11.28.2018

#WeeklyWisdom and Top 5 Gift Giving Ideas Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.

#WeeklyWisdom:  Be 1% better everyday. The Kaizen Method.
How are you striving to be 1% better everyday?

Each Monday, we have a department manager meeting with our store director, Ryan. We discuss the week ahead and our plan of action. At the end, he always shares something to inspire us, to give us purpose. A few weeks ago, he discussed this idea:  be 1% better everyday. 

Mind-blown. 

I have never thought of conquering the day in this way before.  I have always "thought" bigger. How could 1% be enough?  If I am only striving for 1%, am I selling myself short?  I can do more than that...or so I thought. I would try too hard and then not even get close to 1% better in 365 days. I didn't see it as a commendable goal. 

When we make goals tangible and within our reach, it is much easier for us to change our mindset and decreased being overwhelmed by the big picture. We shift into "what can I do today" to reach my goals instead of "what do I need to do this entire year" to reach my goals. When we narrow it down, make it more specific and achievable, it is much less overwhelming therefore resulting in recognizable success. The daily success make a lifetime of success. 

At the end of our meeting, Ryan left us with this:  “When you improve a little each day, eventually big things occur. When you improve conditioning a little each day, eventually you have a big improvement in conditioning. Not tomorrow, not the next day, but eventually a big gain is made. Don’t look for the big, quick improvement. Seek the small improvement one day at a time. That’s the only way it happens — and when it happens, it lasts.” —John Wooden

Make it last, aim for 1% better everyday. 

 Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation.

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast, November 2018 Top 5 in 5

Each week, I put out my Weekly Wisdom Blog which includes my Top 5 Nutrition Noshes: my Weekly Wisdom, my Weekly Conversations, my Weekly #Hellyeah, my Weekly Kick Ass Jams and What I Love Right Now. At the end of each month, I want to get more up close and personal with you all on the other side of the airwaves. I will be recapping my crazy, delicious and random #hellyeah adventures in my  Top 5 in 5. November kicks off the holiday madness and I am chatting with you about being grateful and thankful all year long, while embracing the #hellyeah.


Nosh Three. Weekly #Hellyeah!

Hy-Vee Service Awards

At the end of October, I celebrated 10 years with Hy-Vee as a retail dietitian. 10 years, wowza. I will honestly say it truly does not seem that long. I am not kidding either!  I have said in the past, this work experience was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I continue to not feel like I am at "work" because I do love my job. I also love the company I work for, especially the amazing store, the Fleur Hy-Vee. Hy-Vee celebrates all employees starting at year 5, up to years 45 and up. I think it is mind-blowing to have people celebrate work anniversaries of those years. It speaks to how great the company I work for is. 

Ron Pearson Conference Center, West Des Moines, IA

We were honored at the Ron Pearson Center in West Des Moines, with a lovely dinner. There were at least 13 other individuals from my store and at least 100 individuals from other stores in the Des Moines metro. This chocolate cake and wine was divine. 

My Mom

The best part of the evening was my date. I was very honored to have my Mom there. I remember back to when I told her and my Dad I was applying for a job in Des Moines at the kitchen table. It was a crossroads in my life and I know she was worried about the outcome. It was a joy to be able to celebrate this milestone together and the positive outcome resulting from the move. It a way, I must thank my first boss, Wes and my corporate dietitian at the time, Rochelle, for choosing me and offering me the job. It was the beginning of a better and happier life. I wouldn't have celebrated 10 years without them believing in me as retail dietitian. Looking forward to what there is to come in the next 10 years. 

Nosh Four. Weekly Music Playlist. 

1% Better Everyday Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify
1% Better Everyday Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Embarking on a #lessstuffmorelife mantra is still kind of hard for a lot of people to wrap their heads around, especially during this time of year. Just because it is how I choose to live my life, doesn't mean it is for everyone. I do like to give gifts to the special people in my life, all year round. Working in retail, I get to walk by a lot of things that catch my eye for gifts annnddd for myself. It is hard to resist temptation sometimes. When I do purchase a variety of things, I have a rule that it must come from the store I work in. I do not go after the best deals or drive to 15 different places for 15 different items. Shopping in one place helps me continue my devotion to less stuff more life. In honor of the upcoming holiday, I picked my favorites from around my store and I hope it will inspire you to think of gift giving in a different way. 

Top 5 #GiftGiving Ideas from AE and the Fleur Hy-Vee

Gift Giving Idea #1:  Make something from scratch
Gift Giving Idea #1:  Make something from scratch. There is nothing more special than spending time in your kitchen cooking or baking something you know one of your heartbeats will love. I had to purchase these very Anne Elizabeth appropriate bags for some sweet and savory goodies I plan to make. I will paper punch the top of the bags and tie them off with a pretty bow. Food is love.

Russell Stover Large Chocolate box
Gift Giving Idea #2:  Give something sweet. You can also give something sweet in #1 but if time is not on your side, there is a huge variety of sweets available during the holidays. I believe you can never go wrong with chocolate which is why this large box of Russell Stover's made my list. I gave this as a gift to my cousin Denis a couple of years ago and it was a hit. It  is a HUGE box of chocolates so it is a great conversation starter and you can share with everyone. The box does tell you which chocolate is what, so your friends and family can choose the one they like. 

Two Left Feet Sock Co
Gift Giving Idea #3:  Give the gift of warm feet.  I know, I know, socks are practical and is something we often get for a gift but I cannot think of anything better than cute designs to warm my piggies. You don't have to buy the boring and lame socks, pick out a pair matching the personality of your receiver (I am eyeing the egg ones for my friend Carlena). This is a great way to put some thought into your heartbeat and wish them warm, cozy and fashionable feet during the cold months.

Duke Cannon personal products
Gift Giving Idea #4:  For the men in your life. I love walking by this section of the store because is smells dreamy. Duke Cannon products, inspired by the products issued to G.I.'s during the Korean War and produced in the same U.S. based and family-owned company plant in Minnesota that supplied it during that era, is one of my favorite lines to purchase from for all the men in my life. Grandpas, Dads, brothers, boyfriends, husbands, nephews or your paper boy would love anything from this collection. There are body soaps, facial soaps, beard oils and balms, shave and aftershave products and body lotions.  My favorite is the Big Ass Brick of Soap. The best part, Duke Cannon is committed to giving back and a portion of their proceeds directly supports Veteran causes. Give your guy a laugh and help them smell good this year. 

Fur sweater from F&F Clothing
Gift Giving Idea #5:  For the women in your life. I still cannot believe inside my grocery store is a rockstar clothing store. F&F has so many fashionable and reasonably priced pieces of clothing for all shapes and sizes. There are jeans, pants, blouses, tees, coats, workout clothing, accessories, and #1 on my list: sweaters. When it comes to an article of clothing, an awesome cozy sweater can't be beat. Why I chose this as a great gift idea for all my girls is the fur. Just a touch of fur adds the right amount of glam to make it even more special. This sweater would look great on all my family and friends, even Gramma Alice who wears fur like celebrity. 

There you have my Top 5 Gift Giving ideas for 2018. Keep it simple, give from the heart and make sure it has purpose. People do not need more stuff, they need things to give more meaning to their lives. 


~AE


*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment