11.11.2014

Veterans Day


Each year, my favorite veteran, my dad, writes something special for Veterans Day to give during the special mass my hometown community has. Each year, I am so touched by his words and so thankful and proud this man is my father.  This year he remembers a special man in his life and in mine. I just wanted to share his words and thoughts with you on this Veterans Day. 


VETERAN'S DAY, 2014

 

Veterans Day honors men and women who have served in the United States armed forces.  Take a moment to remember the sacrifices of brave men and women who have valiantly fought to make America the greatest nation on earth.  We are gathered here at St Mary's church to honor all veterans, living and dead, from this community and our nation with this holy mass.                                                                                                

Since we last celebrated Veterans day, we lost one of our Legion members. In your prayers today, please remember Carol Herbst, a veteran who is no longer with us.  Carol was a member of the United States Army, when she met a young soldier from Panamamarried him and became a life time member of this church and community         

This day floods my mind with the memory of many veterans from my service days, especially my friend Zip.  He was a B-17 crew member during WWII, Flying bombing missions into Germany.  Zip would not talk much about the war, but after a couple of cocktails he would sometimes share.  On 8th Air Force mission to the ball barring factories in Germany. The 8th Air Force lost 60 B-17 Bombers that day, known as Black Thursday.  From his squadron, he was on the only aircraft to get back to England.  He told me that he promised God that he would never use his name in vainagain.  During all of the years I knew him, I heard a lot of da-gum-its, but no more.  Zip was a very kind and generous man, I know that he has now found peace with the Lord in heaven.

Almighty God, you inspired men to establish this great nation.  You stirred men to hope and to dream for a land of freedom.  We praise you for this great nation. Lord, today we seek to honor your sons and daughters who have served or who are serving our country.  We are reminded that because of their service we can live free.  We pray in Jesus' name, Lord hear our prayers.


~Robert L. Huebert

CMSgt, Retired, United States Air Force 

 

                                       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment