11.08.2017

Weekly Wisdom and Top 5 FNCE in Chicago Nutrition Noshes

Nutrition Nosh One. Wisdom.

"Be Scared and Do It Anyway" Inspirational Weekly Wisdom by Anne Elizabeth.

I cannot tell how many times I have heard or read a quote similar to this. It didn't resonate with me until this year when my friend Jen wrote about this in a weekly newsletter she sends out. A whole year after I wrote a book and went to the largest dietitian conference in the United States to debut it. I returned to this same conference in October, I realized I did it all scared. Yesterday, I had this revelation, gave myself a high five because I am so damn proud of myself for doing it regardless of how crazy insane scared I was. 

And I was VERY scared. 

I'm still scared but I am confidently scared. The scare is what fuels the fire in the depths of my soul to prove to myself, not anyone else, I can do anything I put my mind to even if I could easily do nothing  at all. Each time I do the things that scare me or makes me want to hold back, I stand a little taller and my eyes get a little brighter. I have conquered the worst thing I ever face and that is my own consuming fear. My own twisted and delusional scenarios I make up in my head of all the things that could go wrong or the fear of "what will other people think." 
I will always going to choose to do it anyway.


Nutrition Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast with Dr. Felicia Stoler

My conversation today is with America's Health & Wellness Expert, Felicia Stoler.

At the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting’s expo, there was this eye catching booth with tons of pink with a vibrant and interactive woman manning the booth. This is where I met Felicia Stoler, a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Exercise Physiologist, Author and Journalist, as well as co-creator of Regular Girl, prebiotc fiber and probiotics for women, which is what brought her to Iowa. As I talked with her more, I quickly realized I needed to do a podcast with her and learn more about her journey, not only with her extensive education background but with the expertise as an on-air talent, as well as other forms of media. I learned a lot during our conversation and I hope you do too. 

Please enjoy my conversation with Felicia. 

Connect with Felicia on her website: http://www.feliciastoler.com/

Nutrition Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

Downtown Chicago

Speaking of a particular dietitian conference, The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is celebrating 100th Year Anniversary and the annual Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo (FNCE) took place in the Academy's hometown Chicago. This year I was excited to be confidently scared and attend the conference to make connections and to meet as many Registered Dietitians as possible. Chicago was sunny and beautiful upon arrival. 

Deep Dish Pizza and Beer at Giordanos in Chicago

I went for a stroll around downtown, past Navy Pier and of course down Michigan Ave. From the minute I stepped foot the on the plane, I had already decided I was getting deep dish pizza. I mean why not start the trip to a dietitian conference off with loads of cheese and pepperoni from Giordianos?  Oh and a frosty beer too. I spent the rest of the day, soaking in the hustle and bustle of the city and also reminded myself how much I enjoy the vibe of city life. 

B&W Gym Chicago

I was excited to meet up with a few friends who live in the area and it was must for one of our meet ups to be some gym time (especially after the za!) It was scary and fun to have my first real deal gym experience. B&W Gym is the coolest basement I have ever been in. I was completely intimidated of the gym because I felt like Arnold circa 1977 was going to pop out at any moment. My tris, quads and hands felt it that day and I did it scared, yes!

I'm a Registered Dietitian...Now What? By Anne Elizabeth Cundiff, RD, LD, FAND

One of my evenings I spent with my some of my favorite new friends, the Nutrition Entrepreneurs (NE) Dietetics Practice Group for their networking event:  Windy City Mastermind Social. This is the second time I have attended this event and I decided to spotlight my book and my podcast so I could meet new dietitians and potential podcast guests. 

NEDPG Spotlight Table at FNCE

And did I meet some great people!  I am working on getting organized to get back in touch with all of them and start working on my 2018 podcast schedule. It is going to be such an exciting year to feature dietitians from all different areas of practice and expertise. I always want to know who I should meet, so please send me any introductions!

Downtown Chicago

That evening it was time to cocktail and continue the adventure in Chicago. I enjoyed some amazing views of the city from Rebar, a delicious "Berry Irresponsible" cocktail and the tastiest siracha almonds and cracked pepper popcorn. 

Downtown Chicago Billy Goat Tavern

A few cocktails later, we wandered to the legendary and The Original Billy Goat Tavern underneath Michigan Ave. It was great!  Seriously. I got the Cheezborger "Original" with some BBQ chips and a Schlitz. The borger was yum, perfectly toasted bun, melted cheese and I could put as many kosher dill pickle slices on it as I wanted, as well as chopped onions. I know they were for the hot dog on the menu but I cannot pass by chopped onions. The atmosphere was pure nostalgia, which I am pretty sure made the borger taste even better. If you have never gone, it is a must!  I think next time I am going to go all out and get the triple. Why not?

FNCE 2017 Chicago with Jen Haugen and Lynn Dugan

During the conference I got the opportunity to see all the sights of the conference with these lovelies! Jen and Lynn are two of the greatest people I have gotten to meet during my dietitian journey. We shared quite a few laughs while we hit the expo floor. Quite a few might be an understatement, as represented in the photo below. 

FNCE 2017 Chicago with Jen Haugen, Lynn Dugan and Regular Girl Fiber

How can you not laugh hysterically at this photo?  I also got to see Felicia (my amazing podcast guest this week) who is a co-founder of Regular Girl fiber. We learned more about the product and how unique it is. Sun Fiber is a soluble fiber and prebiotic which is complimented by 8 billion probiotics to help you have a healthy gut. I kind of like being No. 1. 

FNCE 2017 Chicago with Jen Haugen, Lynn Dugan, Ocean Spray Cranberries

This was the big hit at the conference, an actual cranberry bog courtesy of Ocean Spray. My favorite part was meeting an actual cranberry farmer, Steven, from Wisconsin and hear how cranberries are grown, farmed and harvested. These are the stories I long to hear as a dietitian. I think it is very important to know the farmers growing and caring for our food supply. After meeting Steven, I am excited to really give fresh cranberries a glowing chance in my kitchen this fall. 

Nutrition Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

I had a blast putting together this workout playlist for my adventures in Chicago. 
A trip by Tiffany's was must and I had to include Frank. Find your weekly workout music motivation on Apple Music and Spotify

Chicago Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify

Nutrition Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Core Power Protein Drinks by Fairlife

Ok, so the expo at FNCE is bat shit crazy. There I said it. People are everywhere, food is everywhere and over stimulation is everywhere. I tend not to spend a ton of time on the expo floor because I get worn out and claustrophobic. No kidding. And seriously, a person can only eat so much "dietitian" food before you crave the slice of room temperature leftover pizza sitting in your hotel room. There was one product that really caught my eye and my taste buds. I am always looking for a convenient way to boost my protein without having a bunch of randomness on the nutrition label. Core Power by Fairlife has a new and improved line of protein powered by milk ready-to-drink shakes. My favorite was the Elite Vanilla, described to me as "tastes like melted vanilla ice cream" and it completely does. I am a D-lister meal prepare and sometimes a girl just needs something quick to eat. This fits the bill. And my Regular Girl fiber blends perfectly in it. What did you try on the expo floor that you loved?  Share with me!

~AE









No comments:

Post a Comment