8.24.2013

My Favorite Summer Salad


Summer brings so many vegetables from the garden that have rich color and amazing flavors. There is just a difference in the taste of garden vegetables. Each time I have visited my parents, I come home with goodie bags filled with colorful goodness.

Growing up, I remember one of my favorite salads my Grandma Jose made. It was one of the easiest recipes and was  a continual summer side dish made with fresh cucumbers and my favorite, onions. I like to take it one step further and add the sweet taste of tomatoes to it. Make sure to try my favorite summer salad.

Cucumber Summer Salad


Ingredients

  • 5 medium tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
  • 1 small to medium red onion, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
  • 2 large cucumbers, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups of white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup Truvia
  • Coarse salt and  black pepper, to taste

Directions

Dissolve sugar and Truvia into white vinegar.

Dress the tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Pour vinegar mixture over vegetable mix in and air tight container.

Let stand while you prepare dinner, about 20 minutes or for best results, overnight.

Toss before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment