6.03.2020

"No Longer Waiting For Perfect" Weekly Wisdom



Do you believe perfection is the enemy of happiness?

When I was a younger Anne, I truly had an ideal of what the world was like. Call it being a kid and not knowing better, call it being naive, call it being a little girl who just wanted to have fun with her friends, call it being a young child growing up in a very small town. 

I had no idea things were not perfect. I thought everyone got along, everyone was successful, everyone was happy. Why would it be any different?  I do not think my parents sheltered me from anything and answered all the questions I had, I just truly believed everything was perfect. 

My beliefs of perfection trickled into high school, then to college, onto my first job and my marriage. Only to find out, all of it was far from perfect. It crushed me. I failed because I couldn't make my life be now what it looked like it was when I was younger. I didn't see the kids who struggled in high school with grades, family, friends - until I truly felt the struggle myself. When I was younger, I didn't see college was hard, hard work until I got my lowest GPA in my life the first semester. I thought everyone went to work, drank coffee, had a great day and came home to their families with a huge smile on their face. Until I started my first job and realized crying in the parking lot before going in, was not the professional life I envisioned. I thought once you said "I do" everything would fall perfectly into place:  home, kids, and pure bliss. Until none of that happened, vows were broken and the marriage failed, ending in divorce. 
Pure perfection right there. 

Nothing is perfect. Hoping for perfect is stupid. Letting perfection derail your happiness, truly is on you. 

The world has been on fire for months now, and the idea of perfection is proving to not exist in this world. Only we can change and adapt to how we want the world to be, how we can stop waiting for perfect and do our best to make it great. It starts with one tiny idea in our brains of how we "think" our lives and our world should be and changing that thought into how we can make our lives and world the best it can be.

It starts with me, it starts with you, it starts with us. 

#embracethehellyeah

~AE

No comments:

Post a Comment