2.15.2017

New Year Wisdom Wednesday



This week marks another year around the sun for me. While most of you were celebrating New Year's in January, I always celebrate MY new year on my day of birth. For many of you, the start of 2017 may seem like a lifetime ago. Did you make resolutions? I have never been quiet on my views of resolutions, they are complete bullshit. What I believe in is setting intentions and to truly intend to make them happen. This year is the most intentions I have ever set. I am going to work on eliminating all the excess in my life that does not bring me joy or increase time, my most precious currency. I am going work on embracing my life:  the good, the bad and the ugly, all of it and all of me. I am going to elevate others by compliments, hand written notes, praise and acts of gratitude. I am going to give myself the gift of experiences through doing things out of my comfort zone, travel and other adventurous activities I have wanted to do outside of my everyday life. I am going to live this trip around the sun with complete intention. 

Ditch the resolutions (which I am guessing are long forgotten) and set your intentions, there is always time. 

Weekly Conversation

My conversation today is with Courtney Slater, RD, LD, CDE

Courtney has a strong personal connection to nutrition because of her own personal experiences and struggles with diabetes and celiac disease.  She initially started her career path in education and teaching because she loved working with kids and along the way she realized she wanted to educate others as a registered dietitian. She is now meshing her 2 passions, kids and diabetes education. Her dietitian journey so far is very inspiring and she openly shares her insight on living and help others, especially children, with these diseases.


Week in Review
This past week was a week of work and more work, ending with a little visit from my closest and dearest friend Carlena. Whenever we are together, it is full of laughs and more laughs. I think we are the only ones that find us funny, which I love. We spent the afternoon catching up on life, having a few cocktails and then spent the evening dancing away. Always an adventure with this lovely. 


I have been grateful to have the last few weekend filled with friends and family to celebrate my New Years since I will be working on my 4th intention with having an experience on my day of birth. There is no other gift more important than time with friends and family and the joy of every experience with them. 

Workout Playlist of the Week
Alright 41, bring it on! 



What I Love Right Now
I adore breakfast right now. If I could eat breakfast for all meals of the day, I probably would. Which is funny because when I was younger, I really wanted nothing to do with breakfast unless it was pop tarts or cereal. As I got older, my dad would make breakfast/brunch on Sunday mornings and I think I have kind of caught the bug. 


I had this vision the other night of this dish which involved prosciutto, hash browns, eggs, chives and a homemade white and creamy béchamel sauce. For the love of breakfast, I gave it a whirl!


I browned up 2 cups of Simply Potatoes hash browns in 2 tablespoons of butter. While those were getting toasty and happy, I whisked the following together:  7 eggs, 1/2 cup Fairlife skim milk, 6 slices of La Quercia prosciutto, diced and 3 tablespoons of diced fresh chives with a pinch of salt and pepper. I heated my non-stick skillet to medium and placed the eggs mixture in, scrambling until done. For my béchamel sauce, I melted 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat and once melted, I stirred in 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour. After about 2 minutes, the mixture starts to bubble (but watch it so it doesn't brown). I then added 1 1/4 cups of Fairlife skim milk and I continuously stirred until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil. Once it begins to boil, drop the heat to a simmer and add 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper and salt to taste. I then added 1/2 cup of 2% Sargento Shredded Sharp Cheddar and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Make sure to give it a taste and add salt if needed. By then, the potatoes are perfect, the eggs are scrambled and I was ready to plate. 

Place the 1/4 of the hash browns on the plate, top with a 1/4 of the egg scramble. Top the egg mixture with 1/4 cup of the béchamel sauce and sprinkle a few more chives on top. We had sides of fresh berries, cherry tomatoes and slices of avocado. Serves 4 people, heartily! 


Here's to another trip around the sun, full of complete joy, much love, endless adventure and time with who and what means the most to me in this world (and a slice of mom's homemade chocolate cake). 

Happy New Year!
~AE









No comments:

Post a Comment