7.11.2018

#WeeklyWisdom and Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.
#WeeklyWisdom:  I Think I'm Starting To Lose My Mind. But As Long As I Keep The Part That Knows Where Food Is, I Thin
Do you ever have those days where you feel you might be losing your mind a bit?

As I was leaving the gym this week, I walked into the parking lot and got in my car to go home. Except the seat was really far back and those were not my floor mats.  It was not my car. My car was across the parking lot, where I had parked it less than 60 minutes ago. What the what?  Lately, random things like this seem to happen more often. I have worn my underwear inside out and on backwards, twice, in the past six months, I have forgotten to brush my teeth and put on deodorant before work, I have even forgot to close my garage door before I went to bed. 

Before I head off to the extreme of diagnosing myself of a multitude of diseases I may have, I had to stop and take a minute to assess why these things have been happening lately. What else is going on in my world when other simple daily tasks are taking the backseat?  I believe it all comes down to balance. I have not been balanced in what I am doing between home and work and this is how a wake up call manifests itself in my life. Doing silly things I would not normally do. So today, I consider getting in the wrong car my wake up call to work a little harder on balancing all the goings on in the day to day. 

And that I may need to play Words With Friends a little more...just in case. 

 Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast featuring Clinical Dietitian Mitch Zandes

Today’s conversation is with Mitch Zandes, a registered clinical dietitian who has an interesting journey to dietetics and who has a goal of being the smartest dietitian that ever was.

There are some humans you come across and just know you instantly like. Mitch is one of those dietitians who caught my eye with his passion for discussing nutrition research and creating conversations in a unique way on social media. During our conversation, Mitch gets very personal about his journey to dietetics and how his life has changed dramatically over the past six years. After listening to this conversation, you will understand why he wants to keep gaining as much knowledge as possible in dietetics, how he uses social media to grow his expertise, and how I would want him to be my dietitian in the hospital.

Connect with Mitch by email and following him on Instagram 

Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

23 and Me

If you remember, I did 23 and Me recently and I did the health and ancestry tests. I got my results a few months ago and really didn't read any of them until last week. Which is probably why I have memory loss on my mind. I know many people do not take these test seriously, but it got me thinking about my ancestry, which is really great to know more about. It got me to think about my health a little more and it got me wondering if this is just a big scheme to access everyone's DNA to make the most perfect human being?  I mean it could happen right?

Part of the health test includes your markers or traits for developing certain diseases. They do caution you prior to opening up these results that it is not a definite diagnosis and you should always consult your MD. Out of the major tests, I discovered I have 2 traits, one from my Mom and Dad for adult-Onset Alzheimer's. Now do you understand why I think I am losing it? According to statistics, I have a 65% higher risk of developing it at age 85 than other humans who do not have either of these traits. In my head, that is pretty good odds. So, I am in dementia prevention mode. First on the list is getting at least 7 hours of sleep because lack of sleep is one of the leading causes of dementia. Secondly, I am really examining the food I am eating and the things I am exposing myself too. One of those being aluminum and trying to decrease my exposure. Third, I am working on being more consistent with mediation to decrease my brain fog and stress with the Headspace app. I have totally gotten away from this ritual and it has been added back. I would love to know if anyone else is working on their brain health and prevention of memory loss. Email me!  anneelizabethrd@gmail.com

Dietitian Pick of the Month:  Regular Girl Fiber

What I did remember this week is that I had a TV segment on KCCI Sunday morning and I got to talk one of my other favorite topics, probiotics, prebiotics and our Dietitian Pick of the Month at Hy-Vee, Regular Girl. I like Regular girl because it provides all the good GI stuff in one powder and the powder is Sunfiber, which has great research on its many health benefits. According to the Regular Girl website the product contains 5 grams of prebiotic fiber (Sunfiber®). It is an all natural truly regulating soluble dietary fiber derived from the guar bean that has an optimal gut transit time.* Sunfiber was awarded Grade A Fiber Consensus Recommendation and a Level 1 Evidence Recommendation (Clinical Nutrition Supplements). In addition to the numerous benefits of Sunfiber, it also acts as the perfect food source for the probiotics in Regular Girl as well as increasing the helpful bacteria and decreasing the harmful bacteria already within our system. It is great for people with GI issues, IBS/IBD or those on a Low FODMAP diet. It mixes in well with food and beverages you are already consuming and can assist with lowering cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugars. 

Maple Spiked Chocolate Hummus with Sea Salt Recipe

For my TV segment, I made the Maple Spiked Chocolate Hummus with Sea Salt and it was perfectly paired with apples, strawberries and Stacey's Cinnamon Pita Chips. 

Servings: 6
Serving size: 4 oz
www.regulargirl.com

Ingredients
15 oz Canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4c Unsweetened cocoa or carob powder
3 Tbsp Maple syrup
1.5 tsp Vanilla or rum extract
3 Tbsp water
6 Scoops Regular Girl powder
pinch Sea salt

Directions
1. In the bowl of a food processor, add all of the ingredients and a small pinch of salt, process until smooth.

2. If necessary, add 3-4 tablespoons water to adjust the consistency. This will depend on how dry the beans became after draining can.
3. Serve in a bowl and drizzle with maple syrup and top with cocoa powder and flaky salt.

Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week.

Who knew there were so many songs about losing your mind? Seems totally appropriate for this weeks playlist on Apple Music and Spotify.

Losing My Mind Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 


On my quest to cut down on the aluminum in my life, I decided I needed to make the switch from my super charged antiperspirants/deodorants I have been using. Guilty of alternating Certain Dri at night with Clinical anything during the day. I did a lot of research on what brands were good, what I should try and what I should expect. I have always been very concerned about my sweating and odor of my underarms, ever since I was a teen. Which I know has changed, because hormones. In my research, I learned there is about a 2 week time period for your body adjust to no aluminum, so the scents and sweat could be all over the map. I also learned, which I never knew, antiperspirants are what contains aluminum. It is also the culprit to yellow pit stains in your shirts. Another reason to transition away. What I was looking for was a nicely scented stick, that went on smoothly and didn't leave a lot of white residue because I love my black clothing. I narrowed it down to two brands:  Schimdt's and Tom's of Maine. I gave both of them a 2 week run to see which I like best and here are my results:

Schmidts Pros:  Lots of great scents, stick last a long time, controlled order and sweat nicely
Schmidts Cons:  Did not go on smoothly, leaves a white residue and has a lot of baking soda that is not easy on my sensitive skin, leaving a burning sensation after daily use. 

Tom's of Maine Pros:  Stick lasts a long time, controlled order and sweat nicely, goes on smooth, no white residue, no baking soda and great for my sensitive skin
Tom's of Maine Cons:  Scents are not very feminine, not a fan of the unscented

I apply twice a day to make sure I stay stink-free under pressure, once before bedtime and then when I get to work. It does not work as well when applied right after a shower, so it is good to give them a little time to dry. I am happy to report, I am liking the aluminum-free deodorant life, except when I forget to put it on. Ha!  Until next week....


~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment