4.08.2020

"Essential" Weekly Wisdom

Written definition of the word essential in black writing with a polka dot background


What do you deem "essential?"

I have thought a lot about this word and definition a lot over the past 3 weeks. I have never thought about a word or definition that long in my entire life. I don't think anyone has. But have you really thought about what is essential in your life?

I am an essential worker right now. I am also an essential daughter and friend. My mom is an essential human in my life, so are my other heartbeats. In the terms of human life, that is what essential means to me. 

But then there are things, things we "think" are essential but really they are not. Pringles are not essential. Easter candy is not essential. Getting my nails and hair done is not essential. Going to movies, walking around a mall, gambling - those are not essential. And I can't believe I am going to say this, but Netflix is not essential. 

As I have been thinking of what I would deem essential outside of humans in my life, I am struggling with it. I have come accustomed to a way of life and have always thought everything I need (or do I just want it) would be right at my fingertips. This situation is an incredible hard slap in the face of reality. Nothing is every guaranteed in our lives, even people or things I have determined to be essential. I hope I will always have water to drink. I hope I will have food to eat. I hope I will have clothes to wear and a bed to sleep in. I hope my family and friends live forever. 

After my many days of how I could define essential in my life and that would be:  having human connection, just enough food to fuel my abilities I have been graciously given and being kind. 

Take a moment today (or 3 weeks if you need it) and create your definition. 

#embracethehellyeah

~AE




No comments:

Post a Comment