1.29.2013

My Freezer

This week, I have opened my freezer up for you. Again, probably as exciting as my refrigerator. But there is always food in there for a quick meal or delicious leftovers from a meal I slaved away on earlier in the month.

The freezer is a great place that I keep frozen stir fry veggie mixes, a variety of fresh protein choices (love Smart Chicken, Laura's Lean Beef, farm raised salmon, wild gulf shrimp), and healthy nuts/seeds like almonds, walnuts, pistachios and flax seed. I also always keep my Gourmet Garden Herbs there during winter months when fresh is  not readily available and just dip the tube in warm water, use and toss back in the freezer.  My large container of fresh spinach is there as well for my morning smoothie and I usually have a few Amy's Light and Lean frozen meals for "in-case of emergency" meals.

I wanted to share my dinner recipe that I made this evening, one of my favorites and much of the ingredients came from the freezer.

Apricot-Stuffed Chicken

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
4 ounces goat cheese
3 tablespoons chopped white onions
1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden Parsley
4 tablespoons sliced almonds
1/2 cup ground golden flax seed
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs

Sauce
1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh or dried apricot, chopped
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sugar-free apricot jam

Directions:
Flatten chicken breasts to uniform thickness and rinse well with water, keeping slightly wet to roll in breadcrumb mixture.

Combine apricots,onion, goat cheese and parsley.

Place almonds in a food processor until consistency of breadcrumbs. Mix almonds with flax seed and panko breadcrumbs.

Divide apricot mixture between chicken breasts; roll up, dredge in the breadcrumb mixture and secure with toothpicks.

Bake in pre-heated 350 oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until done.

Mix together yogurt, apricots, mustard and jam.

Heat until warm.

Spoon warm apricot-mustard sauce over each breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment