7.19.2017

Weekly Wisdom and Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nutrition Nosh One. Wisdom.

Inspirational Question

When was the last time? 
Are you creating "first" times in your life?

Let's face it, nothing is like our adolescence when we have a plethora of first times. Many of those experiences happen, not by choice but by chance. Many of those experiences are great and many of them are not. All of them are part of our life journey and it should not stop as we advance in age. 

Nothing good ever came from comfort zones and not having more first times. 

Think back to a memorable first time. There is no feeling like something happening you have not experienced before. It's only occurs if you put yourself out there. Will you do it again or not?

 Is there something you have always wanted to do?  Is there a place you want to visit?  Is there a person you want to meet? Is there a food you want to try?  Is there a song you want to write? Is there a hobby you want to explore? Is there a goal you want to accomplish?  

Don't you want to know?
  
Nutrition Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast, Amber Pankonin/Stirlist

My conversation today is with Registered Dietitian Amber Pankonin.

My conversation today is with one of my favorite boss ladies. She owns StirList and is known as RD Amber in our social media world. Amber is passionate about food, nutrition science and agriculture as a Nutrition & Agriculture Communications Consultant and adjunct instructor. In her bio she writes, “when I grow up, I’d like to be a photographer or maybe a backup dancer because Amber has always had a creative side. She initially was a music major in college. Amber and I talk about her non-traditional route to dietetics and her first jobs, how she became inspired to own her own business, recipe development and how important the art of communication is for dietitians.


Connect with Amber:  amber@stirlist.com | stirlist.com

Nutrition Nosh Three. Week in Review.

I was all about trying new restaurants this past week. FIRST TIME FOOD!  I am not sure there is anything better than that? 

Goldfinch Restaurant Des Moines

My first time adventure to Goldfinch Restaurant did not disappoint. Goldfinch is a contemporary Mexican-South American dining experience in downtown Des Moines. It is beautiful on the inside. I love the colors of orange/rust and hues of blue/navy with an open and airy feeling. 

Goldfinch Restaurant Guacamole

Goldfinch Restaurant Seasonal Salad

Goldfinch partners with Sunstead Farms in my little hometown of Waukee, Iowa to create a menu highlighting dishes prepared with seasonally inspired ingredients with Iowa-based partners such as The Cheese Shop, La Quercia, La Mie Bakery, Milton Creamery, Picket Fence CreameryRinehart's Family Farm and Wilson's Orchard.  The freshly made-to-order guac was a must for me because I have heard wonderful things about the flavors, ability to add fresh vegetables to my order and the delicious freshly made tortilla chips. I got a half order for myself so I could enjoy the signature Goldfinch that had me at Watermelon Radish. Yum! I will be going back to try some other menu items catching my eye like the Lobster Mac and Cheese or the Baked Cheesy Kale Dip. Who wants to join me? I am always looking for a date!

Ronco EZ Rotisserie Review

My next "first time" of the week was using a Ronco EZ Rotisserie.  Set it and forget it!  I agreed to do a product review on this handy kitchen tool. I love rotisserie chicken and the color red, so it was hard to pass up the opportunity. What I didn't realize is I would have to buy a whole chicken, touch it and maneuver it to be cooked in the rotisserie. I know. I am ridiculous but touching raw meat is not really my thing, so I gloved up and made it happen. I purchased my favorite chicken in the world, a Smart Chicken Whole Chicken, rubbed it with some lemon zest, cracked black pepper, garlic powder, fresh thyme and a little sea salt (absolutely no recipe, just mixed it all together an rubbed it in). I tied it up with my stellar twine skills and skewered it onto the rotisserie. 

Rotisserie Smart Chicken

Walla!  Check out this bad boy! Beauteous and friggin delicious! It kept its moisture perfectly and once it was in the machine, I didn't have to do a thing!  It comes with gloves so I didn't burn the shit out of myself (which is a common Anne in the kitchen issue), a carving stand and a rack to use for other types of food. Would I used this all the time?  No. But I did like the ease of the cooking process, minimal buttons and options, simple directions and the taste of the food. If it just came with a human to handle the "touching the raw meat" part of the cooking process, I might use it more, but for now, my oven will do the trick. 

St. Kilda Cafe and Bakery Des Moines

First time #3 of the week was a dining stop at St. Kilda Cafe and Bakery, a new restaurant in an up and coming neighborhood in downtown Des Moines. Des Moines is booming with new construction in their downtown area with tons of new hip and very cool condos/lofts and unique residences. I think Des Moines is such a cool city and I really do love living here. St. Kilda was buzzing with all the cool kids (aka millennials) living in the hood and the decor has a mid-century bright, white and full of light modern feel. It is named after a beach community in Melbourne, Australia where the owner, Alexander Hall, used to live and work.  It is a full-service Australian cafe and bakery with healthy eats, indulgent freshly made bakery items, artisanal coffee drinks and one of the best ice teas I have ever had. 

St. Kilda Avocado Toast

I was debating between salad (Tomato and Burrata Salad was speaking to me), a Basil Parmesan Scone or the Avocado Toast, which I chose the latter and added a scrambled egg and bacon.  Avocado toast is not a ground-breaking dish, but it was goooodd. Very light and not covered in oil or butter. My next visit will be extremely carb and caffeine friendly, hello Banana Pain Perdu and espresso. Oh and did I mention they have cocktails too?  Very dietitian approved!

Nutrition Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

I needed some new jams to try new things with this week, because I also am trying out some new strength training workouts to get buff this summer. Enjoy my new beats!

iTunes Workout Playlist of the Week

Nutrition Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Flowers

I love these pretty flowers in my kitchen right now. 

Mocu Health Multivitamin Mix

Every morning I have a nutrition-rich smoothie/shake and I am very excited to toss my multivitamin pill and use this Whole Food Multivitamin Mix by Mocu Health. Now I can get my vitamins and minerals from food and not some crazy pill that I have no idea what is even really in it. They customize this blend with a combination of nutrient dense foods like herbs, fruits and green tea to get 100% of most vitamins/minerals in 1/4 tsp added to my shake in the morning. This 90-day supply would be a great first-time thing to try in your daily routine and if you visit Mocu Health you can get 20% off your order by entering in the code Anne20. I HIGHLY recommend it and I know you will love it as much as I do. 

Get out there and experience something for the FIRST TIME!

~AE









No comments:

Post a Comment