4.25.2018

Weekly Wisdom and Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.

Weekly Wisdom by Anne Elizabeth RD:  I wish all my favorite foods from a city were conveniently located at my gate in the airport.

When you travel, do you get the munchies? What are your favorite travel snacks?

When I was growing up, family vacations were something I was so excited for. Our family of four would load up our minivan and off we drove, all over the United States. My sister and I would sit in the back seat with our personal cassette players jamming our favorite tunes, while Dad and Mom navigated our adventures. One of my favorite parts of traveling, were the special snacks we took. They would pack a cooler full of fruit but we also had a bag full of snacks like Skittles and Twizzlers. Fortunately, the bag never left the front seat, or my sister and I would probably have the snack devoured within the first 60 miles. 

I still am a fan of traveling and snacks. There is something in my brain triggering my travel cravings the minute I am on the road. As an adult, my trips are a little shorter and I don't get to try all the things everywhere I go. I have this fantasy of all the restaurants/bakeries/coffee shops of each city I go to are located right next to my gate so I can experience it all. 

All of this is an important lesson. There are many things we experience triggering something centered around food. When we are aware of those experiences, we can be better prepared to be mindful and make the best choices. Travel happens to be one of mine. Instead of heading to the bar or grabbing a pizza in the airport (hello cankles!), I pack snacks I find just as exciting and much better for me. 

Annnddd... maybe a pack of Skittles. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast April Top 5 in 5

Each week, I put out my Weekly Wisdom Blog which includes my Top 5 Nutrition Noshes: Wisdom, Weekly Conversations, Week in Review, Workout Playlist of the Week and What I Love Right Now. At the end of each month, I want to get more up close and personal with you all on the other side of the airwaves. I will be recapping my crazy, delicious and random as hell adventures as well as having a conversation with you all on this side of the mic. It’s my Top 5 in 5. April has been all about Spring cleaning, my home and my life and inspiring while lifting up others. Enjoy!
Connect and let me know what you think by emailing me or connecting with me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter


Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

Wisconsin Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting Video Recap.

I had to share with you this fun video my production company made for me. While I was in Wisconsin for WAND 2018 Annual Meeting, I took some photos and videos and they created this fun video. Enjoy!

Weekend breakfast of champions, bananas, pancakes and eggs with Trader Joes Everything Bagel Seasoning.

It was nice to be home for a few days and regroup. Work was really crazy, so I was looking forward to a quite weekend to eat and get shit done!  I actually cooked a lot (well for me it is a lot) this weekend. I started off my Friday with pancakes. I kind of suck at making them. They are never perfectly round and I like a smaller cake. So I smothered some natural peanut butter, bananas, sprinkles and scrambled myself and egg, topped with Trader Joe's Everything Bagel Seasoning. If you haven't had this seasoning, you are really missing out. My cousin contacted me and was going to be in Des Moines this weekend for a baby shower, so we decided to hang out and try some new places in Waukee. 

Weekends are for tribe time! Lunch at Gastro Pub and Grub, Waukee, Iowa

We started out the morning watching a movie called The Big Sick. I had never heard of it and Christine said it was on Sunday Morning. It was really good and a must watch. I really loved it after I found out it was based on a true story. Those are the best. 

Waukee is booming with growth. So many new businesses popping up, including a theater, about 5 nail salons, places to eat, places to drink coffee, tons of strip malls and new homes too. Suburbia mania!  We decided to hop over to Gastro Pub and Grub for lunch. This is literally located within walking distance of my house. 

Mahi Tacos and side salad Gastro Pub and Grub, Waukee, Iowa

I love the story of Gastro Pub and Grub because it started out as a dream, a food truck and now a restaurant reality by two Iowans, Sean and Andrea Gleason. I don't know them personally, but there was a write up in a local magazine about their journey to the restaurant biz. Andrea is actually going through treatment for Melanoma, which is very near and dear to my heart. The food was yummy and they have a great menu with local foods, beers and craft cocktails. It was hard for me to choose but I ended up having the Mahi Mahi Tacos and a side salad. The fish was cooked perfectly and the mango salsa had great flavor. I also loved the ranch dressing, I know it sounds weird, but they put fresh dill in theirs and I love that. I will be going back to try the other items I was choosing from. 

The Coffeesmith, Waukee, Iowa

After a few here and there stops, we decided to also stop at a new local place called The Coffeesmith. This adorable little places is actually located right next to my gym, so I smell delicious coffee each morning while I'm lifting heavy shit. I haven't had a chance to get there until this weekend. It has a nice local feel with inspirational quotes on the walls, which I thought was fun. Christine had an iced latte with almond milk and a shot of hazelnut and I had a brewed coffee. It was the perfect afternoon treat. I was eyeing a large piece of chocolate cake in the case, but I passed. They have smoothies and breakfast sandwiches on the menu as well as a variety of coffee drinks and pastries. It will require a few more stops for me so I can try more things. I am happy to have these local places so close to home. 

I also loved hanging out with my cousin and just talking and catching up. We do not get time very often to do that, so it was the perfect way to end a week happy and rejuvenated. Heartbeats always do that for me. 

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist.

It was sad to hear Avicii passed away this week but it also reminded me how much I have enjoyed his music over the years. Talk about awesomely inspiring workout music!  I had to devote my playlist this week to him. Find the playlist of my favorites on Apple Music and Spotify

Avicii Workout Playlist of the Week by AnneElizabethRD on Apple Music and Spotify


Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

What I Love Right Now: Michigan Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

This week I am thrilled to be heading to the Michigan Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual meeting to speak to another group of my favorite people. I am looking forward to meeting new inspiring registered dietitians and to make connections. There is nothing like being in a room full of your kind of people. I look forward to sharing my Bay City, Michigan adventure with you in the following weeks. 

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment