9.06.2017

Weekly Wisdom and Birthdays, Baptism and Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nutrition Nosh One. Wisdom.

Funny quote about birthdays

Age is just a number right?  There is not a number on this earth defining you. You truly are as old (or as young) as you want to be. This is why it is so important to take care of yourself, all of yourself. Taking care of yourself includes good nutrition, physical activity, sleep, less stress, less television time, less worry and more experiences. We will always have demands on ourselves, both personal and from others in your life. Neither one are you going to eliminate, but you can control all of how it affects you. I think we get a little sentimental and self reflective on our days of birth. It reminds us another year has flown by and makes us question what really happened over the past year. 

Do not let another year pass you by. 

Make this year your best year yet by giving yourself the right amount of self care you need. You owe it to yourself and your tribe. I want the best version of you on this earth and I hope you do too. Start right now, not wasting one more second. What do you need from this day to keep you whole, happy and positive?  How are you going to make it happen?  

Hell yeah!

Nutrition Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast

My conversation today is with Registered Dietitian, Lyndi Buckingham Schutt

I had a great conversation with Lyndi who is not only a Registered Dietitian, but she is a PhD candidate and graduate research assistant. She is currently working diligently on finalizing her thesis. Lyndi has volunteered her time with the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics as Public Policy and State Policy Representative and has found a passion for policy. She will be working in public policy after she defends her thesis. Lyndi has a unique journey so far and I learned a lot from her story and experiences.


Connect with Lyndi: buckingh@gmail.com

Nutrition Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

Baptism

It has been an event-filled end to the month of August.  I had the joy of adding a godchild to my family this past month, Miss Finley Ann Wertzberger along with my fellow "Fairy Godmother" Laura.  Finley looked beautiful in her family heirloom dress on her special day. The first granddaughter and all the granddaughters in the Bisgaard family have worn this dress which I think is so special!

Fairy Godmothers Anne Elizabeth

Godchildren are very special to me because I am not sure I will have any children of my own. I know Laura and I are looking forward to watching Finley grow into a young lady and to guide her along the way....or to give her candy and other assorted ways to spoil her and just be an open door whenever she needs her own time. We got you Finley!

Birthday donuts from Hy-Vee

A few days later, I road-tripped west with a bag full of donuts and an abundance of shopping energy to celebrate my beautiful momma's birthday. My mom LOVES donuts and ironically, Hy-Vee has come out with a new line of freshly fried donuts this past month. It was hard to choose the right ones for her donut "cake." 

Hy-Vee Fresh Fried Donuts

I ended up choosing a traditional glazed which is her favorite, a chocolate glazed with peanuts and then my favorite the Blueberry Streusel topped with a green candle symbolizing the August gemstone, peridot. If you haven't had the new donuts yet, get one now! I will be partial and say Deb at the Fleur Drive Hy-Vee makes the best ones. And seriously the Blueberry Streusel.....OMG!

Lil Burro Restaurant Bellevue, NE

Mom and I took off to spend the day in Omaha to do a little shopping and lunch at the Lil Burro in Bellevue, Nebraska. This is one of our family favorites because it is located close to Offutt Air Force Base. I seriously was so excited to eat here, I totally forgot to take a picture of my delicious food, one spicy poblano and birthday sopapillas for mom. Guess it means I have to go back again, soon.

Birthday Boy

I headed back east to end the week with a surprise birthday party for my friend Justin!  Surprise parties are always tricky and Jason pulled it off like no other. Justin was so surprised! Jason arranged all of Justin's family and friends to celebrate his birthday on the fabulous patio at Gilroy's, where we enjoyed great conversation, cocktails and cake of course!

Birthday Party Friends

Mom even made the trip down for the party!  

Birthday Friends

And of course we had to get a photo of the birthday kids!  You know how much I love to celebrate birthdays, best holidays ever!

I'm A Registered Dietitian...Now What? Book by Anne Elizabeth

And to end the week, I always am so full of joy when I see members of my tribe reading and enjoying my book. Amy Lee Hanneke, RDN (follow her @satisfy.nutrition on IG) is recently a newlywed who traveled across the country to relocate with her new hubby and needed some reading material. And these polka dots...it's like she knows me!

Nutrition Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

Nothing like a little Birthday and Baptism Workout Playlist of the Week. I think it has a nice ring to it!  I combined a few songs that remind me of my Mom and a few of Justin's favorite songs right now. Top it off with a little Madonna...and I think we have a workout winner!  

Apple Music Workout Playlist of the Week by Anne Elizabeth

This week I am adding a little challenge to my workout rotations that I wanted to share with you. Hot and Healthy Life, aka Heather (make sure to follow her on IG), is doing a 10 day challenge of 10 minute workouts. That's right 10 minutes. I can do that!  Can you?  It is called Metcon for Moms (all kinds of Moms, including fur baby moms like me). Go here to register and get in on the action. She includes all the workouts you can choose from including videos to show you exactly how to do it with modifications. I will be posting my attempts of completion on my IG story. Oh yeah, feel the burn...

Hot and Healthy Life #Metcon for Moms Workout Challenge



Nutrition Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

One word: Zoodles. I am zoodling zucchini like it is my job (remember the picture from last week of the monster zucchini?) I am all for boosting my veggie intake whenever possible because it is for sure something I struggle with getting enough in on some days. I think that is true for a lot of us. I am bringing you my latest Real Deal and Really Delicious (RD) recipe...... Zoodles and Meatballs. 

Aidells Chicken Meatballs

You can be a dare devil and make your own Meatballs, but I like to keep things quick like a cat and purchase pre-made meatballs like these snazzy Italian Style with Mozzarella Cheese Chicken Meatballs from Aidell. All you do is brown them to your liking in a nice popping hot pan. This will only take about 5-6 minutes and remember to rotate them to get them brown on all sides.  Turn the heat down to warm until your ready to serve the zoodle mania. 

Zucchini Zoodles

In another pan, I take my frozen zucchini noodles (I zoodle 1 medium size zucchini and freeze into a bag for easy meals like this), sprinkle a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and cook for about 10-12 minutes on medium/high heat or until much of the excess water has cooked off. I then add whatever floats my boat that night in my noodles. Tonight, it was black olives, onions and mushrooms with a couple spoonfuls of pre-made pesto and about 1/2 jar of pasta sauce. Cook on medium heat for an additional 7-ish minutes while I make the coolest part of the meal. 

Homemade parmesan crisps

Parmesan crisps!  Yes, yes and yes!  Who needs garlic bread when you can have these crunchy, cheesy treats. Bring home your favorite parm, just make sure it is shredded if its in a bag or a shake bottle. Get a sheet pan and line it with parchment paper while heating up your oven to broil. Make piles of cheese (about 2 large spoonfuls for each pile). I make about 3 for each person I am sharing this kick ass meal with. Put them in the oven, watch them melt and get brown on the edges. Once they have browned pull them out and let them sit for about 5 minutes before taking them off the pan. I like to set them on a paper towel to pull a little moisture and fat off the bottom and crispy them up a little more. 

Zucchini Zoodle Pasta with Chicken Meatballs and Parm Crisps by Anne Elizabeth

Place your zoodle mixture on a plate, top it with 3-4 meatballs and 3 parm crisps and dig in!
Real Deal and Really delicious and full of nutrition. 

Don't worry, I have been eating zoodles every week, so there will be more RD Recipes heading your way!

~AE





No comments:

Post a Comment