5.16.2011

Have Your Had An Eye Health Check?

Have you given thought to the current health or future health of your eyes recently? Me either. (Gasps! I know, bad dietitian)

In, fortunately, have had decent eye health so far. I am the only one in my immediate family that does not have glasses (yet) BUT I do have many eye health issue that run in my family; glaucoma, Adult Macular Degeneration (AMD), and cataracts.
I gave myself a eye nutrition check-up and I am not really sure I passed. I do well at getting in my fruit and vegetable servings, I try to wear sunglasses at all times my eyes are exposed to the sun, and I take a multivitamin every day. However, my everyday vegetable intake does not include dark leafy greens and carrots. Why are these so important?

Vitamin A (which helps with night vision) and Lutein. Lutein is antioxidant carotenoid that acts as sunglasses for the inside of your eyes. We do not get enough Lutein from our diets, so we need to supplement this antioxidant. Everyone needs 10 mg/day to keep their eyes healthy. The foods that provide this are cooked spinach and kale at 22 gm per serving.

So, ready for your check-up? I will be happy to "see" you anytime!
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment