12.12.2018

#WeeklyWisdom and Top 5 "To the Beach' Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One.

Beach (n):  Place where salt doesn't raise your blood pressure.

Where do you like to go when you need a little TLC and time for yourself?

My first choice (and easiest to get to) is my big comfy white chair.  My second choice will always be the beach. I don't care where, as long as there is sand between my toes, sun on my skin, the smell of salt in the air and the therapeutic sounds of waves.  I am in a total state of bliss. It is even better when shared with my heartbeats because I am getting to share my happiest place with people I love. 

In reality, we can really take ourselves to our favorite place whenever we need it by indulging yourself in a few mindful minutes a day. Closing your eyes, going to that place and just doing some deep breathing for 1 minute at least 3 times a day. This will help you increase oxygen in the body, slowing down your heart rate and inducing the feelings of calmness and relaxation. Exactly what happens to me when I am at the beach and breathing normally. 

Someday, I will own a tiny house, ok small house on the beach.  Until then, I will schedule my bi-annual beach getaways and my mini getaways in my head during the day. 


Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast featuring Registered Dietitian and owner of Meal Squeeze, Tonya Huenink

Today’s conversation is with Tonya Huenink, a registered dietitian who has worked in all areas of dietetics and has started her own meal planning business called Meal Squeeze.

Tonya is native to my favorite state of Iowa and at one point worked for the same company as I did. Throughout her adventures as a Registered Dietitian, she has worked in many different areas of dietetics including clinical, outpatient, food service and school nutrition. Tonya has developed a passion over the years for equipping families of all sizes to sit down for a balanced meal together which has lead to her creating her own business. Not only is this meal planning service great for families but it is also great for other registered dietitians to use with their own clients. Tonya shares some great insight of how she created her business, marketing and a few business tools she has discovered along the way.


Connect with Tonya on her Meal Squeeze Website, Facebook, and Instagram

Nosh Three. Weekly #Hellyeah.

Right after had I the joy to speak at the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting, I whisked away for quick mini-beach vacation with my heartbeat Brenda and her significant other Jason. There were a few changes in the flight situation right before I left, but we got it figured out and we were going to make the most out of our time away. This was my first trip to Panama City Beach, Florida and it was beautiful! We stayed in the presidential suite of their timeshare and had some awesome views. 

Panama City Beach, Florida

Bestie time in Panama City Beach, Florida

The weather was a little chilly (which I laugh now because 60 degrees seems tropical as it is 27 degrees here in Iowa) but the minute we got there we dumped our bags and we headed to the beach. 

Sunset in Panama City Beach, Florida

Tropical cocktails for a beach vacation

The sand is so white and soft, it is amazing. There were only a few other people out, so it was like having it all to ourselves. There was a great little place to have a tropical drink and some eats right by the hotel that we could walk to, Sharky's Beachfront Restaurant

Sunset

We didn't care how chilly it was, we wanted to sit outside, sip a cocktail and watch the sunset. My favorite quote from the weekend was from Brenda:  "Some people like sunrises, I like sunsets." I think I would have to agree. A sunset it the perfect way to end an amazing day. 

Raw Oysters Sharky's Beachfront Restaurant

As far as food, I had 2 missions:  eat raw oysters and as much key lime pie as possible. Thank goodness Sharky's came through on both. I started with my raw oysters and Brenda was a total sport to try them. 

Traditional Baked Oysters Sharky's Beachfront Restaurant

I also got some baked ones, which I really enjoyed too. These reminded me of the smoked oysters we would eat at home. My Dad would get cans of smoked oysters and as a treat on a weekend, we would eat them with saltines. It might sound a little crazy, but don't knock it until you try it. These had Parmesan baked on top and were perfect on top of a saltine. 

Key Lime Pie Sharky's Beachfront Restaurant

And of course, the key lime pie finisher. Pure yum!

Morning coffee and the ocean, priceless

The next day, it was going to be a lot warmer, so we were ready for some beach time adventures. But first, coffee. 

Panama City Beach, Florida

And then brunch...

The Donut Hole, Inlet Beach, Florida

Which took us to our favorite place, The Donut Hole

The Donut Hole, Inlet Beach, Florida

The atmosphere just radiates brunch. It is light and airy and smells of sweet yummy goodness tickle your nose the minute you walk in. If there is a wait, you can play yard games or sit and relax outside. We got there at the perfect time with barely a wait. 

The Donut Hole, Inlet Beach, Florida

Right when you walk in is the donut and pastry madness. At that time, I wanted one of each. 

The Donut Hole, Inlet Beach, Florida

Then there was the cake case. Dead stop. Cheesecakes, layer cakes, brownies, all of the goodies you could want. All made in-house, so again, how do you choose?

The Donut Hole, Inlet Beach, Florida

The Donut Hole, Inlet Beach, Florida

The Donut Hole, Inlet Beach, Florida

They have an extensive menu from breakfast items, to sandwiches and salads. It was very hard to choose but I think the "Diet" Plate seemed like the only logical choice for this Dietitian. It seriously was everything I loved about brunch in one dish. 

The Diet Plate at The Donut Hole, Inlet Beach, Florida

I will take another please!  Jason got the same thing and I think I ate more than he did, almost cleaned my plate. 

Small Chocolate Chip Pancake at The Donut Hole, Inlet Beach, Florida

Brenda ordered the chocolate chip pancakes and of course I had to try these too. This was a short stack and were stellar. 

Seaside, Florida

We then drove along the ocean and stopped a few places, including the cute little town of Seaside for a drink and a little shopping. The views are what I channel when I take my mini breathing breaks throughout the day. I definitely want to go back here when we have more time. Highly recommend as a great place to go on your Florida vacation. 

Key Lime Pie at Andy's Flour Power Cafe and Bakery Panama City Beach, Florida.

And of course I had to end the night with my to-go key lime pie from The Donut Hole. 

Key Lime Martini at Andy's Flour Power Cafe and Bakery Panama City Beach, Florida.

The last day started out with more key lime pie. I started the morning (ha, yes the morning) with a key lime martini at Andy's Flour Power Cafe & Bakery oh and we had brunch too but this was the most delicious part of the meal in my eyes. I am so mad I didn't get their key lime pie because Jason did and said it was awesome. Next time Andy, I am coming for ya!

Another check off the bucket list in Panama City, Florida with my Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics shirt

We went on a little walking tour of Panama City Beach. I think what I like most about it, is it is not a city with a lot of hustle and bustle this time of year. It was a little chilly but I enjoyed the fact we had the beach to ourselves and we didn't have to fight any crowds while we were there. I am looking forward to another trip back for more sun, beach, ocean, oysters and key lime pie. 

Nosh Four. Weekly Soundtrack. 

PCB Weekly Soundtrack on AppleMusic and Spotify.
PCB Weekly Soundtrack is available on Apple Music and Spotify. 

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

Cake by the ocean, Panama City Beach, Florida

What I loved the most about this trip is our evening on the beach, watching the sunset, feeling the sand in our toes and the water on our feet. We chatted for hours and had cake by the ocean. There is nothing more precious than time with people you love. Those are moments you never get back but will live on forever. Brenda and I have started a new thing, so I will be sharing many more "cake by the ocean" adventures we will be having. 

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!



No comments:

Post a Comment