7.25.2018

#WeeklyWisdom and Top 5 "No More, No Way" Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.

#WeeklyWisdom: Stop saying yes to shit you hate.
Do you say yes to things you really do not care for?

About 2 years ago, I decided I was not going to eat salmon anymore. I did not like it and I did not like the way society implies that a dietitian should like and eat salmon. This dietitian does not. As a younger dietitian, I thought I had to fit a certain profile of what was expected of me when I ate food. When I would dine out, that meant ordering the salmon and steamed broccoli instead of the big juicy steak and a loaded baked potato. It made me not want to dine out and especially not dine out with dietitians, who were also following the same mindset. I think back and wonder how many of us were miserable?

As I have grown older and wiser (ha), it not only applies to food but to everything I do in my life. I am not going to say yes to ANY situation I really do not want to be in. I am not going to attend an event I do not want go to, I am not going to be around humans who I do not want to be around and I am not going to say yes to anything that sucks the life out of me or makes me cranky at the end of the day. 

There is more to life than "salmon" and I plan on always going for the "big juicy steak."

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast featuring Registered Dietitian and Founder of Dietitian Institute, Amy Sowards

Today’s conversation is with Amy Sowards, a registered dietitian who is the founder and owner of the Dietitian Institute, intended for the dietitian looking to start their own business.

I was graciously introduced to Amy by Libby Rothschild when I was doing some research on CEU’s and Amy was extremely helpful. Then I realized I had done a webinar provided by Amy’s business and I knew I needed to have a conversation with her.  Amy is very honest about her path to owning a business and discovering her professional passion, because it wasn’t always easy or a direct journey. She is now passionate about helping other dietitians prevent those mistakes and guiding them in the right direction with her own personal experiences and expertise through trainings, free webinars and personal coaching.


Connect with Amy at her website Dietitian Institute and Instagram

Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

This past week I said "YES" to things I love to do. Funny how a lot of it revolves around delicious food. 
Easy To Make Foods For Teens Cooking Class

I had a couple of awesome cooking classes this week with teens and adults. I started off the week doing an easy summer cooking class with the teens from the South Side Library in Des Moines. We did some fun pizza wraps, smoothie bowls and chocolate chip cookie hummus. I think the kiddos were a little skeptical of all the veggies on the wrap and the beans in the hummus until they tried it. It is the best when I get kids to be brave and try something out of their comfort zone, even if they didn't like it, they tried it. I call that a win!

Gluten-Free Smart Chicken Buffalo Burger

The second cooking class this week was co-facilitated by my friend Stacey for Drake University. We were really excited because we added one of our favorite recipes to the menu:  Smart Chicken Buffalo Burger. I have shared this delight in a previous blog post. We mix it up and use a broccoli slaw instead of a cabbage slaw for the topping. We also love using the OPA Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Salad Dressing to lighten it up a little bit but not compromise the blue cheese creaminess and flavor. Seriously, go make this right now. Or this week. Just make it happen. 

Kind Snacks

After my cooking class on Thursday, I came home to this bundle of goodies. I actually came home and sat in my big comfy chair and opened the box. KIND Snacks are like my big comfy chair, always supportive and reliable. They truly make the best and most delicious snacks. It is also compelling how they support Registered Dietitians and keep creating foods we can stand behind. This box made me so happy because none of the snacks had chickory root in them, so I can eat them all!

Real Deal, Really Delicious Summer Garden Salad Recipe

In the summer, I do not get too crazy with gardening but I do like to plant a few items in pots around my patio. This year, I planted basil, chives and tomatoes. I tried to plant a mozzarella plant and avocado tree but it didn't pan out so well. So before I headed home for the weekend, I grabbed a package of Belgiosio Mozzarella Pearls, a couple of lovely avocados from California and this was dinner all weekend long. All I did was halve my cherry tomatoes, cut up my avocado, added 1/2 cup of the pearls, a lot of basil ribbons, and topped it with 1 tablespoon of olive oil that I blended with 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.  Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste. This is my trick and where all the magic happens: refrigerate for at least an hour before eating but not longer than 3 hours. Colors, textures and flavors blend, everything stays fresh and doesn't get mushy. Yum!

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

The name of this playlist says it all!  Find it on Apple Music and Spotify

No More No Way Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

I love this kid. My Godson Charlie and I are kindred spirits. We love wrestling. Buddy, I want a WWE backpack too. I can't wait to attend a live event with you one day. 

My Godson

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment