12.13.2012

A "Jarring" Week

Well, it has just been one of those weeks. Have you ever not had a working cell phone? I have been without one this week and I am finally back into the world of connection. I cannot believe how much I rely on having it and when it was gone, I felt anxiously disconnected with my world!  I was without my alarm clock, scheduler, to-do list, contacts, email...the list goes on. So finally, today, my world became more calm and collected when everything was working again.

It made me think about how much I rely on other things in my life for calm and happiness. When really, there is plenty of calm and happiness surrounding me in so many other ways. I can survive and still be connected with my self and world, without a cell phone.

I also got many fun things done, like my jar gifts for the holidays. This is a easy and thoughtful idea for holiday gifts. Anything can be a jar gift, but I decided to go with food ideas (with the help of my assistant Alysse). We made soups, brownies, cookies, chili and granola. Put a fun bow and the recipe on the jar and you just warmed the heart of someone you love with something homemade.

I will share one of my favorite recipes that you can use. I also made one for myself to end my jarring week with a touch of homemade comfort and to celebrate my re-connection with the world.

Tuxedo Brownies

1/2 cup walnuts

1/2 cup white chocolate chips

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

2/3 cup brown sugar, packed

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/3 cup baking cocoa

2/3 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation

Layer all ingredients in order listed in a one-quart, wide-mouth jar, being sure to pack down after each addition. Secure lid and attach baking instructions and a gift tag.

Instructions: Empty brownie mix into a large bowl. Add 3 eggs, 1/2 cup oil and one teaspoon vanilla extract. Pour into a greased 9"x9" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 to 25 minutes. Cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment