8.02.2011

The Need to Screen

Before I became a dietitian with Hy-Vee, I worked at Midwest Dermatology in Omaha for about 11 years. I started there in college, when I still loved tanning beds, SPF 4 seemed really high and I couldn't wait for week long trips to tropical islands. Dr. L and Dr. F, who were my "Derm Dads" always showed a little concern for my sun-worshipping ways. Luckily, I learned from the burn and wanted to show my aging skin some love.

I embraced sunscreen, hats and less sunny vacations. I also embraced eating foods that can work as sunscreen from the inside out. Highly pigmented foods naturally help ward off the damaging effects of the sun, all year round.

People who eat foods like watermelon, grapefruits, peaches, broccoli, spinach, dark chocolate, and tomatoes (especially canned for high doses of lycopene) and who drink green and black tea, can help their bodies produce natural sunscreen.

Next time you're at the grocery store, pick up some SPF 30 (minimum per my Derm Dads) and some delicious anti-oxidant rich, anti-aging, in-season produce. Who needs Botox?

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment