1.24.2018

Weekly Wisdom and Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.

Inspirational quote about distance. It let's you know who is worth keeping and who is worth letting go.

Ahhh that old saying, distance makes the heart grow fonder. Or makes you want to run away as fast as you can (I added that part). Either way, distance is a good way to measure what or who stays or goes. I for sure feel this with people, but I also feel it with things. As I am embracing my year two of less stuff, more life, I am more efficiently "letting go."

When it comes to people in your life, it is ok to let them go. You're not wishing them a bad life or harm, but you are letting them live their life and you live yours. This can be friends, people you have dated, spouses and even family members. If distance doesn't change the way you feel about your relationship, it is time. But those people who make your heartbeat when you are with them and without them, they are your people, they are your tribe. 

When it comes to things, it is the same. If you lost a clothing or accessory item, if you have a book sitting on a shelf collecting dust, if you left a dish at a family members home over the holidays and you haven't missed it, let it go. 

It is always ok to let them, it, that and this go.  Make your heart grow fonder and keep everything that makes your heart swell. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Promo photo of Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast with guest Sarah Dahms, RD2Be

Today I am reconnecting with my student side and having a conversation today with RD-to-Be,
Sarah Dahms.

You all know by now how much I love dietetic students and interns that I want to stay in touch with that time in my life and be a mentor going through all the crazy that comes along with the beginnings of our profession. Sarah and I met through Instagram and I admire her for all she does as a busy RD-to-Be. She is VERY active in the student component of the Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, which is something that wasn’t even on my radar as a student. She supports and connects students all over the state and helps other RD’s-to-Be obtain opportunities to help them with their future.


Connect with Sarah on Instagram @sarahdahms or email

Nosh Three. Week in Review. 
Photo of magazine feature
While I was attending the annual Food and Nutrition Expo this past November in Chicago, I was networking with a group of like-minded dietitians and met Dr. Maree Ferguson who started Dietitian Connection in Australia and New Zealand. With a network of over 6,000 professionals,  DC was created to provide resources to inspire and empower dietitians to realize their professional dreams.  There are resources for students, new grads, business owners and clinical dietitians through webinars, podcasts, conferences and events, and a print and digital magazine, Infuse. I am beyond thrilled to have been featured among many other wonderful podcasts, including the Dietitian Connection Podcast (which features Dietitians doing amazing things in their practice) in the Infuse December issue.

Photo of best friends

Distance takes me away from a few people I love to death and this is one of them!  This week, I got some very important visits from some very important people in my life. Carlena came to see me this week and it was so fun to see her on a Tuesday!  Life keeps both of us very busy. She has two kids, a husband and a scrunchy face pug to take care of, so it was super sweet for her to come to Des Moines. We had lunch and caught up on life and then of course, we headed out for some fun. 

Happy Hour Menu and photo of Martini with olives

I had not been to happy hour at Django in downtown Des Moines and my friends Kevin and Ryan said it was something we had to do because they are temporarily closing to find a new location. Most importantly, they have raw oysters, which is something I have come accustomed to liking and to get fresh ones in Des Moines made it a must do. The boys joined us for this deliciously large platter. 

Photo of raw oysters on ice

Photo of raw oysters on a plate with Martini

Women eating a raw oyster

This was also Carlena's first time having oysters so we had to document the occasion with photos and dirty martinis. We had a fun night together, which is always sweet but always too short. 

Photo of computer, microphone and whiskey on the rocks.

 After Carlena left, I spent the day getting caught up on podcast as well as having a few more amazing conversations with new friends. My last podcast of the day warranted a whiskey on the rocks and a Steven Tyler scarf nod on my mic. 

The week was quickly coming to close and it was a crazy one but I was excited because my momma was coming to visit. The weather has put off her visiting for the last couple of weeks and finally there was going to be a break in the winter weather. I was also excited for her and I to go to our favorite pizza spot in Des Moines, Noah's Ark Ristorante

Photo of menu and bread

Noah's Ark Ristorante has been in Des Moines since 1946, so it is exactly a place my Mom and I love. When I lived in Omaha, we always hit up all the older Italian restaurants. Pizza and Chicken Parmesan have always been my favorites at these type of places. At Noah's they start your meals off with these scrumptious garlic Love Knots.  We each ordered a Sam Adams and our pizza. 

Photo of sausage and roasted red pepper pizza

Mom choose our pie tonight and it was Italian Sausage (that they make in house) and roasted red peppers. This may be my new favorite. The crust is so thin and crispy, the sausage was perfectly seasoned with just the right amount of fennel and the roasted red peppers were sweet. Seriously, THE BEST pizza in Des Moines. 

Photo of desserts tiramisu and cheesecake in to go containers

We were stuffed but we had never tried their dessert and brought home Tiramisu and red raspberry cheesecake. In between we hit up Target and Marshalls for some late evening shopping and realized Friday night is a great night to avoid the crowds. When we got home, we got cozy on the couch and enjoyed our desserts. I wanted to get a photo of us sitting together but I forgot. I did get a good photo of mom sleeping on the couch, but I don't think she would appreciate me sharing that one (hee hee). 

Cat laying in bed

The weekend kind of took a turn with Lil g still struggling with being sick. Last week, I took her in and they thought she had a bladder infection. They gave her antibiotics and she appeared to be getting better. Then when Mom was here, I noticed she had blood in her urine and was not eating or drinking a lot. Mom so graciously went and got pain medicine for her while I was at work and the rest of the weekend was a little stressful. I feel so bad for my sweet Lil g. Hopefully this week a trip back to the vet will help us get some answers and get her on the road to recovery. Please send good kitty vibes!

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

Distance amongst friends and the people I love inspired my playlist this week. No matter where I go,  these people are worth keeping!!! Find the playlist on Apple Music and Spotify. 

Photo of music playlist

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now.

Have you every had kringla?  Oh my goodness!  Seriously. This Swedish delight is the softest most delicious treat I have had in a long time. And guess who left me some goodies this week?  That's right, Stacey!  Another one of her down right delicious creations was so sweetly found on my desk last week. Kringla is a Scandinavian pastry, a Nordic variety of pretzels. The word kringla means ring or circle and they are usually in the shape of a pretzel. Stacey took a twist on hers and is trying out some hearts for Valentines Day. Either way, I got the best of both worlds with pretzels and hearts. 

I think I may have found a new sweet treat I might have to make myself. I wonder if she will share her recipe...

Photo of Kringla shaped into knots and hearts

~AE

No comments:

Post a Comment