9.13.2017

Weekly Wisdom and Back-To-School Inspired Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nutrition Nosh One. Wisdom.

Back to School, Summer is Over Quote

Ahh, the nostalgia of back-to-school. Many of you are in the midst of trying to figure out the "new" normal of schedules, sleeping, lunches and dinner as a family. The days are getting shorter but the 
to-do list is getting longer.  After the first few weeks, the excitement starts to wear off a little and panic sets in. How are you going to get all the things done in a 24 hour period and still sleep?  20 years ago, I was in my senior year of college and I am not quite sure how I didn't lose my shit. There were weeks I didn't know what day it was or where I had to be at 2 pm on a Tuesday. And even though I wouldn't trade my college experience for the world, I am pretty sure I never want to do it again. I did what I had to do, got through it and can look back and be grateful it all happened. 

When you find yourself waking up, one eye open and asking yourself what day it is, wondering if you packed the right lunch for your loved ones, wondering if you have time to get a couple loads of laundry done before work, wondering if you are going to make the 3 pm meeting, wondering if you can get in and out of the grocery store quickly before heading home to make food before you have to race to your fitness class or your kiddos tennis lessons...stop for a second. The day is going to happen no matter what scenario runs through your mind or what happens or doesn't. 

The best part of the day has already happened, be grateful you woke up and now you get to live it


Nutrition Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast on iTunes

Today we are doing something a little different. Since I love talking with my favorite people, I am going to check in with some of my previous podcast guests from time to time. Wayyy back in October of 2016, I started this little labor of love and graciously had on my first guest, Jena Hunt. As we are approaching the ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY I wanted to catch up with Jena, my first guest  aired as Episode 1.  If you listened to Episode 1,  you remember Jena was expecting her first child at that time and starting a diabetes program. I thought it would be fun to see how things are going in her exciting world. 



Nutrition Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

As I am trucking along my #lessstuffmorelife year, I have been finding things I did not even remember having. It is all kinds of fun finding treasures but then it is quickly followed up with 'why in the hell did I keep that?"  This scenario happened this past week when I stumbled upon this yellow bad-boy and in turn, inspired my blog this week. 

Theta Phi Alpha Creighton University

 I think back 1997. It was crazy busy and crazy fun. I was excited about finding my passion of dietetics and I was headed toward a career but I was also excited about the last year of having A LOT of fun. My sorority was a lot of fun. So much fun, I won't even bore you with the details. 

Theta Phi Alpha Creighton University

Back to this yellow bad-boy. Besides all the fun, this yellow binder was one of the greatest things my sorority taught me. During our pledge period, we were expected to get a "page" for each active member of the sorority. This "page" was an opportunity to have a conversation with someone you have never met and get to know them one-on-one. At the time, it was exhausting but now I realize it was priceless. These conversations truly mattered and it were an opportunity to connect with something you never in your wildest dreams thought you would. This was my "big sister" and one of my bestest friends page...on a napkin... from one of our favorite college hangouts. The conversation, the words, the memories: priceless. 

Nutritional Sciences Iowa State University

Recently, I also had the opportunity to head to a couple of local universities and do a little podcasting. I did my internship with Iowa State but was only on campus for 2 weeks total, so I did not get the while ISU experience. I do enjoy having friends in these places so I can visit and relieve some back-to-school moments. 

Bluebird Cafe University of Iowa

When I was considering colleges as a high school senior, the University of Iowa was on my radar but I was pretty set on Creighton. I remember my guidance counselor asking me why I would apply to Iowa because he knew I already had my eye on the prize. When I was podcasting there, I walked around campus and made sure I made a pit-stop at a favorite eatery, the Bluebird Diner. My homemade an locally sourced burger was soooo good. 

Jen Haugen, RDN, LD

When I think of BTS, I think of all the busy families out there trying to get used to new schedules of parents and kids going a million different directions. September is rightfully deemed Family Meals Month because it is one important part of being a family that suffers this time of year. 
The data on why family meals matter is positively overwhelming.  Numerous studies show significant, measurable scientific proof about the positive, lifelong benefits of family meals. Family meals nourish the spirit, brain and health of all family members. 

Here are some stats according to the Family Meals Month website:
  • Children who grow up sharing family meals are more likely to exhibit prosocial behavior as adults, such as sharing, fairness and respect. 
  • With each additional family meal shared each week, adolescents are less likely to show symptoms of violence, depression and suicide, less likely to use or abuse drugs or run away, and less likely to engage in risky behavior or delinquent acts.
  • Kids and teens who share meals with their family three or more times per week are significantly less likely to be overweight, more likely to eat healthy foods and less likely to have eating disorders.

Which I why I want to share with you my friend, Jen Haugen. Jen is a registered dietitian and is also a realistic mom, trying to balance it all.

Her philosophy perfectly pairs with the themes of Family Meals Month.

  • Health starts in the kitchen with what you shop for, prepare, and eat.
  • Meal panning is essential to a more organized, more balanced, and healthier, happier life.

She focuses on making sure there is a balance with life and family time, all around the kitchen table. She also is the best resource to make it easy and less stressful on busy moms, dads and college students. And she can do it all virtually with you!


Jen Haugen RDN, LD Blog and Meal Planning for Back to School

If you go to this section of her blog, you can find articles like these with great recipes for the perfect and easy back-to-school meals. I get a lot of my weekday meal planning inspiration from Jen. Her recent post:  Back-to-School One Pot Meal Ideas has plentiful and helpful amounts of information regarding how to cook and what to cook it in (she also is a Pampered Chef Independent Kitchen Consultant). In this post, she has a link to her Teriyaki Stir Fry which is something you should make tonight. Jen is the EXPERT in the kitchen and I hope she can help you too!

Cherry Earrings and Necklace

My week ended with some sweet and simple joys. There are just people who come into your life for a reason. There is no explanation why you cross paths and you are forever are etched in the journey of each others lives. I received this darling reminder of how special something like this is and will be forever. Another way a conversation created a lasting connection. 

Vase full of fresh kale

I rounded out my 30-day whirlwind of birthdays with a little belated wishes for my boo Stacey. Stacey loves kale more than anyone I know. I am also pretty sure she eats it once (or twice) a day and it is an ingredient in at least 87% of the recipes she creates. Sometimes after a long week of being superwoman, a girl just needs a bouquet of #kaleyeah (and polka dots). 


Nutrition Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

Hold onto your dumbbells,  I am taking my workout music motivation back to 1997, aka my Senior Year at Creighton University with some oldies but goodies. Make sure to keep listening till the end for one of my all-time favorite songs (and great cool-down song). 

Anne Elizabeth Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music

Nutrition Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Since I went to college so long ago, my bathroom was shared with 20 other girls (and on occasion a few boys...I did live on a co-ed floor). Shower shoes and shower caddies were a must for the long trek down the hall with all your stuff. As I was looking in my own bathroom I get all to myself, there were some things reminding me of my college communal days and what were my shower essentials. 

Dove Soap, Schick Razors and Tru Beauty Shower cap college essentials

Yes, I still wear a shower cap. I mean, I have to protect my dry shampooed hair I just did yesterday from the random shower spray. My shower cap is a little more stylish these days thanks to my styling new cherries bestowed on me from a friend. I also may have gone through a billion razors back in the day and I am so grateful razor technology has come a long way. If you haven't tried these awesome razors by Schick, you need to now!  My friend Amanda recommended these to me a few weeks ago and they have changed my life! Shaving and regular shampooing are now on the same schedule and that means I get to add time back into my life. And finally, I have to share with you my steadfast shower essential that hasn't changed since 1997:  Dove Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar.  Since I am a little skin care obsessed, I am very particular with what I use on my skin. My Derm recommended this to me back in the 90s and it is holding true for me today. My mom even just stocked me up with a bunch for the winter. I guess those back-to-school memories and moments never quite go away. 


~AE






No comments:

Post a Comment