11.01.2017

Weekly Wisdom and Top 5 I Love Fall Nutrition Noshes

Nutrition Nosh One. Wisdom.

Oh My Gourd, I Love Fall Quote by Anne Elizabeth RD

I love Fall. Everything about it. The cooler temperatures and the brisk rejuvenating air. The smell of crisp foliage from the 12 trees I have in my yard, full of color as the leaves fall upon the ground. The cozy extra blanket I had to put on my bed and the twinkle of the fireplace as I cozy up in my chair at night after work. I love how the earth needs a little break to relax and recharge itself to prepare for another season of growth and thriving. 

It is exactly how we go through our own personal season of Fall. We slow down a bit, wind down sooner as the sunlight dips into the horizon earlier in the day. We decrease our need for the hustle and bustle of getting things done. We pause more, we snuggle more, we cook comfort food, we are cognizant of the time left in this year and we prepare for all the new things that are to come. 

Fall is never long enough but it is just the right amount of time for us to gracefully and gratefully be more present of where time has gone and where time is going dressed up in a warm sweater, a pair of boots, a soft hat and gloves, a cup of something hot and surrounded by the people who will keep you warm all winter. 

Nutrition Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast on iTunes featuring Jill Castle MS, RD, LDN

My conversation today is with America’s Childhood Nutrition Expert and Registered Dietitian, 
Jill Castle

A few weeks ago, I had the privilege to listen to Jill provide a presentation to the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Since I currently do not practice in child nutrition, I was interested in learning about how this area of practice has changed.  So much of our thoughts, beliefs and practices around food start as a child and childhood nutrition is more important than ever. With the many different challenges of feeding children, Jill provides a multitude of resources for professional and families. She has always had a passion for pediatric nutrition and has published book on the topic as well as started her own podcast over the past year. 


Connect with Jill on her website: https://jillcastle.com

Nutrition Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

Is there anything better than a caramel apple with crushed Heath bars?  No, no and no. 

National Caramel Apple Day

I am a creature of habit and I enjoy foods that fit each season. It is a guarantee I will be consuming citrus fruits in the Winter, asparagus in the Spring, cherries in the Summer and apples in the Fall. Plain apples AND caramel apples. In the Fall, my Mom would make a lot of baked apples as dessert and we loved them. I have already found myself making them a couple times this fall. The other way I love my apples is a caramel apple dipped in crushed Heath bars. I have one every year and this year was a very special apple. A few weeks ago, on a Sunday, my door bell rang. As I headed over to the front door to see who it was, there was no person but there was a pretty red plate with my favorite Fall food. It was a surprise and it was so kind. It was also the BEST caramel apple I have ever had. Seriously. Thank you Wertzberger's for the sweetest gift of the Fall. 

Apples and Ingredients for Chili

To celebrate my favorite Fall food even more, I got to make apple chili with Chef Andrew (please see below for Nosh Five for the video). 

Caramel Apple Nachos

And how about apple nachos?  2nd best sweet treat next to a caramel apple. All you do is choose your favorite apple, slice and add the toppings you like. Caramel, melted dark chocolate, melted white chocolate, Health bars or crumbled Snickers and caramel popcorn are all the ones topping my list. This is a great idea for a party when you are required to share your caramel apple. 

Boo Banana Treats

Chef Andrew also had this great idea for a Halloween treat this year. I know, I know, lame dietitian treat...but how cute are these Boo Bananas. All you need is gauze and some googly eyes from the craft store and you can dress up your little mummy banana. Keep it in mind for next year and maybe toss in your favorite candy bar, ya know, just for balance. 

Butternut Squash Pasta with Toasted Walnuts and Ricotta Cheese

My other Fall food celebration was another favorite dish, Butternut Squash Ravioli. I purchased the Gustare Vita fresh pasta from Hy-Vee which is found in the refrigerator section. There are many different brands that have a Butternut Squash pasta, so just find your favorite and cook it according to the package directions. I do recommend adding a little olive oil to the pasta water to prevent the pasta from sticking when you drain it. Then, I whipped up an easy and healthier Alfredo sauce. I melted about a tablespoon of butter in a pan, added about a tablespoon of flour (all I had was almond flour and it worked great) and whisked it together until it was lightly brown. I then stirred in about 1 cup of milk until it started to thicken. To that I added half of a block of light cream cheese, chopped into small squares, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper, whisking constantly to melt the cream cheese and incorporate the seasoning. Once it starts to bubble a bit, it should be nice and creamy and ready to drizzle on your pasta. This will serve about 3-4 people. A little bit of the sauce goes a long way! For a fun added touch, roast raw walnuts and sprinkle on top for a Fall inspired crunch. 

Perfect Travel Snacks Apple and Nicks Sticks

As last week ended, I was on a flight home from Chicago and the annual Food and Nutrition Expo or FNCE put on by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. It was the 100th year celebration and I had a great experience. I look forward to sharing more of it with you soon but I did feel the need to take a break from the AMAZING food in Chicago for some fruit and protein courtesy of Nicks Sticks

Nutrition Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

This week is all about fall, fallen, falling and any catchy muscle-making song I thought I could bust out a few more reps to. Here is 30 minutes devoted to my love for fall on Spotify and Apple Music

Oh My Gourd, I Love Fall Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify

Nutrition Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Over the past year, I have absolutely loved doing these cooking segments with Chef Andrew. I was honored to do the last one of his career with Hy-Vee with a delicious recipe for fall, Apple Chili. Chef Andrew was on a journey in fulfilling his purpose and is pursuing his passion on a new professional adventure. I wish him nothing but the best and look forward to another podcast with him in 2018 for an update on this endeavor while cooking together in my kitchen. 


~AE







No comments:

Post a Comment