2.01.2017

Wisdom Wednesday


There are many of days when "I. Just. Can't." I can't get out of bed. I can't get my butt to the gym. I can't get rid of the dark circles under my eyes. I can't fall asleep. The list could go on and on. The reality is, "I can." I give myself a little time to wallow in my own bucket of "can't" and then remind myself those things I can't or in all seriousness, "don't" want to do, someone else in this world wishes they could do all those things. What the hell am I complaining about?  I can get out of bed, I can get my butt to the gym, I can afford makeup to cover up my dark circles and I can do mediation to fall asleep. Whenever I let my emotions get the best of me, I let them beat me up for a few minutes, but I do not let them consume my day. The other 1435 minutes I have left in my day will be full of "I can."

Weekly Conversation


My conversation today is with Ellen Davis, RD, LD, CSSD
Ellen was always passionate about being an athlete since 7th grade running track and cross country. It wasn’t until college did she realize the connection nutrition had with her performance and health as a Division I athlete. She suffered from many injuries and realized how not fueling her body properly was part of the equation. By being an athlete herself, she wanted to help other athletes learn from her experience and now spends her time working with athletes at all different levels in all different sports. Ellen is one of the most kind and genuine woman and registered dietitians I know. She truly cares about her clients and believes their successes are also her own.


Week in Review

This past week was a busy and crazy one. I seriously felt a little zombie-ish because I missed out on some sleep, but I got shit done!  I had happy hour, a podcast and a laundry list of things to accomplish over the weekend. I helped a friend out and watched 3 dogs while he was unexpectedly out of town for his grandmothers funeral. For my readers, you know I do not own a dog and I like dogs, just not sure about 3 dogs. They were all super sweet and it was interesting having Dusty, Tucker and Hazel all snuggled in bed with me. I tried so hard not to move, I forgot to sleep! I shall never complain again about Lil g snuggling up next to me on occasion. Ever.


After this whirlwind of the weekend, I headed to work on Monday and my normal routine is to go get hot water for my a.m. tea. Bonnie, the manager of the Caribou, knows my love for polka dots and so graciously got me this clipboard with my initial on it. Seriously, such a joy to start the week out. She is just the sweetest. Big hugs all around!


Monday evening, I had the privilege to speak with and get to know the Central Iowa Dietetic District Association (CIDDA) and the Iowa State Student Dietetic Association. I shared with them one of my biggest joys (that cute little book I wrote) and why it came about. My biggest message of the night was to go after what you want, life is too short and too precious to not be doing things you love, so go find it!  It is out there just waiting for you!  The best part of the night was seeing new faces and seeing familiar faces.  I think registered dietitians are just the coolest people in the world and I am very lucky to have added more of them to my tribe!

Workout Playlist of the Week 

To be consistent with my Wisdom Wednesday quote, here are a few songs that help me get my shit together after I get my butt to the gym.



What I Love Right Now


Pretty excited about medicine to treat congestion and the sniffles, paired with a couple of donuts. This crazy Iowa weather is struggling with what season it is right now. Is it winter?  Is it Spring?  Either way, this did the trick (I think it was mostly the work of the pretty pink, red and white donuts). No time for "I can't!"


When was the last time you had a real carrot?  I mean the ones like this with the green tops and have been pulled out of the soil to create a lovely bunch like this? How lucky are we to live where we can get beautiful and delicious produce like this all year around!  This week, pass by the baby carrots and go for the real deal. You will be able to taste the difference.

My 5 minutes are over, off to rule the world!

~AE

No comments:

Post a Comment