9.05.2018

#WeeklyWisdom and Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.

 #WeeklyWisdom:  Not since the Caveman have humans eaten so much food on sticks.

Did you attend your State Fair this summer?  

I think State Fair's get a bad rap sometimes. We assume everything is either farm related or it is a deep-fried something on a stick that lasts for 10+ days in the summer. What I have realized over the past few years is State Fairs are a long-standing traditions of the celebration of what your great state is all about. It celebrates culture, industry, culinary experiences, competition, music, family and agriculture. It is a place where the whole population of a state can come together and celebrate. 

People in Iowa are always a little jazzed about the State Fair each year. I used to question why it was such a big deal. Now that I have had the joy to attend, I understand why. People put their heart and their soul into what they bring to the fair. It is a place learn about things you may not give a thought to in everyday life. It is place to meet new people from around your state. And it is place to indulge on a fried Snickers on a stick and not get judged by anyone as chocolate runs down your face. 

Damn that was good. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast featuring Dr. Maree Ferguson of Dietitian Connection

Today’s conversation is with Dr. Maree Ferguson, a visionary and leader in the field of dietetics who created Dietitian Connection for dietitians to feel supported along their professional journey.

I truly believe in being in the right place at the right time, which is exactly where I met Maree. Maree and I were doing a mini expo at the Nutrition Entrepreneurs DPG meeting at FNCE last year and I was so interested in the work she is doing. She has created an international resource to help dietitians live out their dreams in their careers with support and guidance. Her extensive education and work experience makes her the perfect leader of this great organization. Get to know Maree a little more and why Dietitian Connection might be an organization you want to be a part of.


Connect with Maree on the Dietitian Connection website, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Nosh Three. Weekly Inspiration. 

The Iowa State Fair never disappoints when it comes to inspiring me. Because I never really went to the fair as a child, I find it to be a great opportunity to spend the day and soak it all in. For the past three years, I have had the opportunity to be one of the judges of the Farm Bureau Cookout Contest. I am always excited for the food and I am always inspired by the cooks who show up and make such amazing creations with a lot of love. This year was no different. What inspires me the most is when each contestant tells me about their dish. They use such passion when they create the recipe and then the excitement of sharing it with me. It inspires me to be more excited about cooking food for people because I know it can be tasted. For a limited time you can get the 2018 Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest Recipes here. 

Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest
Official Iowa Farm Bureau Judges binder with my friends Brian, Don and Amanda. 

Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest
Chicken Bomb by Gene Petersen was filled with some spicy jalapeƱo goodness.

Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest
Veal Bison Burger by Anthony Phelps - had a nice kick of Anaheim Peppers and freshly grated parm

Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest
Grilled Pizza by Scott Degeneffe with pork and chicken thighs. 

Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest
He did 2 kinds: Mediterranean and BBQ. The pizza dough was made from scratch. 

Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken Breast by Drew Sallee.
Look at all that crispy bacon and you can't see the vegetable cream cheese and diced
mushrooms inside. 

Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest
Italian Fattie by Dusty Wilson - this was a new dish to me and it was delish!

Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest
Bacon Wrapped Chicken by Cadin Peciovsky (loved the cherry garnish touch)

Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest
Mac and Cheese Bacon Hamburgers by Kim Pepin (and a bonus chocolate cupcake from the grill). 

Iowa Farm Bureau Cookout Contest
Our Governor Kim Reynolds and the Iowa State Fair Queen presiding over the winners. 

Iowa State Fair John Deer Butter Tractor.
The special butter carving was 100 years of John Deer Tractors. 

Iowa State Fair Butter Cow.
A trip to the Iowa State Fair always means a trip to see the infamous Midwest Dairy Butter Cow. 

Iowa State Fair Largest Pumpkin Winner
Who knew a pumpkin could grow to be almost 800 pounds? Too bad it wasn't orange. 

Iowa State Fair Heifer judging
I also had to stop and see the Heifer judging...they look so pretty when they come to show. 

Iowa State Fair Ice Cream from the Dairy Barn
I ended the day with a couple scoops of vanilla and chocolate ice cream
from the Dairy Barn. I would call this year another success. 

Nosh Four. Weekly Music Playlist. 

I know Iowa does not seem like the most glamorous state to live in but I sure do like living here. Whenever I travel, I always look forward to coming home. Enjoy this weeks inspired by "Home" music playlist of the week on Apple Music and Spotify



Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

After all the delicious eats at the Iowa State Fair, I had to come back to reality and get a little food focused on nutrition. I am probably a little late to the game with these goodies, but Perfect Bars are pretty amazing, especially the Dark Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter. Why are they Perfect? This is why and is taken from their website:

"Over 20 nutrient-dense organic whole foods provide a good source of vitamins and minerals on-the-go. Plus, with ingredients such as kale, spinach, alfalfa and celery, you will finally be able to tell your mother that you’re eating your vegetables!"

I like that they are refrigerated, gives them a different taste and texture from other bars and they are very hearty. I tend to not get as hungry when I have these for a snack because of the protein and real ingredients. I highly suggest you give them a try if you are a bar person like me. 

What I Love Right Now:  Perfect Bars

~AE
*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!



1 comment: