3.06.2019

#WeeklyWisdom and National Nutrition Month Nosh

#WeeklyWisdom and National Nutrition Month Nosh

How are you celebrating National Nutrition Month?

I started off the month polishing off a bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs (shimmer edition) so I feel I am 100% killing it so far. I really did, rang in March 1st with a bang!

Along the way in my dietitian career, I have heard something very similar to the quote above a few different times. I think I can sometimes get too focused on nutrition and forget the very important food component. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics did not choose a theme this year for National Nutrition Month, so I thought I would share my forever theme:  Nutrition means nothing without food. There would be no Registered Dietitian Nutritionists without food and I think we really need to take a step back and soak this phrase in for a hot minute. In this weeks podcast with Carrie, Nicole and Dave, all of the importance of this topic came to light and got me thinking more of what this month means to me. 

Sometimes I get a little preoccupied with food trends. 
How the does golden milk match latte taste?  Where can I buy the rosemary MCT oil infused cauliflower pizza crust?  What benefits have you noticed from the Reishi mushroom infused coffee? Many of us are privilege to even know what any of this means. I am privileged. The majority of our clients and customers do not have one clue what we are talking about. 

We need to go back to basics and really remember the food. Where does it come from?  How do we get it? How do we prepare it? How do we store it?  How do we nourish our bodies with it?

Food is not the same for everyone. We come from different heritages, backgrounds and geographical  locations. Everyone shops, cooks and eats in very unique ways.  All of us have different grocery and dining out budgets. All of us have different access to food. National Nutrition Month is about putting food first and honoring how everyone has their own journey with food. 

#embracethehellyeah | #lessstuffmorelife

~AE

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to share this wonderful article with us. This was such an excellent post on what you eat can help your overall health. Have a great rest of your day.
    Dentist Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete