10.12.2016

Wisdom Wednesday


One of my worst defense mechanisms is getting a bit scary when I am scared. Actually, I get really scary. My fears get manifested into everything but what they actually are. I take out my fears on those I care about by lashing out, not making sense with my words and actions and just being off my rocker. The key to being scared is just admitting it. Those who know you and care about you will understand and do everything they can to ease your fears. What they do not need or deserve is to deal with your scary, scared self. You need to deal with it and let them help you along the way. 

Week in Review


This past weekend I took a little trip with my friends to New Orleans for the first time. I had no expectations and was excited to experience the city, try some new food and experience the culture. The area we stayed in was busy and bustling with tons of people, music, cocktails and entertainment. We ventured around French Quarter and wandered through the streets and shops. The architecture is beautiful and there is so much history around every corner. 


I experienced my first and beignets. Holy deliciousness!  I had them 2 different ways in 2 different places. The first was beignet fries with a caramel bourbon sauce and sliced bananas, similar to a version of Bananas Foster at Pere Antonine Restaurant. I got these first before my breakfast sandwich and I am glad I did because they were a lot tastier than my sandwich and paired perfectly with my coffee. 


The day I left, I got my steps in by wandering to the infamous Cafe Du Monde. I saved the best for last, hands down. 3 lovely fluffy fried rectangles of dough and sprinkled powdered sugar, perfectly paired with a Cafe Au Lait = Priceless. I am glad I had to walk a bit to get there so I could take the long way back to my hotel to burn off some of those calories. I would be in trouble if I lived there. The Cafe Au Lait would be just as troublesome. 


The other food I had to experience when I was in NOLA was a good shrimp poboy and my friend Kevin took us to Killer Poboys. A little bit different from a traditional poboy, but really good. They have a collection of different menu options like smoked salmon, sweet potato and pork belly poboys. The shrimp was amazing, along with the tangy smothered greens. I also indulged in their aged cheddar grilled cheese on crunchy, whole grain bread with a 7th Street Wheat Lemon Basil Beer from NOLA Brewing Company


Workout Playlist of the Week
Here are the tunes I jammed out to while doing a couple workouts in NOLA and much needed workouts when I got back.

Listen to Workout Playlist of the Week by Anne Elizabeth on Apple Music.


What I Love Right Now
When it comes to snacks, I always strive to make sure I am balancing my protein and carbohydrates each time. When I am busy working or traveling, I have been taking apples with me and pouches of nut butter. My favorite is still peanut based butters. 


My favorite apple this fall is Jonagold. This beauty is from Michigan and has a delicious crisp sweet and sour taste. This is the perfect time of year to experience a vast variety of apples and they will keep in your refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. The Jonagold travels nicely and holds up to a few bumps along the way.


To pair with my Jonagold, I am really liking Buddy's Small Batch Nut Butter portable peanut butter packages, especially the Cinnamon Raisin flavor. These packets are perfect to have with you at all times when you may need some healthy protein and fats. Sometimes, I might even eat it alone!  Very satisfying and healthy.  These will be an addition to my carry on while packing for my next trip to FNCE, my National Registered Dietitian Convention in Boston this weekend. 

~AE


No comments:

Post a Comment