2.06.2019

#WeeklyWisdom and "Stay In Your Lane" Nosh

#WeeklyWisdom and "Stay In Your Lane" Nosh



Do you find it difficult at times to explain what a registered dietitian is and is not?

I cannot count the number of times someone asks me what a dietitian is or does and then proceeds to ask me about an ailment they have or ask me how to make something like sourdough bread. I am always 100% honest and let them know I am not an expert in either. 

I try to stay in my lane and let things up to experts. I am always willing to refer these questions to the right people and create a network of people with proven track records to answer those questions. I may have personal experiences with a variety of areas but there is a distinct difference in being self-proclaimed and having the education and experience in any given field.  I am not big on creating and sharing recipes because I am not a chef and I don't offer medical advice just because I took numerous classes with medical students. 

We get pissed off when celebrities or other self-proclaimed nutritionist educate people on nutrition but why aren't other professions getting pissed right back at us for trying to be experts in something we are not?  I wouldn't want my financial advisor telling me what I should be eating to lose weight. Why would any dietitian be offering financial consulting in the same respect?

Being a dietitian is awesome but it is even more awesome when I stay in my lane. I do not want to be everything to everyone, I just want to be the expert in my field. I want to keep educating myself, growing, learning as much as possible. What I don't want to do is overstep my expertise or my boundaries. I just want to be damn good at being a registered dietitian. 

#embracethehellyeah | #lessstuffmorelife

~AE



No comments:

Post a Comment