11.16.2016

Wisdom Wednesday

Hell yeah!!! This time of year, many of us lose site of what the season is truly about. Instead of getting up at 3 am on Black Friday, why not stroll down to your kitchen in your pj's at a normal hour? Food made with love is the best gift you can give your special ones. Whether it is a snack, a loaf of bread, appetizers at your holiday cocktail party, something sweet or a meal with your heartbeats, nothing means more than creating something in your kitchen for the people who mean the most to you. Stop the madness during the holiday season. Pull out your favorite holiday recipes and surprise someone with your cooking to nourish your heart and the hearts of others. 

Weekly Conversation


My conversation this week is with registered dietitian Erin Thole, MBA, MS, RD, CSSD, LD 

Erin and I have known each other professionally through the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics by volunteering in Marketing. This is when I learned Erin has a passion for nutrition and dietetics, but also for sports, running and business. What is fascinating about hearing Erin's story, is she struggled to find a job out of her internship and decided to start her own business as a new dietitian. She is one of a handful of certified sports dietitians in Iowa, continues to own and run her own business and is also working in a completely different area of the health and wellness landscape. Not only has she changed her life professionally this year, she is also changing her life personally by getting married in December. This girl is busy and loves the challenge!


Week in Review



For me, this past week was all about celebrating our Veterans and celebrating my favorite veteran, my Papa. This is my favorite picture of my Dad and was taken long before I was even a twinkle in his eye. I am so thankful for this special man. I am thankful for all the other special men and women who defend and protect our country and freedom. Damn we are lucky!  We really need to be grateful every day for all the things we take for granted.  I know Dad spent the day with his Air Force buddies and I can only imagine the stories and BS "flying" around them all. 


I got a nice little surprise in the mail and my book was featured in Food and Nutrition Magazine, so exciting!  I think I was more mesmerized by all the other amazing books being created by registered dietitians. We are a really amazing group of professionals and a bunch of smarty pants. So proud to be featured amongst these authors. 

Workout Playlist of the Week

Hey, the 90's called, they want their music back and my horrible hair-don't back in the day. You can't see the last song on the playlist, but you are going to love it!  Listen to Workout Playlist of the Week by Anne Elizabeth on Apple Music. 



What I Love Right Now

Hachiya - Eat only when completely soft
PERSIMMONS! These are seriously my favorite fruit right now!  Have you ever tried one?  The name means food of the gods and these heart-shaped beauties are grown in warm climates, like California. I love introducing people to these delicious fruits during the holidays because that is when they are in season. They are such a beautiful orange color and the fugu's are sweet and creamy. The most common varieties are the fuyu (tomato shaped) and hachiyas (acorn shaped). Before eating either, chose one that is nice and ripe (soft to touch). You can slice them and remove the skin or cut the persimmon in half and scoop out the yumminess with a spoon. If they are not ripe the hachiya variety will have an astringent taste, so be careful!


Besides enjoying them with my tacos this week, I really like to slice them and smear a little goat cheese and sprinkle pepitas on top. I also saw this delicious idea:  Persimmon Tart from EyeDocBakes, so I am going to practice what I preach in my Wisdom Wednesday and make this for Thanksgiving with A LOT of LOVE. Persimmons are packed full of Vitamin A and C, so a great fruit to help boost your immune system as the season changes. Get out there and try one before they are gone!

~AE



No comments:

Post a Comment