3.27.2019

Weekly Wisdom and March 2019 Embrace the Hellyeah

Nosh One. Wisdom.

WeeklyWisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah Inspirational Quote

How do you like your eggs?

I may have posted a few comments about eggs this past week because of the "news" as of late. Which is why I find science and nutrition very fascinating. It is ever-evolving and there is always a study in progress about numerous nutrition-related topics. That being said, it is very important to really educate yourself as a consumer with fact, not fear. The media latches on to releases of information when it hits a personal note with consumers. Headlines everyone has a personal experience will encourage clicks, likes, dislikes and conversation - which is exactly the goal. The media is not taking the time to dig deep and really understand the headline, it just needs to keep its sex appeal. 

As we close out National Nutrition Month, all consumers need to really invest in their own wellness journey. Don't read a headline and take it 100% to heart. Read more, investigate more. And if you do not understand it but want to, reach out to a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. We are curious about science, we research and do everything to understand science so we can provide education through facts. We want you to understand and apply nutrition in a positive way in your life and with the same amount of care and consideration as we do with our own loved ones. 

Happy National Nutrition Month 2019!

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah Podcast


What makes you say “hellyeah” at the end of the day?  For any question I am asked or I ask myself, if I cannot 100% say hell yeah as my answer then it is a hell no. I want you to embrace saying yes with your whole heart and soul by enjoying every part of your authentic life. At the end of each month, I want to get more up close and personal with you all on the other side of the airwaves and share with you more about how my podcast guests are I are doing our best to #embracethehellyeah.  
Connect and let me know what you think by emailing me or connecting with me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter

Nosh Three. Weekly #Hellyeah!

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah

I was not joking at all about how I am currently taking my eggs, shimmer edition please. 

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah

I was pretty excited for Lenten Season to arrive to help get me back on track with incorporating sustainable fish into my eating habits. I have been getting excited and interested in consuming more fish because my friend Jenny Shea Rawn has a beautiful website called My Cape Code Kitchen and shares the most incredible and approachable recipes involving seafood and fish. I decided for the first Friday in Lent, we were going to kick it off with a bang and have both scallops AND mussels. 

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah

I finally got the opportunity to visit my Mom to celebrate my birthday after multiple weekends of repeated snow storms, so I packed up my delicious eats and headed west. Fresh scallops, fresh mussels, crusty french bread and a little whiskey. 

#WeeklyWisdom and March Embracethehellyeah Hy-Vee Fleur Seafood Manager, Delmar

The Seafood Manager, Delmar, at my store is THE BEST!  He is from the beautiful country of Jamaica and educates me a little more every day about seafood and fish. I have dined on mussels in restaurants but never made them on my own. He picked out the most amazing mussels by opening up the package and choosing only the ones that were tightly closed and a nice dark color. They are alive and if they are opened at all, they are not alive anymore and you do not want to consume them. When he wrapped them, he made the point to make sure the package has holes poked in it so the mussels get air and do not get suffocated. I had no idea! He then wrapped up a package of the freshest scallops (yes you can get them in Iowa, just come see Delmar at the Fleur Drive Hy-Vee in Des Moines). 

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah

Before I left the store, I knew I was going to keep it very simple because fish does not need to be fussy. I grabbed my favorite gourmet gardens squeezable garlic, some fresh basil, garlic and a large can of fire roasted tomatoes. 

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah

Scallops were a cinch. I rinsed both the mussels and scallops in cold water. I placed the scallops on a few paper towels, patted them dry and sprinkled with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Then I heated 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 pat of butter in a pan over medium - high heat. Once the oil started to smoke, I placed the scallops in the pan and seared each side for around 5 minutes. Do not move them around or touch them after you place them in the pan to get a nice sear on each side. 

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah

For the mussels, got a nice large and deeper pan, heated to medium and added a few quirts of my garlic. Once I could start smelling the garlic, I added the can of fire roasted tomatoes, freshly ground pepper to taste and heated to a nice simmer. I added the fresh mussels (about 1 pound) and heated them until they popped open about 1/4 - 1/2 an inch and then mixed them with the tomato goodness. Took less than 10 minutes. We placed the mussels in a bowl, sprinkled fresh basil on top and got our crusty bread ready for dipping. 

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah

After our divine meal, I got my long awaited homemade Mahogany Chocolate Birthday Cake with ice cream. My mom knows the exact ratio of ice cream to cake. This was the best cake she has made to date.

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah


Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah

Even though my birthday was in February, I have carried the party over way into the middle of March. My sweet friend Brenda and I got to spend some much needed time together and got to see one of our favs - Matt Nathanson in concert. What a great night of good conversation, food and music. Less stuff more life!

Nosh Four. Weekly Soundtrack. 

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah
Find my "Matt Nathanson Soundtrack of the Week" on Apple Music

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now.

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah

I like to spoil my Lil g and she turned 10 this past year, so why not!  I came across this sweet account on Instagram called Bruce and Fox Designs that makes irresistible handmade cat toys handmade cat toys featuring unique fabrics & potent catnip/silvervine. 10% of their proceeds go to rescue efforts and gangster kitty loves them. I find them all over the house in random places, so they are getting a lot of love.  Make sure to check out their Etsy shop, so many fun and different sizes, shapes and prints. 

Weekly Wisdom March EmbracetheHellyeah

To bring Spring in and finalize all my month and a half long birthday celebration, I enjoyed time with my sweet cousin Christine and a beautiful bouquet of tulips in the most endearing color of purple. I hope you all get a chance to celebrate special moments in your life with people you just make your heartbeat strong and loud. Moments are pure joy!  

#weeklywisdom and embrace the hellyeah purple tulips

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment