9.02.2009

My parents are pretty big gardeners and create a beautiful garden every year on my grandfathers farm. I get tons of tasty vegetables and in large quantities! This past year, my cousin Michelle from Alaska, sent my dad some root to purple potatoes. So he planted it in his garden. He now has a "crop" of purple potatoes. There are purple, inside and out. These are a new crop of colored potatoes and have all the wonderful benefits of regular potatoes: Vit C, folic acid potassium and iron. But they also have a higher antioxidant level. I baked one the other day and it was tasty and also tasted very much like a potato. So with the rest of my crop, I decided to make some homemade potato chips.

Homemade Potato Chips

2 large potatoes
1 tablespoon of Hy-Vee Grand Garlic Flavored Olive Oil
1 teaspoon of sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Slice potatoes into chip (preferably 1/8 in thick) and place in resealable bag
3. Place olive oil in with potatoes and shake well
4. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until crispy
5. Sprinkle sea salt on top while still warm

Average calories per serving (10-12 chips) would be 75 calories and 2 grams of fat.

This can be done with sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. If you are looking to experiment, try different flavored oils or no-salt spices and herbs. Anything goes with your own potato chips!