11.09.2016

Wisdom Wednesday



Everyday is a chance to achieve, but only if you are setting goals for yourself. You don't have to shout them to the world, but it is important to nourish yourself by aiming toward things you want for yourself. I believe it is necessary to set daily and future goals to stay alive in your life. Do not expect anyone to give you a high five or a good game for accomplishing anything, but do give props to yourself. In the end, it is you who feels the reward, it is you who believes you can do anything and it is you who is going to proud of who you become because of what you can achieve. 

 Weekly Conversation


My conversation this week is with Jodi Schweiger, Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator, a wife, a mom and one of my mentors. When Jodi got out of her internship, she approached a retail business, basically cold calling them and explaining to them why they needed a registered dietitian. In her jobs to follow, she carried on this entrepreneurial spirit and has made things happen for herself professionally. Jodi's story is inspirational and noteworthy. Enjoy listening to her story on iTunes: Conversations with Anne Elizabeth: Jodi Schweiger, RD, LD, CDE

Week in Review


This past week was the amazing Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting. The theme was Refresh, Restore, Renew Your Passion for Nutrition. We had a great line up of speakers discussing Marketing with a Heart from Chere Bork, food safety, food waste with author and columnist Judy Barbe, changes in recommendations for dyslipidemia with Dr. Jim Painter, disordered eating, malnutrition, food donation and many other fantastic presentations. The best thing about the annual meeting is one of my dear friends Brenda, comes and spends a few days with me. We really recharge each others batteries so I feel the conference does restore my passion for nutrition in many ways.


I also received the Outstanding Dietitian of the Year award and I am very grateful for the wonderful dietitians I get to work with as a member of the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. We have over 900 dietitians in our amazing state and I would have never met any of them without the opportunity to volunteer and be a leader for our profession. 

Workout Playlist of the Week

I am enjoying these last few days of nice weather to hit the pavement without snow gear!  Daylight savings time is working itself out, slowly, with my workouts and sleep. Hope this playlist helps keep you motivated this week. The first song is my new favorite from Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness. You should check out the video, the concert scenes were taking in Des Moines at Wooly's this summer and I was there!!!! Listen to Workout Playlist of the Week by Anne Elizabeth on Apple Music


What I Love Right Now


At our annual meeting, we got some awesome swag and I had to share my 2 favorites. Mocu Kombucha is this great tasting, high probiotic powder that keeps my tummy happy and my immune system strong, especially when traveling. It is this great tasting powder that you just mix with water (in my Yeti of course).  My favorite flavor is the Pear Ginger Zing, but there are other great flavors too. The best part is the story behind the brand. I had a chance to speak with Toby, the owner of Mocu, and his quest for health is inspiring. This is a must have addition for your health. 

My other favorite is a Eco Lips, a local company who makes THE BEST LIP BALMS (I have a tiny obsession with lip balms). Eco Lips is based out of Cedar Rapids, Iowa and uses only the best natural and organic ingredients in their balm. They have a new balm called their MONGO KISS™  made with cocoa butter and Mongo Oil from Africa. It is like "butter" when it hits the lips. I love it!  Eco Lips is also such a cool company, you can create your own balm. I may have a tube in the kitchen, by my bed, at work, in my car, in my gym bag....you get my drift. 


Another love of this week was making homemade potato soup over the weekend. It was a beautiful weekend full of work, walks and relaxing, so soup felt like a perfect fit. Make sure to make it with love and enjoy!

Pretty Damn Perfect Potato Soup
Serves 12

Ingredients:
12 slices of center cut bacon, diced
1/2 medium white onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
8 small golden potatoes, diced
sea salt to taste
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
7 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup 2% milk
10 ounces heavy cream
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar (white or yellow), divided 
3-4 green onions, diced

Instructions:
1.  Place diced bacon into a large pot over medium heat and cook until bacon is crisp. 
2. Remove bacon and rendered fat from the pot and place on paper towels to drain, set aside. Do not clean the pot and place back on stove bring back to medium heat. 
3. Add the diced onions, carrots, and celery and potatoes to the pot, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes. 
4. Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil, cooking for an additional 10 minutes. 
5. While the potatoes are becoming tender, whisk the flour into the milk and then adding to the soup. 
6. Bring the soup to a gentle boil for 3-4 minutes. 
7. Place 3-4 cups of the soup into a blender and process until smooth (be careful, it's hot!)
8. Add the blended soup back into the pot and check seasoning. 
9. Add in cream, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 of the bacon pieces, warm the soup for about 2 minutes on low heat. 
10. Use remaining bacon, cheese and diced green onions as toppings. 

~AE



No comments:

Post a Comment