9.19.2018

#WeeklyWisdom and Top 5 Inspirational Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom.
#WeeklyWisdom - Last Days of Summer

How are you basking in the sun of the last days of summer?

I am not a fan of being hot and sweating...until September. This month, I cannot get enough because I know it is only a matter of time before it is gone for another 9 months and that makes me really sad. I do enjoy the seasons but it seems all the good ones don't last enough. 

My favorite thing about summer is the memories made during this season with my people. Even though the weather gets cooler, the memories are what keep me warm. I can channel all the amazing experiences I had over those short months and it truly is therapy for me when I am bundled up at home. I like to journal during the colder months about those memories and create my plan for making future summer adventures. 

There is nothing that will warm you up like reliving those special moments with the people you love. 


Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast on Apple Podcast featuring Registered Dietitian Amy Myrdal Miller

Today’s conversation is with Amy Myrdal Miller, a registered dietitian who through a variety of professional experiences, always comes back to her roots of being a farmer’s daughter.

When I was at FNCE a few years ago, I had the privilege to be there on behalf of Kids Eat Right. On one of the days, I was assigned to work the KER booth, it was “Meet Your Farmer Day” with Amy being the featured farmer. I briefly was able to chat with her in between the numerous other conversations she was having. I was newer to FNCE and I knew Amy has made a path for herself in our profession by the acknowledgement she received that day. Amy has had an amazing career with much variety and you can tell during our entire conversation,  Amy is passionate about being a dietitian but also experiences much joy in every thing she does.


Connect with Amy on her website Farmers Daughter Consulting, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

Nosh Three. Weekly Inspiration. 

Top 3 Ways For Summer Herbs to Last All Year Long
The last days of summer have me wanted to save all my fresh herbs from my container garden.

Summer is the time of year I am inspired to tap into my green thumb and attempt to grow the freshest and most flavorful produce. Many of us have some type of garden during these beautiful, warm months. I am a container gardener and focus my plantings on a variety of herbs, Roma tomatoes and onions. At the end of the summer, I have a plethora of herbs I don’t want to say goodbye to. There is nothing better than the taste of fresh herbs from the garden. 

Most of us have experience with preserving fruits and vegetables from our gardens, which can be applied to herbs as well. Adding herbs to your favorite dishes, maximizes flavor and decreases the need for additional salt, resulting in a healthier recipe. Many herbs, such as rosemary, thyme and sage are full of antioxidants. Did you know ½ teaspoon of dried oregano contains similar amounts of antioxidants as a ½ cup of sweet potatoes? 

To get started with preserving the herb-tastic bounty from your garden, begin with the freshest herbs, right after you harvest them. The morning hours are the best time to harvest herbs because there is less heat and direct sunlight that can affect the taste of the herbs. Do not choose herbs that have flowered, as they will have a more bitter taste. Clean them thoroughly with cool, running water and then gently pat dry with paper towels.
  1. Freezing. Chop herbs by hand or in a food processor and mix with water. Place herb/water mixture into ice cube trays and freeze until you are ready to use. It is easy to pop an herb ice cube in your favorite pasta sauce or soup. You can also place herbs into a plastic freezer bag.  Remove the leaves off the stem and make sure to press out all the air before sealing the bag. I recommend using frozen herbs within 8-12 months of freezing.  Freezing works best on basil, parsley, sage, cilantro, chives and mint. 
  2. Drying. There are two types of drying methods:  air and oven. For both methods, you want to make sure your herbs are completely dry with no excess water present after cleaning. This can result in mold or bacteria forming during the drying process. To air dry, tie the stems of the herbs together and hang upside-down in a warm, well ventilated space, away from sunlight. When the leaves crumble, or around 1-4 weeks, the herbs are dried. For the oven method, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I do not recommend laying the herbs directly onto a metal pan because it will alter the taste of the herbs. Warm the leaves at 150 degrees Celsius for 1-2 hours, checking frequently. I like to keep the oven door cracked open a bit to prevent over-drying. Store both air and oven dried herbs in an airtight container out of direct sunlight. Dried herbs maintain the most robust flavor within the first year. Drying works great for oregano, dill and rosemary. 
  3. Herb Butter. You can perk up your everyday dinner by melting it onto vegetables or on your favorite fish. My favorite way to enjoy herb butter is melted over freshly popped popcorn.  Let ½ cup of unsalted butter soften at room temperature and with a fork, gently blend the butter with 1-3 teaspoons of chopped herbs. Scoop the butter onto a piece of parchment paper and roll into a shape of a log. Wrap the herb butter tightly with parchment paper and twist the paper tightly on each end of the log. The butter will stay fresh for up to 2 months in your refrigerator, 6 months if frozen in a freezer-safe bag. To use, thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours. 
All three methods will allow you to savor the flavors of summer herbs, add color and nutrition to your meals and save you money all year long.

Night out with my bestie Brenda.
After saving all the herbs, I headed to Malvern, Iowa to hold onto the last days of Summer with my bestie, Brenda. 

Matt Nathanson Stir Cove, Council Bluffs, Iowa
We spent the singing the night away with Matt Nathanson at Stir Cove in Council Bluffs, Iowa. I find so much inspiration listening to live music. 

O.A.R. Stir Cove, Council Bluffs, Iowa.
...and dancing with O.A.R. There was a really cool storm happening right to the south of us. The whole evening was a perfect night spent with my heartbeats and I just felt pure bliss.

Life on the lake.
The next day we cruised around the lake. It was a beautiful Saturday with just the right amount of sun, sunscreen, great conversations, cocktails and times with friends. 

The perfect sunset on the lake.
The day ended with the most beautiful sunset, an after-lake BBQ and a crazy storm. Hard to believe there was a storm about 2 hours after this beauty.

Nosh Four. Weekly Music Inspiration. 

Live concerts will always lead to my weekly music playlist. I have been a fan of both for a long time and I hope you find one song you are a fan of. Find the playlist on Apple Music and Spotify

Matt Nathanson & O.A.R. Music Playlist of the Week

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now. 

The last days of summer have been hoooottttt, so I have still be on the quest for the best natural deodorant. Damn it is hard and there are so many options. I have been continuing my research and this brand, Dr. Hauschka, has been on a few lists so I thought I would give it whirl. I am digging it!  I am liking a roll on version. I think it is less sticky than the solid versions I have tried and it has now made the top of my list with Tom's of Main being second. It has been holding up in the last few steamy days of Summer, so I will continue the test in the fall as the layers get heavier.

Natural deodorant I'm liking right now, Dr. Hauschka Sage Mint

~AE

*All views and opinions on products, food and businesses in this blog post are my own and are not sponsored in any way. I just love to share great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment