3.29.2017

5 Nutrition Noshes and Minimalism Wisdom Wednesday

Nosh One. Wisdom.


I am always searching for ways to experience and live a meaningful life. There should be more thought to WHY we focus on owning more things such as buying a bigger house, owning more pieces of clothing, having the newest technology, aimlessly wandering around a store and buying unnecessary things. There is always a way to accumulate more things without ever filling "the void." If you take a step back and ask yourself if an item is something you actually need or if it is something you just want, then you can better understand why you might be trying to filling an empty space inside yourself with material things. What is missing in your life that a bag from Target cannot fill?  Heal your holes so you can start living a life full of experiences and intention. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation.


The Story, Journey and Passion of Lucille Beseler, MS, RDN, LDN, CDE

My conversation today is with Registered Dietitian Lucille Beseler who graciously took time out of her busy schedule to meet with me on a Sunday afternoon. She is a private practice registered dietitian, author and the owner of Family Nutrition Center of South Florida. She has a passion for cooking and painting beautiful flowers. In her spare time, she currently is the President of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and has spent the last year inspiring other registered dietitians for the next century of our amazing profession and and our national organization. During our candid and down to earth conversation, she shares great advice for all dietitians on practicing, advocacy, volunteering, business and just being a great registered dietitian.



Nosh Three. Week in Review.

This past week has been all about the little but big things. Acts of kindness, out of no where with much meaning and intention.


 A couple of weeks ago, I did a presentation for a local Army Reserve unit in Des Moines for around 100 soldiers. It was a great opportunity to spend time sharing healthy nutrition messages and to offer my services for those serving our country.  Captain Jeremy Williams stopped into my office and presented this to me this past week. I am still speechless.


My sweet and sassy godson Charlie celebrated his birthday and the Big 4! There is something pretty  wonderful about a child and their birthday cake.  My sister celebrated her birthday this week, she would have been 42. Her birthday cake and everyone singing to always made her so happy, I can see her sweet face just thinking about it. I miss celebrating her special day with her and I will always sing her Happy Birthday on her special day. Happy Birthday Kate! 


I have this amazing client that has become a friend and she surprises me on occasion with something sweet and thoughtful. I embraced her message of "Happy Spring and Happy Everything."  I have been sharing her lovely message to as many people as I can. 

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week.

I took a little twist with my playlist this week and opted for a more minimalistic approach to the music. I found music I liked without words to keep me focused on being in the moment of being physically active and continue my doing things with intention. I was shocked how I focused more on proper form during my strength training. 



Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now.


I have always liked something sweet after dinner. When I lived with my parents, it was part of the meal and was just enough to curb my sweet tooth. My mom would make baked apples and they were always so delicious. All she would do is bake the apples with cinnamon and serve them warm. It was so yummy. I kind of forgot how much I enjoyed them until this week. After a lovely dinner with a friend, I could smell cinnamon in the air. It quickly reminded me of home. 

This dessert is so simple to make and have big flavor and a lot of healthy! 

1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. 
2. Slice and cube your favorite apple, averaging 1 whole apple per person (4 people, 4 apples!)
3. Placed the sliced apples into the oven safe dish
4. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon, I recommend 1/2 teaspoon per apple
5. Add a little water to the dish. For 2 apples add 1/4 cup, for 4 apples add 1/2 cup. 
6. Bake for 10 minutes and stir so the water and cinnamon redistribute onto the apples
7. Bake for an additional 10 minutes and check for tenderness to your liking. 
8. Before serving, mix the apples with the cinnamon syrup at the bottom of the dish. Top with  a splash toasted oatmeal or a dollop of vanilla greek yogurt. 

~AE


No comments:

Post a Comment