6.12.2019

"Kick Ass Music Never Expires" Weekly Wisdom

Music Quote

What was the first and the last concert you went to?

My first was Spin Doctors with the Screaming Trees. 
My last was New Kids on the Block, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, Naughty by Nature and Salt-N-Pepa. 

There is something about music that stands the test of time. I can hear a song I haven't heard in a million years and it can take me back to a certain place and time in my life. I remember events, people, smells, weather and even feel the same emotions from this place in time. 

As I was listening to Debbie Gibson this past Sunday, I forgot how much I loved her!  It was 1988 and I remember begging my parents to buy her record Out of the Blue. I cannot tell you how many times I listened to it. When she started singing, I knew every word to every song and quickly recalled the numerous lip syncing dance parties I had in my parents family room. I just needed my hair brush microphone and I would have been 12 years old again - (by the way, she sounds just a great as she did back then). As my 43 year old self, I couldn't stop smiling thinking about how much joy she brought me then and how much joy she brought me Sunday night. 

All the music in my life is kick ass music -you might not all agree and that's cool. Thank goodness there is so many options to go around for all of us. And thank goodness our favorite jams will have no expiration date. It will always be a part of my life. It will always be a part of all the internal structures of me. I will "listen to the oldies" and be thrilled by discovering newbies.  I am so grateful for the place music has in my life, most importantly live music. It's crazy how many concerts I have been to.  Moving forward, I am going to write them all down and try to remember the ones from the past to keep adding to the storytelling "Mix Tape" of my life. 

#embracethehellyeah | #lessstuffmorelife

~AE

No comments:

Post a Comment