6.21.2017

Top 5 Nutrition Noshes and Weekly Wisdom

Nutrition Nosh One. Wisdom. 

Inspiration Quote Julia Childs about Butter and Cream

As a Registered Dietitian, I was always worried about being judged. Judged by my peers, my family and my patients/clients by my weight, what I ate and my nutrition, the groceries I bought and how and what I cooked. I was worried about dining out and eating 3-4 slices of pizza, followed by a (or a couple) frosty Coors Light. I was worried about how my friends would react when I ordered Key Lime Pie as an appetizer.  By realizing I did not want to be judged and I did not want to worry about being human, I finally knew what it was like for my patients and clients. 

Food should not make you feel judged, sad or embarrassed. We have enough in our lives taking up mind space and food should not be one of them!  I am not the least bit afraid of cream or butter.  I will eat both, without one bit of hesitation. Want to know why? The recipes I make with these 2 ingredients, take me right back to very special memories of family, friends and events occurring in my life. And that brings me joy. 

NOW is the time to for you and for everyone to experience the joy in eating!

Nutrition Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 


My conversation today is with Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Christina Ferroli

This spring, I had my first and very fast trip to Indianapolis, Indiana where I had the joy to meet some wonderful dietitians with the Indiana Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Christina, so graciously took time out of her busy day to sit down with me and share her story of passion and purpose, while also serving as the president of the Indiana Academy. Christina is dietitian who thrives on experiences. She has worked with Purdue Extension for over 20 years. She enjoys working with the aging population, creating opportunities for other registered dietitians, has found her niche with grant writing (and is a great resource for anyone out there needing help in this area) and has a zest for adventure and food, stemming from her family roots in Italy.

Please click here to enjoy my conversation with Christina and connect with Christina: ferroli@purdue.edu

Nutrition Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

Iowa State Dietetic Intern Mark Phillips

This week was pretty awesome!  I had the joy to meet and work with Mark, dietetic intern with Iowa State University. When I got his assignment to work with me, I recognized the name and I just couldn't quite put it all together of where I knew him from. Then, the minute I saw him I knew!  He did a commercial for the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics on sports nutrition.  
Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Sports Nutrition Commercial

I also had the joy of being a guest of my friend and previous podcast guest, Chef Andrew for National Dairy Month. Check out his video below or click here and make sure to follow him on Facebook @ChefAndrewKintigh. His recipes are beyond delicious. All of them, especially the ones made with butter and cream. 


Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Yogurt Crunch Cone
Serves 1

All you need:
1 (4oz) cup Activia vanilla yogurt
1 tbsp Hy-Vee powdered peanut butter
1 jumbo ice cream cone
1 tbsp Hy-Vee chopped walnuts, divided
3 Hy-Vee pretzel twists, divided
2 tsp Hy-Vee mini chocolate chips, divided
1/4 of a banana, sliced into 8 pieces, divided

All you do:
  1. Open vanilla yogurt and add powdered peanut butter. Slowly stir with a spoon until fully combined.
  2. Place half the yogurt in the bottom of the ice cream cone.
  3. Add 1/2 tablespoon chopped walnuts, 1 broken pretzel twist, 1 teaspoon mini chocolate chips and 4 slices banana.
  4. Top with remaining yogurt, ½ tablespoon chopped walnuts, 2 pretzel twists, 1 teaspoon mini chocolate chips and 4 slices banana

Recipe courtesy of Chef Andrew and Hy-Vee

It was about mid week, I realized I WAS GOING TO BE HOME THE WHOLE WEEK and WEEKEND!  Insert shock and awe!  I just love when I have a week to be "normal" (whatever that definition is). I had the chance to catch up with a dear friend who has just recently began planning her wedding and get some great workouts in. I was very productive and got caught up on good life in Waukee, Iowa. This is also known as sleeping in, watching Netflix and eating a bad-ass brunchie charcuterie plate. 

Charcuterie Plate with Cheese, Crackers, Peppers, Proscuitto and Hummus

When I did get out of my Anne cave, I had the joy of seeing a double rainbow.  It was the perfect ending to a great week of relaxing. 

Double Rainbow

Nutrition Nosh Four:  Workout Playlist of Week

I have not allowed time with my tribe lately, so in the next couple weeks I am making it a point to re-connect. When was the last time you got to spend some quality time with your favorite people?


iTunes Music Workout Playlist

Nutrition Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Daelmans Stroopwafels

In a previous post, I shared my love for Daelmans Stroopwafels. I tagged them on Facebook with my post and I was so surprised to see them share my post with the Stroopwafel world. I also got this lovely package from the distributor in the United States with a sweet note and the tastiest samples in the land!  I had no idea there was a new chocolate caramel flavor. Ohhhh my goodness! I had no idea what I was missing! I think I was making a cup of tea at the same time I was opening the package so I did not have to wait long to dig in. 

Daelmans Stroopwafels

After some further gratitude and conversation with Tom Daly, CEO of The Brand Passport and distributor of Daelmans Stroopwafels, I am so excited get the opportunity to share these tasty treats in my nutrition noshes and with my podcast guests. This is why I share with others the things I love. It is something I eat that brings me joy and I want to share this kind of joyful eating with my guests. They are baked with care, using only natural ingredients, and containing no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or trans-fat. Delicious straight from the package, they evolve into a scrumptious, sweet and melty treat when placed atop your hot cup for about two minutes, allowing the heat to warm the biscuit, soften the caramel, and release the natural aroma of cinnamon and real Bourbon vanilla. They are available in three varieties – caramel, honey, and now chocolate-caramel. Make sure to follow them on Facebook and Twitter. There are a lot of drool worthy pictures and don't be surprised if I share pictures of me joyfully eating them too!

~AE






No comments:

Post a Comment