having my yogurt, cheese and frozen latte, I am getting foods with minimal ingredients, with milk being the foundation for all the dairy foods I love.  I am getting calcium, protein and other essential nutrients to keep my bones and muscles strong for my crazy and active lifestyle. When I think about my protein needs of around 100 grams a day, I know animal-sourced protein is higher quality than plant protein. To get the same level of quality protein, a person usually has to eat 20%-30% more plant protein than animal sourced protein. Which is why I combine the two at different meals throughout the day. A cheese stick and radishes is one of my favorite snacks. 

Did you know most people live within 100 miles or less of a local dairy farm? Milk travels from farm to store in about 48 hours—that’s pretty amazing right?  I know living here in Iowa, my milk is so fresh and I try to choose local products to ensure I am supporting farmers where I live. The best part about supporting my local farmers is knowing how much they love their cows. When I visit with a Dairy Farmer, there is so much passion and love for what they do. It makes even more proud to know them in my community. 

#UndeniablyDairy Delicious Peanut Butter Pie

This past week, we celebrated a birthday in one of my classes and I wanted to make something delicious with the use of dairy products to celebrate June. This is a great summer recipe and you do not even need to heat up the kitchen. 

#UndeniablyDairy Delicious Peanut Butter Pie
Ingredients:
5 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup powdered peanut butter, prepared
8 oz fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 reduced-fat graham cracker pie crusts
2 tbsp mini chocolate chips, chopped
2 tbsp peanut butter chips, chopped
1 pkg - Justin’s Peanut Butter Cup, cut into 8 pieces
Directions:
Beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar together in a medium bowl.
Mix in powdered peanut butter and beat until smooth.
Beat in whipped topping for 3-5 minutes or until mixture is fluffy
Spoon into graham cracker pie shell, top with chopped chocolate and peanut butter chips, arrange peanut butter cup as desired.
Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week.

Milk, with only three ingredients, is the foundation for all the dairy foods I love and it was a must to create a playlist to celebrate my favorite beverage. Find my #UndeniablyDairy Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify.

#UndeniablyDairy Workout Playlist of the Week on Spotify and Apple Music


 Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now.

What I Love Right Now:  Jonny Pops

Speaking of dairy delicious, I was recently introduced to my new favorite frozen treats: JonnyPops. They are my what I love right now for a couple of amazing reasons. 
  • The company started off as a dorm room idea to using a family-sized blender in a theater basement. 
  • They are made with simple ingredients with the main ingredient being real cream.
  • They are local and produced in Minnesota.
  • They have a great story:  founded by 4 college students in 2011 and named after one of the original creators, Jonathan, who passed away from a struggle with addiction. The team now donates a portion of their proceeds to non-profits supporting addiction recovery. 
  • Each popsicle stick is printed with a good dead because they believe "sharing kindness through actions big and small, help us achieve our mission of making the world a better place, one pop at a time." Mine said:  Stand up for what you believe in! and I say #hellyeah!
  • There are 11 flavors that are less than 200 calories and strawberries and cream is my favorite, which is also made with the freshest of fruit. 
  • They are creating a Smart Snack for kids lunches that will be served to 10 million students this year as part of the school lunch program.
It is 95 degrees outside today, I just got done cutting the grass.  The Strawberries and Cream hit the spot and was out of this world. I cannot wait to try the Cold Press Coffee Chocolate. The perfect way enjoy a dairy delicious June. 



~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment