2.27.2019

#WeeklyWisdom and "43 in Austin, TX" Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom. 

#WeeklyWisdom and One Day at a Time Nosh

How do you plan your life?

Hello, my name is Anne and I am a recovering control freak, 21 days sober. 

I am Type A. I love my lists, love to check them off, love to have everything in place. A few weeks ago I had a mini meltdown. It was a Monday night and what I had placed in my planner to do that day, completely fell apart and would lead to a week of other days falling apart. A vicious cycle of things not going as planned at work, with my workouts, with my meals and with my personal life. 

While I was sharing my dismay with my friend and doing everything short of bawling my eyes out, he told me to "just take one day a time."  Don't plan your week on Sunday night, just plan your next day. If things didn't go as planned on one day, then then next day you can start fresh. A clean entry in your planner instead of an entry you have to scribble out. I know this is not a new concept but it was a concept resonating with me at this particular moment in my life. 

I have been taking one day at a time for 21 days and it is working out lovely. I am more positive, my days are actually going much smoother. I haven't given myself the one-two punch and no tears have been shed. I know not everyday is going to be rainbows and roses but maybe I'm finally getting a hold of this adulting thing entering my 43rd trip around the sun. 

I am looking forward to tomorrow. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTX Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast


What makes you say “hellyeah” at the end of the day?  For any question I am asked or I ask myself, if I cannot 100% say hell yeah as my answer then it is a hell no. I want you to embrace saying yes with your whole heart and soul by enjoying every part of your authentic life. At the end of each month, I want to get more up close and personal with you all on the other side of the airwaves and share with you more about how my podcast guests are I are doing our best to #embracethehellyeah.  

Nosh Three. Weekly #Hellyeah!

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXNosh

Austin, TX has been a city on my bucket list, so this year rang in the new year in a little warmer weather down south. I had no expectations or agenda, just a "go with the flow" kind of mentality. I did a little research on things to do, but I have found the less you plan the better time you have. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXTequilaShinerBock

I got into town in the evening on Saturday and stayed close to all the happenings of Sixth Street and South Congress. Sixth Street reminded me of Nashville and Bourbon Street combined. Around 8 pm they close off the street with no cars allowed and people are able to wander from bar to bar. First on the list was live music, a Shiner Bock, which I have never had before and a shot of tequila at The Library. Cute bar with an upstairs to watch the entertainment both inside and outside of the bar. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXLoneStarBeer

Second on the list was a Lone Star, which was also my first one.  There were many stops that evening and many Lone Star's. The weather was a warm 50 degrees (which felt tropical, compared to Iowa) and walking around through all the excitement was fun. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXTheGrove

New Years Day started off a little slow but nothing a couple aspirins and many ounces of water couldn't cure. The sun was shining and I headed out to explore Austin during the day. The Austin Marathon was happening that day, so it was fun to walk around Congress Street where everything Marathon was happening. I then broke away, headed west and stopped by the first coffee shop that looked interesting, The  Grove. I ordered a latte, a blueberry Danish (which they warmed up for me and it was amazing), their signature chocolate chip cookie and some bubbly to kick off the day. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXWaterlooRecords

I kept heading west and landed at the original Whole Foods for a quick stop and Waterloo Records, a huge music store. I didn't realize I was close to the Mean Eyed Cat and Torchy's Tacos, which were both recommended to me but will have to wait for another trip. I then headed back toward my hotel, stopped for cheese dip, tacos and vodka at the Iron Cactus on their rooftop. It was nap time until it was cake time, which got a little late on me. I had to have a little cake and a cocktail before the day was over. I stopped by The Capital Grille which I knew would have both. The Warm Double Chocolate Cake with port wine infused cherries and ice cream with a French 75 was the most loveliest way to end the day, sans phone. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXVoodooDoughnuts

Have you heard of VooDoo Doughnut?  I had heard of it a few times this summer when we were in Denver and realized it is only in a few places in the US. I had no idea it was going to be so close to my hotel. However, there was a line outside of the building and there was no way I was going to wait in line for food. It is not my thing. I walked by the pretty pink building Saturday and Sunday. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXVoodooDoughnutsPinkBox

But then there was Monday morning and there was no line. Lucky me. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXVoodooDoughnutsTheDriskell

I did enjoy a few doughnuts from VooDoo, throughout the rest of the trip. I got my pink box of Chuckles, Portland Cream, Old Dirty Bastard, Mango Tango and Chocolate Coconut Cake. I then walked down the street to The Driskill, the iconic hotel in Austin built in 1886 and ordered the Hangover Burger from the 1886 Cafe and Bakery before indulging in my doughnuts. Legend has it The Driskill is haunted, so I decided to dine on the patio. I spent the rest of the day walking in and out of various shops along Congress. There are many unique places to pop in and out of and I enjoyed not buying a thing to continue my year of #lessstuffmorelife. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXStubbsBBQ

As Monday was winding down, I was very much looking forward to the evening I had planned. I wanted to go see The Moody Theater at Austin City Limits when I booked my trip but I thought it would be even more fun to see a concert there. I went online to see what was happening and bought my ticket for Mt. Joy and Rainbow Kitten Surprise. I had not heard of either band so this was going to be an adventure. But first, BBQ. There are many places to eat BBQ in Austin. There is the infamous Franklins BBQ in which people will wait 5 hours, but alas, I am not a fan of waiting for food. There was a place by the Moody Theater but I wanted traditional BBQ so I went to Stubb's. It was solid. Delicious brisket and pulled pork, which is my favorite. The corn bread had jalapenos in it, which I loved. I couldn't decide on a side, so I got onion rings, mac and cheese and mashed sweet potatoes. Carb and meat heaven. I really like Stubb's BBQ sauce too, which I have purchased here in Iowa. Very much enjoyed it and did not have to wait. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXShesnothere

My friend and I met up at a cute little place by the venue called She's Not Here for happy hour prior to the show. It caught my eye because of outside, the front of the restaurant is painted in beautiful colors and flowers. The Pacific-Asian Cocktail bar had a fun Happy Hour menu of unique drinks and eats. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXShesnotherecocktails

We enjoyed the Rhubarb and Pain Killer Cocktails. The presentation was too fun with the umbrella and pineapple glass. Very festive way to kick off the night of adventure. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXAustinCityLimits

The Moody Theater was very cool. There was not a taping tonight but it was the second sold out show for Rainbow Kitten Surprise. On the mezzanine level, you can view many different photos of artists who performed there and the views from outside the theater are pretty awesome. There was plenty of Tito's vodka at every bar on every level of the theater. We had seats in the balcony, which were great, there is no bad seat in the house. I was hoping for a concert shirt with a kitten and a rainbow, but there wasn't one!  I will keep looking. Both of the bands were really good and I found some new songs to add to the rotation. Make sure to check out my soundtrack of the week for a few of my favorites. 

Nosh Four. Weekly Soundtrack. 

#WeeklyWisdom43inAustinTXSoundtrackoftheWeek
Find my "43 Soundtrack of the Week" on Apple Music and Spotify


Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now.

#WeeklyWisdomWhatILoveRightNowJoyJar

Another year down and another one starting. Another #joyjar to fill. I love going through all my joys from the previous year, what am amazing reminder of all the awesome there was in my life. 

#embracethehellyeah | #lessstuffmorelife

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!




1 comment: