2.22.2017

Wisdom Wednesday




Price is not always about money and can be any kind of currency. Over the past year, I have truly realized that time is my biggest currency. In the past, I have spent my most valuable asset invested in worry, doing things I do not want to do, not nourishing my body properly with food and physical activity, taking on other people's problems, buying things excessively for no reason and being with people who did not value me like I did them. In reflection, life was just passing me by. Since then, I have realized why I need to live a life with intention and awareness. I have less worry, I am doing things I want to do, I am eating well and exercising, I am being present with people who matter, and I am finding I have more time than ever to do anything I want. 

What price are you willing to pay for a fulfilling life full of joy?  

Weekly Conversation


My conversation today is with Kathryn Thompson, RDN, LD

Kathryn is someone I have had the joy of collaborating with on different projects involving school nutrition and health. I remember the first day I met Kathryn and her smile and energy were absolutely contagious. As I have gotten to know her over the years, we developed a great friendship and I learned more about her journey to being a registered dietitian nutritionist. She has had an eating disorder and opens up about she realized she needed treatment. Her biggest influence in her decision to become a dietitian, was discovered during her personal recovery.  


Week in Review
Last week was Random Act of Kindness Week and I had the absolute joy to share kindness with my favorite co-workers and kindergartners at Wright Elementary School in Des Moines. We partnered with KIND Snacks and provided a healthy lunch to 38 kids and their amazing teachers Miss Schryver and Mrs. Jennings.


The kids had been learning about being kind to others all year around. KIND Snacks also share in this year long movement of being kind to others. I had to share this great message from the KIND Snacks website:

"This belief inspired us to start the KIND Movement - our mission to spread and celebrate kindness. Small act or big, we encourage it - from writing a thank you letter to someone who deserves it to volunteering with an organization you care about. Every day, our community (aka YOU!) brings us one step closer to our goal of making kindness a state of mind." 

As a registered dietitian, I find it important to share healthy food with a healthy message and KIND Snacks are a company I am proud to support as a member of their Nutrition Collective. Not to mention their snacks are delicious, have a great variety of flavors and all are full of nutrition. 

Workout Playlist of the Week

With the warm weather in Iowa, I was feeling some beachy, coastal vibes and memories of a few of my recent trips. When music brings a memory and inspires you to work on your fitness, it is a great combination. 




What I Love Right Now


With the intentions I have set for this year and wanting to increase my time, I reached out to Rebecca Lewis, registered dietitian for Hello Fresh to see if I could try out their meal boxes. With so many on the market, I was drawn to Hello Fresh because they do employ an expert registered dietitian which makes them great already. This happy little box of healthy food, arrived at my door on Monday and was patiently waiting for me when I got home that evening. Everything was fresh and the perfect temperature. Each recipe had it's own box, clearly marked with the name of the recipe and the exact measurements of each ingredient. I was excited to dive in and start cooking. 


The first meal was The Great Caper:  Cod Piccata with Couscous and Baby Spinach



The second meal was Do the Dukkah Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Snap Peas




The third meal was Sugar-Sweet Pork Chops with Mixed Root Veggies


Are you hungry yet?  All 3 meals were very delicious and well balanced with nutrition. The proteins and veggies were fresh and I liked the flavor profiles of the each meal. I have never been a huge fan of cod, but Hello Fresh changed my mind with this great recipe. The serving sizes were exactly perfect for 2 meals and it was nice to have leftovers for lunch the next day. All the meals took less than 30 minutes to prepare, which is exactly my cooking attention span. It was nice to come home at night and have a meal planned and ready to rock in the kitchen. I plan on doing a this at least once a month, during those really busy weeks. I felt pretty fancy preparing this glamorous looking meals. 

If you want to give these delicious meals a try for yourself, go to Hello Fresh and using the following discount code FRESHFANSRD35 for $35 dollars off your first order. What are you waiting for?  It's totally worth it!

~AE






1 comment:

  1. Very magnificent article! The blog is highly informative and has answered all my questions.
    To introduce about our company and the activities, B2B contact list is a database provider
    that helps you to boost your sales& grow your business through well-build
    nutriotionists mailing lists.

    ReplyDelete