10.25.2017

Weekly Wisdom and Top 5 Health and Wealth Nutrition Noshes

Nutrition Nosh One. Wisdom.

Financial health is an important part to overall wellness - Heather Steele, RD, LD Inspirational Quote

When you think about a healthy life, what is the first thing that comes to mind?  

Of course these two come to mind:  Nutrition and Exercise. Health and wellness is much more all encompassing than just nutrition and exercise. Stress is one of the biggest factors determining our ability to have healthy life. Through the hustle and bustle of life, stress affects our eating habits, our physical activity habits, our sleeping habits and our spending habits. 

What is one of our biggest stressors?  Money. 

What probably does not come when thinking of your overall health and wellness to mind is your finances.  The future is happening right now when it comes to finances and many of us forget about how important it is to find a healthy balance with money and planning for years to come. We plan our meals for the week, we plan our workouts for the week, we plan our bedtimes and set our alarms for the week. Are we planning our finances for the week, the month or the year to come? 

Nutrition Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast with Travis Gaule, Financial Advisor

My conversation today is with Travis Gaule, Financial Advisor

As we enter into the world of practicing as a registered dietitian, I think we tend to focus a lot on the excitement of being an RD and not all the other important and financial details. For those of you starting your first job, for those of you changing jobs and for those of you who might be taking the leap into being an entrepreneur, finding a smart financial partner is so important. I have been in a 3 scenarios and I thought it was very necessary for me to seek out a financial advisor I trusted to help me along the journey. If you have been in any of these situations or have been contemplating planning for retirement ever in your life, this is a must listen podcast. I think you will really resonate with his comparison of our two professions and how similar they are.


Connect with Travis: travis.gaule@edwardjones.com

Nutrition Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

This past week was full of #lessstuffmore life. As I write this post, it brings me joy to know I do not have to make an effort for more life to happen because IT IS happening naturally. 

Girlfriends

I had a fun middle of the week adventure with my friend Amanda. Amanda is getting married early 2018, so is very busy making all the plans and doing all the things to get ready. We had scheduled a nice intermission to all the planning by a girls night out. 

Iowa Taproom

We headed downtown to The Iowa Taproom which is where Amanda and Andy are having their reception for their wedding. I got a sneak peak of the reception space and it is beautiful. It is also a place in Des Moines I have not been, so it was a great opportunity for me to explore more of the awesomeness of the city I live in. This place is full of character, great food and do not forget over 120 beers on tap. 

Iowa Taproom with Crimson Sunset Cidery Blueberry Cider

With Fall in the air, they had a great variety of fall beers on the menu. I have been in a cider kind of mood since my fall travel adventures to Michigan. It was hard to resist the Crimson Sunset Jacked Cider House: Blueberry. Crimson Sunset Winery and Cidery is located in Cascade, Iowa and has now turned into my local cider favorite. Next time I come here, I will have to try the other 2 versions of  Crimson Sunset's Jacked Cider, Pineapple and Strawberry. 

Eli Young Band Nightfall on the River Des Moines Iowa

After lovely conversation, dinner and drinks, we walked over to Brenton Skating Plaza for Nightfall on the River: Eli Young Band. Des Moines downtown is easily accessible by foot, so we had an easy walk from dinner to the concert. Nightfall on the River is a warmer month concert series Des Moines has in two different locations, Brenton Skating Plaza and Simon Estes Park. We were outside, under the stars and along the Des Moines River for a great nigh of music. Amanda and I saw EYB about 4 years ago when then opened up for Kenny Chesney and I have been a fan every since. This was my second time and I think Amanda's 5th time seeing them. It was a great concert because it was with great company. 

Friends

We couldn't quite let the night end, so we stopped at a local watering hole in our neighborhood and ran into a dear friend, Keith. Amanda and I rarely have a night on the town, but when we do, we randomly and almost ALWAYS run into Keith. This time was no different. We may live in the same city and only see each other once or twice a year, but it is always a grand reunion. 

Caribou Coffee Fleur Drive Hy-Vee Hot Cinnamon Spice

One of my sweet joys this week was calling upon a colleague to help me with my Diabetes Prevention Class I have each Tuesday. I was talking with my students about tasty and very low calorie beverages and had to tell them about my favorite tea, Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea from Caribou Coffee. The Hy-Vee store I work at, has a Caribou Coffee inside(lucky me!) and the manager Bonnie, is the best!  I was telling her about my class and she donated a cup of teach for each student. 

Caribou Coffee Fleur Drive Hy-Vee Hot Cinnamon Spice

The sweetest surprise was the special cup designated for the "Teacher." It is these small and wonderful gestures of kindness that mean so much to me and fills me up with health and wealth. 

Nutrition Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

This was a fun playlist to put together this week!  It is random, fun and motivating to move your body and to maybe continue your thoughts on your overall health and wellness. Find the playlist on 

Health and Wellness Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify by Anne Elizabeth

Nutrition Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

A few weeks ago, I got a lovely package of pastas from a newer company, Banza. Banza takes a different twist on pasta with it being made from chickpeas which doubles the protein content, increases the fiber content and decreases the carbohydrate content, making it a nutrient-packed pasta. I am pretty picky about my pasta, I really like the real deal, so I was curious to give it a try. Banza also had an Instagram promotion, #BanzaPlus5 recipe challenge, so it was easy to whip up a delicious dish for dinner. 

Banza Pasta Recipe Creation #BanzaPlus5

I am a pretty simple pasta gal. I am not a fan of drippy sauces, a lot of ingredients or anything fussy or complicated. I loved this promotion because it captures my "Real Deal" and "Really Delicious" Recipe creations. This challenge was simply to create a pasta dish with 5 ingredients or less. Hell yeah! I ventured into my pantry and grabbed my raw walnuts, olive oil, crushed red pepper and black pepper and then wandered to my refrigerator and retrieved the Parmesan cheese. 

Banza Pasta Recipe Creation

10 minutes later, this dish was born to life. I prepared the pasta as directed on the package and toasted a couple of handfuls of walnuts. After the pasta was cooked and drained, I drizzled extra virgin olive oil, dropped in my toasted walnuts, cracked my black pepper and sprinkled on my crushed red pepper to tickle my taste buds. That is how my Sunday Funday pasta was created. Not a ton of dirty dishes, not a ton of crazy steps but there was a ton of delicious flavor and perfect pasta texture. I am a fan of this healthful pasta and cannot wait to create another #BanzaPlus5 recipe. 

~AE





1 comment:

  1. I am Shelley from Los Angeles,California, I want to testify on how i got cured from cervical dystonia, I have suffered from cervical dystonia since the year 2011 with so mush pain,that i have to spend so mush money getting pain relief in the hospital, and I have visited several doctor ,but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end because of the constant muscle contractions and pain , until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal Dr Williams who use herbal portion in curing people from different kind of diseases including dystonia, at first i doubted if it we be able to cure me, but i decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he prepared a herbal portion and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was completely free from dystonia just for 1 months of usage,i we recommend this to all my friend family in the world today who still suffering from dystonia you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.

    ReplyDelete