3.14.2018

Weekly Wisdom and the Sweetest Top 5 Nutrition Noshes

Nosh One. Wisdom. 

Thoughts on Daylight Savings Time: I Don't Know If I need a Cookie, Cupcake and a Piece of Cake, a Shot of Vodka, a Hug or 1 Week of Sleep.

Happy National Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day! Well that was a mouthful. As I celebrate my fellow RDN's and myself, I really want to give a shoutout to Daylight Savings Time for making me 50 different ways of being confused, tired and hungry!  Why does it have to be this way?  I know there is science and other noted points to explain the reasons why I am all 3 and why over 70 countries practice it, but can I just forgo it and do my own thang? 

Why does Daylight Savings Time make me more hungry?  Simply put, a loss of sleep. There have been a few studies claiming sleep deprivation may increase our intake of about 500 calories a day 
and I believe it. 

Less sleep results in decrease of Leptin (fullness hormone) 

Decrease in Leptin = increased appetite 

It can take up to a week to get back in your sleep groove, resulting in a little weight gain over the course of the week after we switch those clocks forward. 

So what does a sleepy, hungry, and confused human do?  1) Try not to complain too much 2) Be an adult and try to be responsible, shut off your phone/TV and go to bed a little earlier 3) Eat whatever you want, it's only a week 4) Hug someone super tight 5) Vodka is delicious. 

Nosh Two. Weekly Conversation. 

Conversations with Anne Elizabeth Podcast featuring guest Dave Sherotski

Today’s conversation is with Dave Sherotski, who’s favorite things are Food & Booze, Fitness, Fun, Friends, Family & Philly

I think I may have a slight crush on my guest today because you should see his food photos he shares on Instagram and THEN you should read the witty captions. I started following Dave through other RD’s on this social media platform and knew by his second post, I would be a follower for life. Dave is creative in the kitchen and creative with his words, has always had a passion for cooking creatively since he was a kid cooking with his dad and grandpa because the women of his family refused to cook holiday dinners, has auditioned and competed for spots on a couple popular cooking shows and has currently found himself a food fan base.


Connect with Dave on Instagram

Nosh Three. Week in Review. 

First Birthday Girl!

How cute is this First Birthday Girl?  At the beginning of March, I was able to joyfully share in the celebrate of my godchild, Miss Finley. Her face is so serious here!  

Cupcakes and Kringla

Her mama and my friend Stacey, make some beautifully delicious cupcakes with pink strawberry frosting and sprinkles!  Which is the best way to celebrate a birthday. 

Cupcake

I think being child #4 also gives you a little more freedom in this busy house because Finely even got to grab her own kringla and go to town sitting on the dining room table, looking adorably cute in her pink tutu. 

Goddaughter Finley with Birthday Kringla


I am very lucky to be her Godmother with my friend Laura. I know this beautiful girl is going to rock this world and I look forward to watching it all happen. Here is to many more years to grow and conquer Finley!

Celebrating National School Breakfast Week with Des Moines Public Schools

Did you celebrate National School Breakfast Week?  I headed to Wright Elementary to provide a little Pick A Better Snack education and the kiddos were really rambunctious (so were the teachers) because it was also the start of spring break!  These years theme was "I Heart School Breakfast" and I just loved the shirt I got to wear.  

Did you know kids who eat school breakfast:

-Have higher levels of achievement in reading and math
-Score higher on standardized tests
-Have better concentration and memory
-Are more alert for school
-Maintain a healthy weight

Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS) provides all kinds of breakfast options for the kiddos and I am so happy they do. There are a lot of kids who do not have access to breakfast and need help, kids who forget to eat, or kids that do not have a way to put breakfast together in the morning. DMPS also provides FREE school breakfast for all 38 of their elementary schools. I am a HUGE supporter of school breakfast and it always looks delicious. DMPS uses Nutrislice, so everyone can access the menus and nutrition information for all their meals.  That morning they were having Savory Beef, Sausage, Egg and Cheese cups at Wright Elementary. I would have loved this as a kid!


Happy Birthday and Retirement Connie!

The end of the week was a busy one!  My Mom came down for the weekend, which was really fun because we always have a great time. We had an extra special event and that was celebrating my friend Jason's beautiful mama, Connie. Connie celebrated her birthday AND her retirement all in the same week, so a surprise party was in order. She was sooo surprised!  It was great!

TV Segment Prep with Sola Sweet Foods and Sweetener

I also geared up for a Sunday morning news segment with KCCI. This one was a little different and it was fun to have a friend on TV with me. Hy-Vee started carrying a new sugar substitute Sola® and a line of their products made with this sweetener. It is very unique and the products are tasty with minimal blood sugar impact. It may be a great option for individuals trying to control their blood sugars. All of the ingredients are made from foods you would find in nature like fruits and vegetables. There is little aftertaste and you use the same measurement in cooking as you would sugar. 

TV Segment with KCCI Channel 8 Des Moines, Iowa with Sola Sweet, Alyx Sacks and Chef Ryan Turner

I was joined by Chef Ryan Turner who created an amazing cook book for Sola®. It has over 300 recipes and all of them look pretty delicious. Chef Ryan is a true believer in real food, real ingredients and enjoying a healthier lifestyle. Something this dietitian can appreciate. 

Easy, Creamy and Delicious Chocolate Avocado Pudding Recipe, Keto Friendly

This was the recipe I choose for TV and I am so glad I did. I have been eyeing these avocado mousse recipes on Pinterest but there were so many, I really did not know which to choose. I liked Chef Ryan's simple and Vegan recipe option located on the Sola® website (link below), which you can choose any sweetener you like. I did make mine with Sola, but you can easily use sugar, agave, honey or another substitute that measures equally like sugar. 

CREAMY (VEGAN) CHOCOLATE-AVOCADO MOUSSE 

  • 2 large, ripe avocados
  • ½ cup (120 ml) unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/3 cup (40 g) good-quality, unsweetened cocoa powder (I like Navitas Organics Cacao)
  • ½ cup (95 g) Sola® sweetener
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch salt
  • Fresh raspberries to garnish
  • Chopped raw pistachios to garnish
  1. Place the almond milk, Sola® sweetener, and sifted cocoa powder into a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
  2. When the mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat to a steady simmer and continue to cook for two minutes until it is smooth and syrupy. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
  3. Scoop the avocado flesh into a food processor or high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Add the chocolate mixture and continue to blend until smooth and glossy.
  4. Spoon the mousse into four serving glasses, and place them in the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour. Garnish with fresh raspberries and enjoy.
Nosh Four. Workout Playlist of the Week. 

My podcast guest this week really influenced my playlist this week. Every Friday on Instagram, he shares his #FoodFetishFriday post. In Dave's honor, I give you my food inspired workout playlist of the week on Apple Music and Spotify

#FoodFetishFriday Inspired Workout Playlist of the Week on Apple Music and Spotify

Nosh Five. What I Love Right Now.

This whole blog has been about sweetness in some way and I just had to share what I love right now from my Gramma. I received a sweet note from my Gramma Alice for my birthday and I just was so touched to get it in the mail. There is something to be said for actually writing someone a note and sending it in the mail. No emails or text messages that take no thought or effort, but a personalized note filled with love. My challenge to you this week is to be sweet and write someone. It doesn't have to say much, just make the effort, go the extra mile. Thank you sweet Gramma for sending me this.

Handwritten Notes from Loved Ones


~AE

~None of this blog post is sponsored. All opinions and thoughts are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment