5.02.2018

Weekly Wisdom and Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom. 

Weekly Wisdom by Anne Elizabeth RD: Sesame Street did prepare me for any of this. Thanks Big Bird

Are you the type of person who plans and prepares for everything?

Or are you kind of like me who is about 50% prepared and 50% half-assing it as I go?  I really wish I was better at preparing and planning for everything in my life. I know I could do a better job in my preparedness. I want my schedule to go a lot smoother and be less frustrating but I never learn. Then on the days I am really proud of myself for being very ready, it still ends up going astray.  

What I have learned in my 40+ years of life, shit doesn't go as planned. Emotionally, I do much better at winging things:  meals, money, workouts, relationships, and eyeliner. I don't beat myself up for things not going the way I planned them to be when I go with the flow. I still honor having expectations of myself and set realistic parameters, but I am not so rigid with my methods. 

No one prepares us for each day with a perfectly planned schedule, only we can do our best to choreography the best journey possible. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation.

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast featuring Carrie Moody, RDN

Today’s conversation is Carrie Moody, a Registered Dietitian who teaches people to meal prep in their homes, is a Barre3 Fitness Instruction and is often found dancing in the kitchen.

I am a fan of humor and Carrie was someone who made me laugh right from the start with her social media posts. I would see her beautiful meal prep photos, which drew me into watching more of her Instagram feed and getting myself a little more inspired to cook. Carrie has a realistic and humorous way of looking at life and food. She is a busy wife and mom of 4, but still finds a way to inspire others in the kitchen and with their physical fitness.  She owns her own private practice, develops recipes, does nutrition coaching, meal prep lessons and is a Barre3 Instructor.


Connect with Carrie by following her on Instagram and her website Fit Balance Nutrition.  

Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

Hy-Vee Mealtime Kit Beef Bulgogi

I got so inspired by Carrie, my podcast guest this week, I decided to devote my week to meal planning. I will be the first to admit I would rather grab a yogurt, mix it with cottage cheese, top it with berries and add baby carrots as a side before I would mess up my kitchen and cook a full meal for myself. I have realized my yogurt and cottage cheese really doesn't satisfy me because it really isn't a meal. I am easing into the meal prep thing and started with a new product at my place of employment:  Hy-Vee Mealtime Kits. 


Move over all other home delivery meal kits, I think I may have found my new favorite. I have tried a few meal kit services and I will have to say, Hy-Vee's has won my heart. Not only for the variety of meal options from my Beef Bulgogi Bowl choice to Tofu with Red Curry Sauce, there is something for everyone, even burgers, steaks and salmon. 

Why is Hy-Vee's Meal Kits at the top of my list?  Because everything is chopped and ready to go. I did not have to cut the red onion, which makes me very happy!  All the other kits I have tried had me chopping up all the veggies and that is not my jam. 


The kit has very detailed instructions and includes all the other "at home" items you may need to prepare the meal. The Dietitian approved Beef Bulgogi Bowl included a ton of fresh veggies, lean protein and whole grain brown rice. 


It took less than 30 minutes active time to prepare the meal (30 minutes for the rice was the longest thing to cook) and I had dinner and leftovers for the next day. The little Siracha packets and perfectly portion sesame seeds were a nice touch and really added a nice finishing layer to the dish. It heated up really well the next day and I enjoyed it just as much as I did that evening. Next up on my list is the Tofu with Red Curry Sauce for a Meatless Monday meal, I will make sure to share my review. 

Real Deal and Really Delicious Recipe:  Anne's Fancy Frittata

Along with the Hy-Vee Mealtime Kit, I made one other dish I could eat this week. It ended up being a clean out the fridge meal, but turned out amazing. I was inspired by my Instagram friends Andrew Doherty and Diane Norwood for their frittata inspiration. As an #EggEnthusiast with the Egg Nutrition Center, I am always looking for fun new ways to incorporate nutrient dense eggs into my healthy lifestyle. I literally opened my fridge and used up all the goodies I had. 

AE's Fancy FrittaTa ~ SERVES 6
INGREDIENTS
  • 8slices turkey bacon
  • 2cups thinly sliced golden potato
  • 2cups diced red onion
  • 1/2cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 2teaspoons dried rosemary
  • 1/2cup chopped green pepper
  • 1tablespoon olive oil
  • 6whole eggs
  • 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4ounces shredded asiago cheese
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8x8 inch dish with a little olive oil. Line the bottom of the dish with the slice potatoes. 
  2. Cook bacon until crisp. Let cool. Chop and set aside. In a 10-inch skillet, sauté potato in 1 tbsp oil 5 minutes over medium heat.
  3.  In a 10-inch skillet, stir in onion and bell peppers and sauté for 5 minutes, remove from heat, cool and place on top of the potatoes. 
  4. Place chopped turkey bacon on top of the vegetables.
  5. In a bowl, beat eggs, rosemary and asiago cheese. Pour on top of the bacon. 
  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes clean in the center. 

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist. 

Every good meal prep day deserves it's own playlist. This one helped me move and grove in the kitchen to make all these good eats. Find it on Apple Music and Spotify

Workout Playlist:  "Prep It" on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

What I Love Right Now:  La Croix Key Lime

It has been almost 4 years since I kicked my crazy soda habit. I finish each day with "my beer" which is a sparkling water. There are so many wonderful brands and flavors to choose from, it is easy to mix it up. This week I discovered the newest flavor by La Croix which tickled me senseless. I love Key Lime, I mean love it. I mentally knew it wasn't pie or cheesecake, so I went in with an open mind. It is fantastic!  I am ecstatic to add this to my pantry staples and to crack one open on my next meal prepping adventure!

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!



No comments:

Post a Comment